Couple trying to Enter Spain from UK

Hi,

Me and my girlfriend are currently stuck in London (where I am from) and trying to figure if we can enter Spain in April/May to live in Barcelona which we've planned to do but been stuck because of Covid. I've been fully vaccinated.

She is Peruvian and planning to start studying in July, I am planning to enrol in a short course which can start in May. So we would be entering as people who are enrolled in courses but I'm not sure if this is enough. We will obviously move ahead and get required documentation in Spain (NIE, student visas etc.)

The language on the current Spain law states you can enter if:

Students enrolled in courses starting after 1 January 2021 who carry out their studies in an EU Member or Schengen state and who have the corresponding permit or visa and medical insurance, provided that they are travelling to the country where they are studying, and that entry occurs during the academic year or 15 days previous. Students who started an on-site or in-person course in Spain prior to 1 January 2021 will not require a permit or visa to enter, but should be prepared to provide evidence of this, such as a residence document or proof of enrolment and accommodation (dated prior to 1 January 2021).

I also have access to a French passport which I need to renew. This is currently impossible in London due to limits on appointments due to covid. My plan would be as follows:

1. Enter Spain on my British passport as a student who is enrolled in a course and starting in May.
2.  Within my 90 days in my British passport go to France from Barcelona and renew my French passport 
3. Enter Spain as a French Citizen

I'm not sure if I've overlooked anything and how foolproof this plan is. The issue seems to be entering Spain initially on my British passport. We are looking to live in Spain, not go as tourists but want to do research before starting down this route and obviously avoid getting turned back at the airport.

Any advice or help appreciated!

When in doubt, ask the embassy. Either email asking for a link where they explain the process or go directly to them. (you're lucky to live there currently, we have to travel from Wales! Student visas are different from other ones. I got permission to travel easily. I registered interest on a property online and the estate agent gives you a letter that enables travel throughout Spain in order to buy property. That's how we are having free travel. It doesn't matter if you end up not buying afterwards. No obligation, but the letter will suffice. I don't know about vaccines. I hope this helps

Reentering Spain as French could complicate things with your earlier paperwork and status in Spain. You should look into how much time it requires to change those. May be more difficult than redoing. If you could get your French passport and enter it would be much easier. Passport may not be required even, possibly a citizen's id or any paperwork that shows that you are a French citizen may be enough. You should investigate those avenues.

Sounds like a plan. But what about your girlfriend? I think Peru is under the list of countries like Argentina, which require minimal visa requirements. But you being French, it could work. Maybe make the French consulate appointment, via email before you leave the UK. They may have the same closed due to covid story, then you travelled and still get nowhere. Also, if you enrol in a course, think about how a 'friendly' lecturer or DEan could stamp a document pre-January 2020. They do 'that sort of thing' there. Their aim is to get your school fees