Confusion about Rentista Program

Hi everyone! My family and I are looking to move to Costa Rica in January 2022.

We have started to look into temporary visa options and I'm a little confused about the Rentista program and would love your feedback before diving down a rabbit hole! It seems as though in order to qualify, you must deposit $30K a year (over a 2 year period totaling $60K). Do you then pull money from that $30K monthly for expenses or is it unable to be touched? Also, I read that another option is to receive $2500 monthly from investment income over the last 2 years. Before applying, does this investment income need to be from the same source or how does that two year timeline work?

I would love some guidance on this, I've been diving into readings online but starting with someone who has experienced it seems like an easier way to get a general sense of direction. Thank you so much in advance!

If the laws haven't changed, the $60 grand is available but i believe  you're  only going to get something  like  $2500 monthly out of your account. Make sure you have docs. of  where your money comes from. Like selling a house .

You are required to deposit US$60K, when starting the application process, then a further US$60K  two years later.  After being granted residency $2500  will be transferred every month, into your 'cost of living account.' You then use the US$2500 for your living expenses, but you can't, for example,  take out $10k to purchase a car or additional living expenses. You would need to have sufficient funds for additional purchases.

Be aware, if you are under 55 , your monthly  healthcare premiums could be in the $400+ range, however you will not be covered by the socialized healthcare system until you have completed the application process, which can take a very long time...so be prepared to pay 'over the counter' and private medical facilities and doctors, when needed..

You can use a different source for the second deposit.

This bit is excerpted from a recent International Living piece on Costa Rica:

residence is easy to secure. Retirees need just $1,000 a month per couple from Social Security or a pension to qualify. If you're not yet at retirement age, you can seek rentista residence, which requires $2,500 a month in interest income from an investment like a certificate of deposit or a one-time deposit of $60,000 in a Costa Rican bank.

If you haven't visited their website, it's worth it for there's a fair amount of free info. available.

Unfortunately, most websites do not list the the need for the second deposit...however it is required. We did go that route, albeit quite a few years ago. One of the best websites is Costa Rica Law, which will answer questions you didn't realize that you should ask.

I lived in CR for over 18 years and sorry to say, I don't agree with a lot of what is written by International Living.

*Rereading the original post by brogan6, if you choose to have another child that is born in CR, you can 'skip' many of the requirements by applying for residency based on [b]THE IMMEDIATE RELATIVE PETITION[/b]

This category of residency is available to foreigners who are immediate relatives of a Costa Rica citizen, (i.e. your child).

Thank you soo much everyone, this is beyond helpful to get started with!!

I thought it was $60K deposited in a Government owned bank and you have to draw $2500 a month off it and at the end of 12 months you have to replenish the $60K for a total of 3 years

I apologize for going off course, I have a question do you think CR will keep this health pass in effect permanently since it's a money maker for the government

At the present time, there is only two separate deposits required, the first at the beginning of the application process, then the second two years later. At the third year, one can apply for Permanent residency which requires no further financial deposits. Once a Permanent Resident, one has to renew their cedula, after two years and then again at a longer interlude as time goes on.

After one has lived in CR after consistently living for a total of 7 years, they can apply for citizen ship, if they wish.