Cost of living

I am relocating from the gulf coast in Al.  We have plentiful fresh seafood. Does anyone know how easy it is to get local seafood and the price? Do they harvest prawns or shrimp?

Fresh seafood is plentiful in Las Terrenas, and I would assume that is true throughout the country with the possible exception of some more rural inland areas. Price depends on the type of seafood.

I know they harvest prawns - we have local guys that sell them on the street. We call them "prawn peddlers" or refer to it as "street shrimp".  :lol:

Also, negotiating is expected here! That's one of the reasons that many of us end up paying "gringo prices". They might tell you something is 300 DOP a pound, but they'd be happy to get 150.

Thanks that just the info I need. Do you negotiate most items in a street market atmosphere? Is the infrastructure where there are local stands for produce, mom & pop stores, commercial stores.  I am trying to get a feel for the culture. Do the Dominican's like Americans?

Here in Las Terrenas, we have dozens of tiny colmados, probably a dozen decent sized colmados, a bunch of produce stands, three smaller supermarkets and two major supermarkets. Only one of the supermarkets is part of a chain and the rest are independent. We don't negotiate at any of those.

It's the places that don't have published prices where you can easily negotiate. There are a couple of liquor stores that we will not frequent because they don't have prices on anything! I'm sure I would be charged considerably more than a Dominican, or even a gringo that the owner knows.

At the fish market on the beach, haggling is expected. We do haggle with the vendors that walk around selling their wares - whether that's coconut oil (some of the best I've ever found!), cocoa bars, wooden trinkets, or whatever!

Presidente cost increase.

As of today the cost of Presidente beer rises by 9% or about 10 pesos a bottle.

https://noticiassin.com/pais/cerveceria … on-1105109

You might find the carton/pack you plan to buy to stock up at home in the coming days has increased.

lennoxnev wrote:

Presidente cost increase.

As of today the cost of Presidente beer rises by 9% or about 10 pesos a bottle.

https://noticiassin.com/pais/cerveceria … on-1105109

You might find the carton/pack you plan to buy to stock up at home in the coming days has increased.

Lennox, you have revealed much about your personal priorities!!    It's the BEER price increases that count!!
:lol::D:top::):cheers:;)   

Said in jest and with affinity . . .!

I drink far less beer these days - a bottle or can or two after a hot day or with bbq.

The cost of wine is what matters and Ive been finding some bargains at Carrefour of late.

The Presidente increase is significant for the locals though with a grande going up to maybe 150 pesos at some colmados. And the cost  buying six packs or cartons will be noticable.

I haven't seen anything but last time I was in the supermarket they did not have Presidente. The manager mentioned it was bought by a Brazilian company. Not sure if true though.

DRVisitor wrote:

I haven't seen anything but last time I was in the supermarket they did not have Presidente. The manager mentioned it was bought by a Brazilian company. Not sure if true though.

AmBev, the Brazilian arm of Anheuser-Busch, bought a controlling stake in 2012. I haven't heard of anything happening recently.