Motorcyclists to Wear ID Vests from 1st June.

@planner

Thanks.

Here is the camera info:  Vantop discovery h612t

My husband said it was super easy to install. If you order it, make sure to order the correct type of SD card.
@Karin1, your frustrations relect not being able to drive in the conditions set in your own country.

The reality this type of driving is to be found worldwide. Believe me I have seen worse in numerous countries in which I have lived and travelled as an expat.

DR just needs a government to start appling laws which are not much different to your country.

For 20 years DR has done nothing. In 20 months changes have started.

Relevant to the thread, in 1 year the number of licensed and registered moto drivers has gone from 17k to 550k despite what posters wrote earlier in the thread. Give it another year and now fines and hopefully this so called 'joke' will encompass 40% of moto drivers and 60% soon after.

A joke is when you continue to let the carnage of moto drivers continue without action. Yes it was a joke doing nothing new. To go from 17k to 2.8m was not going to happen anywhere in 12 months. We need to be realistic and concur with the efforts being made to increase numbers, train and pay a decent wage to Digisett employees, and so be able to begin to apply transit laws to a country that has had decades of disregard.

I personally don't believe in DR it is any more difficult to drive if you have been taught defensive driving techniques and understand developing nations.
I would also add, I bet many expats driving motos or quads in Las Terrenas and popular North Coast destinations, are overstayers and so are driving illegally too and surely that is double frustration because they should know better.
Many many Dominicans complain long and loud about the driving here.  It is not correct to say it's expats bringing their expectations here.
That's pure BS!

Some expats are part of the issue, sure.  But for the most part this is uneducated Dominican drivers.  The govt has started to do something about it but frankly it's way too little way too late!
We all agree driving is somewhat less disciplined than the recent Transit law requires, but to change that requires time, education and adequately trained resources too. Bad driving is also linked to machoism too and is generally accepted as acceptable by most Dominicans.

Back to the thread topic, motos, they are for many the only means of transport and work. To change families from travelling en masse on a moto or a driver carrying what he needs for his daily sustinence requires growing the economy and taking people out of poverty such that they can use motos as they are intended. The idea of getting the motos which are driven by at least 30% of the popultation, registered and riders licensed has to be the first step along with education. Surely stickers on helmets to show legality is a good idea? And 550k in a year and more registration centres opening in other provinces and shortly fines where registration has been open for some time are also good actions? So is subsidizing fuel for motoconcho drivers providing cheap city transport as was announced yesterday.

Yes this should have happened in decades past but there was never the will other than token gestures in those past governments for whatever reason.

As for expats, they should not be abusing the Transit laws and they shouldn't need educating and all should be complying.
Remember, this process involves getting a DR license........

Not all 'visitors' here will qualify
And I see they are installing fiberglass sewer covers, with theft protection, in SD. Missing covers are certainly a threat to bikes. Progress.
Many many Dominicans complain long and loud about the driving here.  It is not correct to say it's expats bringing their expectations here.
That's pure BS!

Some expats are part of the issue, sure.  But for the most part this is uneducated Dominican drivers.  The govt has started to do something about it but frankly it's way too little way too late!
- @planner

Thank you Planner.  I completely agree with you. 

@RockyM Yes, we have noticed that as well but sadly, they have sunk them so low in the new asphalt that if a car hits i,t you feel like your ass has hit the ground.  I wish they would do a better job of trying to level off the new manhole covers and the asphalt.  We were coming home the other evening on a road recently paved and not one we travel often at all and I thought the axle was going to break when we hit it. 

