School recommendation- English speaking

Hello everyone!

My family and I are planning to move to Belgium in summer. Can you give me recommendations on which international school I can put my 3 adorable kids?  My eldest is a 14-year-old boy who loves sports, my 11-year-old girl loves Science and is also taking French class in her current school, and my youngest is only 9, who I believe is an artist in the making (the mom in me talking😊). I would appreciate all your suggestions because our choice of home will depend on our children's school location. Thanks!

Welcome on our forum,

While understanding your needs for the future of your children, this question has already been debated dozens of times in the past.

So please do as we advise all newcomers, take the time to read:
- guides published by the site. They can be found under the "discover" tab
- old discussions that you can filter with our search tool located next to your avatar.

Have a good day and good luck in your expatriation.

Small advice as the father of children speaking several European languages, put your children in public education so that they learn either French or Dutch. They will be a little difficult at first but in less than three months they will be comfortable.

it also depends on how much time ahead you're planning this. Int.schls usually have a long waiting list and a nightmare filter. Admissions, appointments etc  go very slow, lots of tests, investigation, your work, and so forth. 2 sides; it could be either too much pressure on your kids and end up hating it or piece of cake and enjoy it. Me too, I've tried this, but took too long, tons of paperwork, time was running out, had no support; last moment had to hurry to find a local state school, which ended up fine too. I agree with language not a problem. True. Besides, if you're planning to settle in one location, it is nice for the kids to have local friends and bike together to school. We know environment is different, foundation for the future etc (I totally get it) also depends on your status, like diplomats etc. My tip will be to consider more or less 6 months for all the burocrasy, before the actual school day 1.  Hey, it's a very good decision, int-schl will always give more options for the future, you didn't say where exactly so it is difficult to give proper recommendations. there is a very good one in Oostende for example, I wanted this for my child, but my work and house were some 40 minutes drive (me back.n.forth every day 2 hrs!) and it got complicated. This one I believe still offers internate, but we didn't need this option. Just saying. With the years I've learnt a lot about local state schools in the benelux area, It can be tricky. I encourage you keep asking for info on int,sch. But consider several months from step 1 'apply'  to the final 'yes'. Local state school can be very good to, it will surprise you. If you are already in Belgium, use now April and May school open day to visit the building, if not -check their virtual info sessions together with your kids, get a feeling, exact info, Lots of expats kids too in state schools, depending on the area. here to help. Good luck.

To add, when we did this, we considered an International school, but the cost alone made that impossible.  So all 3 went to the local public school; within a few months they were speaking Dutch with their friends; you won't be the first mom to have been in this situation.

Absolutely untrue private schools have lo g waiting lists in Belgium.  Hardly any do. Tests for admissions? Really rare in Belgium.

Belgium has no state schools. Public schools ade the competence of the 3 language communities.

Exactly :-)

Reply to Cynic, was my "exactly" . Ok, I'm out, Good luck.