Glasgow living costs and general advice

Hey there! I'm a dual citizen (Australian/British) and have been living in London for around six years. I've been sharehousing for almost 12 years now and while I've had some great times, I'm keen to move into my own place. I've determined that London, while doable, won't leave me with a lot of savings so I'm exploring the option to relocate to my organisation's Glasgow office. Other reasons include better access to nature and to explore future career pathways in digital marketing. Numbeo is helpful but not sure how accurate it is. I would also lose London weighting leaving me with approximately £1870 per month in take home pay if I move. I would say £650 - £700 a month max in rent is reasonable, factoring in council tax (£100 per month max) and bills, but can't say for sure if this is a good estimate having never lived on my own before! I don't have any massive preferences on which area I live in as long as it's within 30mins of the city and is a safer, pleasant area. On the plus side, I only have to support myself which counts for something.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Numbeo is normally 2/3 months behind the cost curve.  Glasgow isn't cheap, but it does have outstanding public transport that runs from there across the central belt, so to cheaper zones.  The problem then is that Numbeo doesn't go down as far as the small towns.

My advice would be to take a couple of weeks off once the lock-down is sorted and look around the towns between Paisley and Kirkcaldy and Musselburgh.

Also, speak to your colleagues in your Glasgow office, see what they have to say on the matter.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cheers. I definitely plan to pay a visit when possible! One of my colleagues recently moved up there from London but she hasn't been there long enough to paint an accurate picture. Would you recommend looking at lower rental prices? Thanks for your feedback!

There's the old adage that you shouldn't spend between 35 > 45% of your salary on rent and utilities; more than that and you'll have nothing left to enjoy life.  Check online at the agencies (I just checked on Rightmove (link) and those numbers you mentioned seem to be available.

Great! It seems like there's a pretty broad selection. Yes, you're totally correct on the rent/utility ratio. That's what I aim for and the reason I live in a house share! I'm hoping to move around July if things go well. I imagine it's going to get busier in August when uni students return but with covid it might be different. Thanks for all your help!