My husband is Dominican, although having spent most of his life in the U.S. and all of his family are Dominican who grew up here and come back to visit.  He also has family in Santo Domingo and Santiago who have never left the country and feel just as I do.  It is the uncaring, disrespectful, I am the only one on the road mentality which causes so many accidents.  There have been helmet laws, license plate laws, laws about the number of people permitted on the road, etc yet, people CHOOSE to ignore the law and do what they want.  For example, wearing a helmet is a law BUT, it should be common sense to protect your head if in an accident yet they don't do it.  Why?  Then the family wants to cry on TV after their loved one has died.  I see people arguing with the police and then pulling off or ignoring when an AMET or Digisett officer tries to pull them over.  Who does that lennoxnev?  I would never consider doing such a thing.  I have traveled to several other countries as well and while some areas and driving may be bad, I have not seen such disrespect for the law.  Now, I am not saying other countries are perfect, they are far from it and have their own challenges but, look at the high percentage of traffic accidents here.  One perfect example is near my home (nearby to the Jardin Botanico) people are constantly driving on the wrong side of the road, in the opposite direction, on the sidewalk, with no plates, no helmets, etc.  They run the light, drive while looking at the phone, and ignore when AMET occasionally does their job and pulls someone over.  The other day (after ignoring AMET to pull over), the man continued to drive on his motorcycle while looking down at his phone (no helmet on) and was too distracted that he didn't see the parked car on the street, smashed into the back of it at a fairly high speed, flew up in the air and across the street and nearly run over by a car.  Now, had he worn his legally required helmet, respected the officer who tried to pull him over for not wearing the helmet, and NOT been on the phone (again, against the law), he would be alive today.  It is scenarios like this that could have been prevented.

People have to want to improve and respect the laws/others/ and property, and the government has to do its job and enforce the laws.  What is sad but true is that the government of the DR is afraid of its own people and allows the mafias to rule. All of the tax money collected needs to be put to good use.  Get police cars and more motos for enforcement, have the officers get off there phones and be more proactive, take unsafe cars and taxis off the road, and confiscate motos and cars from the unlicensed. Sure, this will take time and there will be a fight from the general public but overall, more people's lives will be saved.  I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that when out with my family, others follow the laws which are in place just as we do.

Rant done.... (sorry)
Rant respected.  You are saying what many of us  think!
Cabrera is certainly taking this reg'n seriously.........

# of my people done it....one lined up for 5 hrs.....the other +/- 2hrs
I've seen long lines of people in Las Terrenas! They have a mobile office set up at the Multiuso.
Yes, mobile office in Cabrera all week.... VERY BUSY !!!
So what I posted on 28th June from Diario Libre wasn't a joke. Seems some are taking it seriously to add to the 550k!
Yes - I would say so....
Hundreds of motorcyclists waited for the last day to register their motorcycles

Tomorrow begins seizure of motors in five provinces

Tomorrow fines and seizures start in Santo Domingo, National District, Santiago, San Cristobal and San Fransico de Macoris.

Panic has set in trying to get registered with large queues. The total number registered has risen by c90k in last two weeks to 590k. A long way and some years to go. Good start. Fines should move it along.
It has been conformed that moto drivers who get stopped in the five areas mentioned will be fined 1000 pesos if they are not registered but their motos will not be confiscated.

The inspection of non registered motos begins today and there are huge queues now at the registration centres in SD, SFM and Santiago. In Santiago alone they are registering and issuing licenses to 1000 daily now.

Here in the campo, registration has also started. A mobile unit was to be seen in Cevicos (pop. 12.5k) in Sanchez Ramirez province and there were queues there too.

They need to ramp up registration in Las Terrenas. I passed through Limon and LT today and passed numerous expats driving on quads and motos which were generally without 'placa' and they were without helmets driving (quads) erratically on the highways. I believe in Samana, like several other provinces they have a few more months to register before fines kick in.
They should be enforcing in Cabarete and Sosua, as well.
They are on the list.  They are doing it by regions.
Thousands of motorists crowded together when the registration extension expires

Details. Around noon yesterday, 594,300 motorcycles had already been registered in the system, according to Intrant spokesman Ramón Baldeyaque.

miles-de-motoristas-apinados-al-vencer-p

Yesterday, along a row of four columns, which began outside the parking lot of the headquarters of the National Institute of Transit and Land Transportation (Intrant), and went around the Quisqueya Stadium, thousands of motorists were crowded together to win extension of the registration plan executed by the General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transportation (Digesett), in the National District.

