French long-stay visa for an american expat living in Dominica?

Dear Americans in Guadeloupe,

I am seeking advice regarding where I should apply for a long-stay visa for a French Overseas Department. I am an American citizen, a retired high school English teacher from California, and have been living in the Commonwealth of Dominica since 2009. Please share your success story with me.

In 2010 I started a relationship with a wonderful French man and fellow artist, also living in Dominica at the time, who has since moved to Marie-Galante.  We would like to be able to live together in Guadeloupe.  I have been researching the process to apply for my long-stay visa, but I am not sure whether I need to return to the USA to make the application in Los Angeles, or whether could I complete it nearer Guadeloupe where I am presently visiting.

I am also researching companies that provide expat medical insurance. Are there any that are approved of or preferred by the French government? I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Sincerely,
Robbi La Londe

Hi Patineuse,
If you want to apply for a long stay in France (whatever the region), you may go to the nearest French consulate/embassy of your residence that will provide you all the necessary information

hope this will help.

Hello Chichine,

Thank you for your response. Do you have any suggestions regarding medical insurance companies to meet the requirements for the visa?

Merci, Patineuse