Self Employment

Is self employment possible?  I am a auto mechanic with over 40 years experience. The climate would make my late years much easier then north central pennsylvannia.

I plan on working till I drop. Possess electronics and conventional machine tool experience.

How's your Spanish?

Here, here.  I have the same plan.  Work is play for me so I will keep working until I can't.  But my work is easy.  Writing and video editing via the net.  Plan to live here and even on this first trip I keep working there.  Work for clients in the states via the net.  So if you can do your work remotely online it is pretty easy.  But if you are going to do your work physically here I have no idea.  First thing you would have to do is master Spanish, then work for a local that already has the market or build a business.  Not something I would want to attempt.

JDF's conclusion is questionable, but the concept he is employing is ideal for digital nomads and other Expat hopefuls...

Build an internet business, in this case video editing, line up clients in your home country using your first language .. and then move anywhere in the world where you can upload and download your work.

If you are savvy enough to move first and attract clients by demonstrating your remote work, that's viable too.

The realities of the pandemic have opened people's minds to the possibilities of doing more things remotely.

Bravo. :top:

cccmedia

James W. Barrett wrote:

I am an auto mechanic with over 40 years experience. The climate would make my late years much easier than north central pennsylvannia.

Your solution, James, may be snow-birding.

Spend the winters in Ecuador or some place milder than north central PA .. and work in your longtime industry back in the Keystone State for six to nine (milder) months of the year.

The trick is to find customers or an employer who lets you take the cold months off.  I did it in Minnesota and Colorado in a different industry for certain years before moving to Ecuador full-time in 2013.

What would you do with your extra time in Ecuador?  Volunteer, study Spanish, figure out how to get part-time gigs that utilize your mechanic experience.

cccmedia, former resident and worker in Bethlehem, PA

cccmedia wrote:

cccmedia, former resident and worker in Bethlehem, PA

Hey, awesome! I live in Easton, just next door to Bethlehem!

Damon.