The motorcycle registration center fell short due to the high demand of motorists, who came to regulate their status to circulate on the streets, to avoid the seizure of their units.

Many got up early and made time in the place to be among the first served, such as Jeffrey Martínez, who from 3:00 in the morning was stationed at the registration post, although at 11:30 in the morning he was still carrying out the process.

“I haven't eaten and I'm suffocating in this heat; President Abinader wants a thousand licenses, we are fed up, why do we have to get another one?”, were the complaints of some users.     

Register

Around noon, there were already 594,300 motorcycles registered, according to the entity's spokesman, Ramón Baldeyaque.

Baldeyaque pointed out that the registration services will continue to function in the National District, Greater Santo Domingo, San Cristóbal, Santiago, La Romana, San Francisco de Macorís, San Juan, La Vega, among other demarcations, but those citizens with motorcycles will be controlled by the Digesett.

The National Plan for the Registration of Motorcycles began in June 2021 and is part of the "National Strategy for Citizen Security "My Safe Country", which is led by the Ministry of the Interior and Police.

Inspection process

Yesterday began the inspection of users who have not complied with the registration of their motorcycles, in accordance with Law 63-17, of the registration plan, which establishes the mandatory use of the labeled protective helmet, with the motorcycle plate, and category 1 licence.

On a tour through Winston Churchill Avenue, John F. Kennedy Avenue and Abraham Lincoln Avenue, it was found that members of the Digesett were applying fines and seizing motorcycles for lack of what was required.

Photojournalists from Listín Diario captured the moment when a member of the Army was arrested as he left a tunnel on John F. Kennedy Avenue on a motorcycle, but was later "released with his motor."

The soldier was driving a motorcycle, without a license plate or a protective helmet with a numbered tape. In view of the citizens present, the agents took the motorcycle to the tow truck, but did not raise it, along with three other seized vehicles.

Journalists pretended to leave, but they settled on the pedestrian bridge to observe the measure that the transit authority was going to take with the violator of the law. After 10 minutes, the soldier was released, and left with his motorcycle. Even with the operation underway, reporters observed that motorcycles traveling through tunnels and elevated.

In trouble in Santiago

Dozens of motorcyclists crowded yesterday at the facilities of the Ministry of Public Works, to register their units in the plan of the National Institute of Traffic and Land Transportation (Intrant).

They were waiting for attention in an environment marked by the noise of horns, bad words and discussions motivated by the beginning of the placement of fines by Digesett agents).

Domingo Matías, coordinator of the Intrant in the Cibao, indicated that around 1,000 motorcycles are registered every day, and he considers that the process is progressing well.   

North Region.

"So far, everything has developed normally, although there is a lot of desperation on the part of those who did not come in the time that was enabled, in order to carry out the process," said Domingo Matías.

At the Public Works headquarters in Santiago, motorcyclists complained because they understand the process was going very slowly and in fact, a man named Wellington Rojas even accused the security personnel of selling shifts for two thousand pesos, a situation that generated the support of the people that is here.

"The situation is horrible, I've been here since four in the morning and my head hurts... Today there have been around four lawsuits," said Rojas, who works as a delivery person for a Uruguayan company.

As usual Dominicans leave it to the very last moment hoping for a reprieve - but not this time.

We need to be realistic. This process will take at least 2.5 years if they continue registering at about 20k per day nationally.  There are probably more motos than the number they mention so even longer and in the campo people do not understand there are laws about use and riding of motos so an education campaign for these people who rely on the moto for their livelyhood.

