Public transport (bus)

Typically I only use my own car (but was in garage) when going to our vaccine point I noticed that the normal busses (Volan) did not have any entry to pay for the trip (which honestly makes sense). Apparently you have to buy a (seasonal) ticket at central points, whereas I read something about this I did not take it seriously.
Would anybody have some concrete views on the item?

I suppose if will last for some time,

I ride for free...
Over 65 with perm resident card.
Of course nothing is ever really free.
Like the old Hippie bumper sticker said,"Gas, grass or **S, nobody rides for free."
They are getting serious though about checking tickets and ID's, at least around Budapest they are.

cdw057 wrote:

Typically I only use my own car (but was in garage) when going to our vaccine point I noticed that the normal buses (Volan) did not have any entry to pay for the trip (which honestly makes sense). Apparently you have to buy a (seasonal) ticket at central points, whereas I read something about this I did not take it seriously.
Would anybody have some concrete views on the item?

I suppose if will last for some time,

I've never been on a Volan bus even though I see them around here.  There are automated ticket machines at the bus stations and at some stops (seen them particularly at Kelenfold).  There are different machines for BKK/BKV (Budapest) and Volan. 

I know here, we're just a few hundred metres outside of Budapest so we have to buy a "local" ticket for the few hundred metres plus another ticket for within Budapest.  Or we can walk 20 minutes up a hill to be within the Budapest area - save about 1 EUR.

I cannot believe you need a season ticket for Volan.  You must be able to buy single tickets.  If you got them from the driver, it'd probably cost more.

Right now, no access to the driver, serious looking blocks, in the past indeed you could buy a ticket (HUF 250)  single way from where I live to Heviz.
I have to see how things will change (or not).

I will do some more research on the net to see if online tickets are possible (but no from what I have seen so far)

This may help you...... Down load the app onto your phone....then delete it when you dot need it anymore..

https://bkk.hu/mobiljegy/

It does seem odd to have to buy a full season ticket. I'm sure they must sell single tickets from a machine or at the main bus station in your area.
I have never ridden a Voltan bus either.
If you plan on using your car in the future then it would be a waste to buy a season ticket and not use it.

You can buy them in the mobile app for sure.

Thanks Atomheart !!, I will try via internet, mobile apps are too modern for me :(

cdw057 wrote:

Thanks Atomheart !!, I will try via internet, mobile apps are too modern for me :(

I understand.
We bought an I phone 3 when it was new and never used it. Then the battery exploded.
Recently we went to a shop to get a new battery after allwing the phone to sit in the drawer for years. The battery would cost more then the phne was worth.
Bought a brand new "smart" phone a couple months back. Again just sitting in the drawer. We use our old cell phone if ever needed that is a good 20 or so years old.
What is wrong with us? I dn't know but we have zero interest in having a working smart phone.
Again , perhaps another waste of hundrends of bucks on a phone that will be utdated again at any time.
Don't laugh, I still perfer my music on tape and CD.
My collection of vinyl is in stoerage but I miss those classic sounds, scratches and all.
OK, to stay on topic, we rode the bus today across town and no one was checking tickets.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

I understand.
We bought an I phone 3 when it was new and never used it. Then the battery exploded.
Recently we went to a shop to get a new battery after allwing the phone to sit in the drawer for years. The battery would cost more then the phne was worth.
Bought a brand new "smart" phone a couple months back. Again just sitting in the drawer. We use our old cell phone if ever needed that is a good 20 or so years old.
What is wrong with us? I dn't know but we have zero interest in having a working smart phone.
Again , perhaps another waste of hundrends of bucks on a phone that will be utdated again at any time.
My collection of vinyl is in stoerage but I miss those classic sounds, scratches and all.
OK, to stay on topic, we rode the bus today across town and no one was checking tickets.

Nowt wrong with CDs or DVDs I still have mine that I play from time to time. But I use Spotify a lot as I have it on my TV and Laptop, also on my Cell phone which I use a lot when out and about. They also have some good podcasts.

SimCityAT wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

I understand.

Nowt wrong with CDs or DVDs I still have mine that I play from time to time. But I use Spotify a lot as I have it on my TV and Laptop, also on my Cell phone which I use a lot when out and about. They also have some good podcasts.

I've ripped all mine to digital format and I only use that now. 

I can get my entire CD collection on my smartphone about 10 times!  I plan to give my DVD collection to a charity shop sometime - if I can find one.  They are very few and far between here. 

I was given about 50 DVDs by someone here a few years ago.  I watch most of them but they were mainly in Scandinavian languages plus English and a few other languages. In the end I gave them to a French speaking expat who I worked with once.

He was based in West Africa and said he had no good access to the Internet so relying on DVDs.  I think him and his missus watched them, then gave them to a school in the end.   

So somewhere, out there, there are a group of African folks with intimate knowledge of Scandinavian cinema of the early 2000s.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I understand.

I've ripped all mine to digital format and I only use that now. 

I can get my entire CD collection on my smartphone about 10 times!  I plan to give my DVD collection to a charity shop sometime - if I can find one.  They are very few and far between here. 

I was given about 50 DVDs by someone here a few years ago.  I watch most of them but they were mainly in Scandinavian languages plus English and a few other languages. In the end I gave them to a French speaking expat who I worked with once.

He was based in West Africa and said he had no good access to the Internet so relying on DVDs.  I think him and his missus watched them, then gave them to a school in the end.   

So somewhere, out there, there are a group of African folks with intimate knowledge of Scandinavian cinema of the early 2000s.

I did have a heap on music on an exteral drive which was fine until the misses dropped it and broke it.

I do plan to give my DVD collection away at some point maybe someone who wants to improve their English?

SimCityAT wrote:

I did have a heap on music on an exteral drive which was fine until the misses dropped it and broke it.

I do plan to give my DVD collection away at some point maybe someone who wants to improve their English?

Dropping a  disk will indeed damage it.

Maybe just compress it all into a ZIP file and store it on an SSD (Solid State Drive)  or the Cloud somewhere.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Maybe just compress it all into a ZIP file and store it on an SSD (Solid State Drive)  or the Cloud somewhere.

It was like a brick, only held 500Gb. I bought a new one the size of a credit card and its 1000Gb, so slowly adding stuff to it. I just had every Queen album, single ever made on it, oh and Nina Simone on my old one. Oh well.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

It was like a brick, only held 500Gb. I bought a new one the size of a credit card and its 1000Gb, so slowly adding stuff to it. I just had every Queen album, single ever made on it, oh and Nina Simone on my old one. Oh well.

Sure, the density of storage is increasing and the cost is reducing.  The rule is half the price and double the capacity each year.  My laptop started out with a 256GB SSD in it, then a 500 GB SSD and now it's got a 1TB SSD.  I've doubled the RAM to 16GB, taken out the CD/DVD drive and replaced it with a second disk drive of 2TB.  It's quite bad really - how does one back up so much data ?  I copy  some of it across my network overnight to set of networked disk drives I have.  I usually copy it before I leave on a trip just in case.  But I am now considering automatically replicating very important files to Cloud storage.  I already have 2TB of online storage for £100 a year.

Anyway, I know the feeling of loss.  All my 45rpm singles were stolen in a UK burglary and most of my 33rpm albums as well.  Included a few original Beatles and David Bowie singles too.

We are woefully off topic.