Moving to Cambodia just before the crisis

Hi everybody,

Taking the plunge and daring to move abroad is a real challenge, but when your move to Cambodia is marked by an unprecedented health, social and economic crisis, as we have been experiencing for just over a year, this change can be much more significant and demanding. If you moved to Cambodia shortly before or during the pandemic, we would like to know more about your experience.

When and under what circumstances did you move to Cambodia?

What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

Have you had the opportunity to discover the country or the region where you are staying despite that?

Do you feel "at home" in this new place?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

I got to Cambodia on 26 December in 2019 to start my new job as a Secondary School Administrator at a large International School in Toul Tompoung.  I am originally from Fresno, California.  I was able to settle into a great neighborhood, was given the opportunity to tour the area to find shopping, the mall, restaurants, and entertainment venues.  I made some great friends both local and ex-pat at the school.  I also joined a local church fellowship, International Christian Fellowship.

As the school transitioned to virtual/online education I continued to travel throughout the city and especially fell in love with the Riverside area.  I made many new friends at Lux Riverside Hotel, Olala and Neil's Mini Mart on 136, Tao Residence and La Croisette on 144.  The staff and expats I met at these places have continued to be true friends.

I left my job as an administrator in July 2020 and took another job as a university assistant professor of English in January of 2021.  I am currently still in this position and working virtually/online from home.  I have also moved to the Riverside area and reside behind the Royal Palace on Street 19.  The quarantine was okay, but the lockdown is a bit hard when you are used to etting out each day.  I have still been able to shop once or twice a week, and I keep in touch with friends through Facebook, Telegram, Line, and Whatsap.  I feel safe, but will be glad when we can go out again.

This is my story.

Ha I'm from San Luis Obispo , I guess no offense because I was born in Bakersfield, so if you can live in Fresno then cambodia is luxury! Good luck I'm similar yet now in Vietnam, I lived in Phnom Penh three years loved it ! Go bulldogs ! I'm thinking only you and I know what this means ha ha

ARRF...ARRF...ARRF
Fresno State

It's mustangs my friend

Now that does not make sense. Some of my co-workers are Fresno State graduates and that is what they do.
Nevertheless, in my case "Go Lopes"

Apokalis wrote:

Now that does not make sense. Some of my co-workers are Fresno State graduates and that is what they do.
Nevertheless, in my case "Go Lopes"

https://brand.fresnostate.edu/visual-identity/athletics-brand-guidelines/official-logos.html

Hi Diksha,
I have been coming to Phnom Penh for 6 years now every 6 months of each year I am retired as is my cambidian partner, we own a flat in Phnom Penh, in October 2019 I came back with my partner after we had 6 months sailing on my schooner in the UK, and I have been here ever since, and my flight was cancelled in March 2020, so to date and continued to be cancelled, as the situation in the UK EU USA and Asia became more untenable by the aircraft industry and stopped people moving anywere, and covid spread unabated, but fortunately we are both people who follow the path of contentment, we have a home in daun Penh have funds a tv and are happy with each other's company, we have followed the rules as laid down by the government to the letter,we have isolated our selves except for fortnightly shopping and paying utility bills, we have both had our two jabs of sinovac, courtesy of the cambodian goverment and the Chinese vaccine, and are still ok, we are very respectfull of the government regulations and continue to observe the rules, because cambodia does not have the resources of the UK, but has done far better then the UK, I think the cambodian people are much more able to adapt to hard conditions, and tend to just accept the situation and live with it, the organisation of the vaccine program in Cambodia is very organised and I have seen it for myself so I know it's as I say, I am in a position were I and my partner are retired so we have no work to worry about losing and income to support a comfortable life, which does not include crawling the bars, but life is limited to were we can go so is not work the risk, I miss the sauna and steam at the sun& moon, my partners grandchildren, Waka along the riverside, going to my partners homeland and her other families homelands, I miss sailing my schooner, but it's no big deal 4 million have died and I don't want to make it worse by travelling everywere and spreading the virus, as we don't know weather we are just carriers, to sun up my situation, I love Cambodia it's a country with a long history heritage that has not changed for thousands of years, it's people are kind polite try Thier best to help you, they have a well respected king and accepted goverment and a strong president not I guess accepted by all but, you can't please everyone, but from what I see, he has done great things for cambodia and it's people, and has dealt with the pandemic in a controlled way trying to save economy and people with limited resources, and I will say with the help of the world comunity and China in particular cambodia and it's people will come through this, like they have in the past,