At least it has started and let's hope the government increase the budgets and staffing for both Intrant and Digisset and get the right number of agents in the field.
Its always the same, they wait and wait and then scream when there are lineups! 
And they always look for excuses and extensions......

Mayor of La Vega requests extension for fines for motorcyclists who have not registered

The mayor of La Vega, Kelvin Cruz, said this Saturday that he sees with concern the large number of motorcycles that still remain without registering and obtaining licenses established by law for the use of this means of transport.

He attributes the situation to the fact that the logistics implemented in the places where the registration is carried out has not been sufficient for the number of people who have responded to the call.
"This has caused long and tedious queues, generating a bottleneck for obtaining the document," they emphasized in a press release.

The also president of the Dominican Federation of Municipalities (Fedomu) took the opportunity to request the General Directorate of Traffic and Land Transportation ( Digesett ) to give a final deadline to the decision to impose fines on motorcyclists who have not completed registration.

In addition, he asked the National Institute of Traffic and Terrestrial Transportation (Intrant) to expand the number of service stations, understanding that it is inappropriate to have a single place for hundreds of users who require the service.

He said he was concerned about the large number of motor users who since yesterday, Friday, have been exposed to being fined because they have not been able to complete the registration.
Cruz recalled that motorcycles are the livelihood of thousands of parents from low-income families.
The executive highlighted as highly positive for citizen security the registration of motorcycles and the delivery of licenses to users of this means of transport.

He considered that for the first time in the country's history, the number of motorcycles in the country and who their users will be known with certainty.

He said that, although an amount of more than two million motorcycles is presumed, as of this Friday only 594,000 have been registered as having obtained their driving license.

He explained that this measure will undoubtedly strengthen the My Safe Country security plan, having a significant impact on the fight against delinquency and criminality throughout the national territory.

WHAT DOES THE INTRANT SAY?

Ramón Baldeyaque Ramírez, Director of Communications for the Intrant, clarified that, although the deadline is until this Friday, the registration will continue throughout the country.Drivers who do not have the registration will have to register to travel on motorcycles, since registration is mandatory.

Motor drivers who do not have their registration will not be able to circulate legally in the provinces of the National District, Santo Domingo, San Cristóbal, Santiago and San Francisco de Macorís. For the rest of the provinces, a date has not yet been set to begin the audit, so they will still have full freedom to move.

But it is at last happening and all provinces will be given their date by which motos need to be registered and licensed.
It's a daunting task -- that's for sure

Bit by bit, step by step, hopefully it will get better
Read this if you care for better road useage.

For anybody who seriously thinks Dominicans care much about the bad driving, breaking driving laws and the insane death on the roads, and especially with 'motos', read the following.

They care more about their freedoms to do as they like and lawyers have issued an amparo to the Constitutional Court seeking to stop what they say are infringements of their constitutional rights.

So much for registering and licensing moto drivers being a ‘joke'. The joke is that they don't care and are prepared to go to court to be allowed to drive motos as they wish. It would not surprise me if there are some members of this forum who support their freedom to drive as they wish.

Listin Diario posted an editorial this yesterday:

Death Machines

Motorcycles are, in the country, a synonym of death. From them the wicked rob and kill at any time and place, with amazing impiety.

As means of transportation, they also carry a hazardous reputation: they are involved in 80 percent of road accidents in the country.

And according to statistics, of every ten people who die in a traffic accident, eight ride a motorcycle, which shows the disastrous impact they have had on society.

To try to put order in what this medium represents as a threat to citizen security, the authorities have implemented a registration system for users and license plates.

The motorcyclist who is not endowed with this registration, is fined from today.

Only in this way, with firm decisions, is it possible to move towards a more reliable and regulated system, the source of so much danger and chaos.

Those who benefit most from this registry are citizens who do not have or wish to have conflicts with the law in the use of their motorcycles for work or transportation.

This may also allow for better control of stolen motorcycles that are often resold or used in robberies and murder stalks.

