Moving to Panama just before the crisis

Hi everybody,

Taking the plunge and daring to move abroad is a real challenge, but when your move to Panama is marked by an unprecedented health, social and economic crisis, as we have been experiencing for just over a year, this change can be much more significant and demanding. If you moved to Panama shortly before or during the pandemic, we would like to know more about your experience.

When and under what circumstances did you move to Panama?

What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

Have you had the opportunity to discover the country or the region where you are staying despite that?

Do you feel "at home" in this new place?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

My son and I moved to Panama in November of 2019, in hopes of beginning a new life. On March 12, 2020, the lockdown began. It was extremely trying at times, especially for my son, who is only 12-years-old. Children were not allowed to leave the apartment for approximately three months, which I considered to be tortuous and unhealthy for any adolescent. Luckily, Panama had delivery services running and we made the best of it. However, on May 31, I received the call that all children dread.... My sister called to tell me that our father had died unexpectedly. Humanitarian flights were leaving every Wednesday, and my family held the funeral until we could get home. Heartbreakingly, the pilot decided to lock the door an hour and a half before the scheduled departure time, and refused to let us board. That was the most difficult thing that I had to deal with.
Almost two years later, we are still forced to wear these ineffective oxygen prohibitors, and an untested vaccine is being touted as a necessity (My opinion only, factual research available).
We love Panama, and do not want to leave. Time will tell...
Questions welcomed, criticism is not.