Society should applaud this government effort to regularize the ownership and right of movement of these vehicles, real machines of death, suffering and unrest.

And hours later lawyers filed an amparo seeking to stop registration and licensing of motos!!!!

Lawyers will file an amparo action against the registration process for motorcyclists imposed by the Intrant

Ángel Leonel Canó, representative of a group of lawyers in the country, reported that he, together with the group of jurists, filed an Extreme Urgency Amparo Action before the Superior Administrative Court (TSA) against the implementation of the plan imposed by the Transit Institute and Transportation (Intrant) to register motorcyclists.

This complaint was made to the director of Listín Diario Miguel Franjul, in response to his editorial on Saturday, June 16, called " Death Machines . " Then we leave the communication.

Greetings Mr. Franjul.

Thank you for opening the opportunity to shed a little light on what we have commented on Instagram, regarding your editorial "Death Machines".

Truly, the motorcycle statistics in our country do not correspond to one that seeks to protect life and care for motorcycle users. However, a large segment of our population does care about continuing to protect their lives, riding the motorcycle with care and enjoying the emotions and freedom offered by riding a motorcycle, or simply being able to safely use the motorcycle as an element of transportation in everyday life and work.

Apart from this, there is regulation, with authorities currently more focused on controlling and making life impossible for the motorcyclist, than on educating and guiding the driver towards a safer lifestyle.

Added to a precarious legal framework lacking in local context for having been imported from Colombia.

What is currently happening in the country is a "registration" process that the authorities base as one that emerges from the "My Safe Country" plan. The latter is a laudable attempt by the central government to focus certain policies on reducing the citizen insecurity that we all suffer.

Since 2021 we have identified that the plan to register motorcycles lacks a legal basis because it is not within INTRANT's powers, nor is it exposed as a mandatory registration in Law 63-17, which is EXTREMELY delicate. It is important to point out some elements in order to build it, and why it constitutes a clear violation of fundamental rights:

• In traffic law 63-17, nor in any other including traffic regulations, does this record exist, nor is INTRANT attributed to the execution of citizen security policies. This is usurpation of functions of other state bodies, violating the fundamental right to good administration.

• With the execution of this, motorcycles already previously registered according to the law in the DGII are registered, being these up to date in their legal documentation for circulation. Understand plate, registration and law insurance, the only requirements established by law for legal circulation, in addition to having the license.

• The INTRANT through this registry justifies the delivery of a license parallel to the one already established in the law, violating the traffic legal framework itself that indicates that citizens should only have one (1) license with the driving categories authorized.

• This "license" parallel to the legal and regular license established by law, constrains the motorcycle and the owner, without any real object, to the use of THAT motorcycle with that helmet, violating the right of property and freedom of movement of the user.

• In addition, a number and QR code are assigned, with data storage in a private web domain (intramoto.com) instead of a public one (.gob.do), leaving the management of citizen information in the hands of third parties outside of the public administration, violating the fundamental rights to privacy and personal honor, in addition to the data protection law.

• At the time of inspection, the most delicate violations are configured. The first element is the presumption of innocence as long as, without having committed any infraction, the motorcyclist is harassed, detained, and “if not registered” the motorcycle is seized without saying a word, even when this driver has all his documentation up to date. This as if all motorcyclists, de facto, are criminals and travel illegally with their documentation up to date. The second element corresponds to the right to property, since without a legal provision that supports said seizure or a conviction that orders it, the motorcyclist is stripped of his property on public roads. This has already been ruled on multiple occasions, including by the SCJ,

In short, Mr. Franjul, the list of illegitimate elements in this registry is quite extensive and the authorities have ignored it. For this reason, since 2021 we have raised our voice with the #YoAndoLegal, in addition to submitting this to the Ombudsman, ordering said body to INTRANT to "refrain from executing the registry" for not being framed in the law and setting up violations of fundamental rights.

I take this opportunity to inform you that recently a group of united professionals have deposited an Extreme Urgency Amparo Action which will be known by the TSA next Wednesday, July 20, at 9am. We harbor the hope of being able to stop such an arbitrary measure that is causing more harm than good to the population, affecting economic and social rights, added to the emotional and psychological stability of all motorcycle users. Also, the precedent of allowing this is dismal: today it is with motorcycles, but tomorrow it will be with other things.

Acting outside the law will always be inappropriate.

Well this is interesting.  We shall see how this plays out now.  I can understand some of the arguments, if, in fact, they are based on facts. 
I  was always told that driving is a Privilege no a right and when you break that privilege by not obeying the traffic laws your privileges are taken from you until the courts deem you have  Successfully completed all requirements to be reinstated as a safe responsible law  abiding Citizen ……..nothing in any  Constitution that says you can do what you want that includes putting the general public at risk ……… beep beep
The crux of their argument to raise an amparo to the Constitutional Court based on this:

Truly, the motorcycle statistics in our country do not correspond to one that seeks to protect life and care for motorcycle users. However, a large segment of our population does care about continuing to protect their lives, riding the motorcycle with care and enjoying the emotions and freedom offered by riding a motorcycle, or simply being able to safely use the motorcycle as an element of transportation in everyday life and work.

The majority of Dominicans don't care about the safe regulated driving but about doing what they have become accustomed to over decades which the lawyers argue to be their constitutional right. Shocking.

I need some advice. I just got my residency and I bought a dune buggy.  I went and checked with the police about the little sticker that everybody is getting on their cars and they say it doesn't need it because it is registered as a motorcycle but it has 4 wheels.. It has a license plate but it's in the name of the person that I bought it from and I do have insurance on it am I going to need to wear a helmet and get a yellow vest does anybody know. I certainly don't want  to have it confiscated. Do i register it in my name a lot of locals are telling me no but it doesn't seem right.

You need to register it in your own name.  The rest, I am not sure!

I need some advice. I just got my residency and I bought a dune buggy.  I went and checked with the police about the little sticker that everybody is getting on their cars and they say it doesn't need it because it is registered as a motorcycle but it has 4 wheels.. It has a license plate but it's in the name of the person that I bought it from and I do have insurance on it am I going to need to wear a helmet and get a yellow vest does anybody know. I certainly don't want  to have it confiscated. Do i register it in my name a lot of locals are telling me no but it doesn't seem right.

- @emetz55

I have also read that the buggy is classed as a motorcycle and as such will need to register it and part of the rolling nationwide campaign and receive a sticker on your driving helmet or face fines and possible confiscation in the future.

Samana is a province currently in the scheme of registrations. 'ddmcgee' stated that there is a registration centre in Las Terrenas in an earlier post.

From Ley 63-17 the requirements for registration for motos are:

Article 76.- Municipal registration of motorcycles. The municipalities will create the registry
of motorcycles intended for the transport of people, as well as the classification
of the type of motorcycle according to its use and cylinder capacity.
For this registration you will need:
1. Plate.
2. Original license document.
3. Insurance, which must be current, and
4. Legal document that demonstrates the right to use the motorcycle.

(1. Placa.
2. Matrícula original.
3. Seguro, el cual debe estar vigente, y
4. Documento legal que demuestre el derecho al uso de la motocicleta.)

- @emetz55

Quads are indeed classified along with motorcycles as is defined in Decree 256-20 (2020)

REGULATION OF USE AND TRANSPORTATION IN MOTORCYCLES, BICYCLES
AND OTHER PERSONAL MOBILITY VEHICLES

You will need a Class 1 license.

It may shock people but rules for driving motorcycles including quads were only properly detailed less than 2 years ago! No wonder the chaos we see daily in the riding of such vehicles.
This may open a hornets nest for all those illegally here and overstaying and driving motos or cars:

INTRANT says it is working on protocol so that foreigners can register their motorcycles

Earlier, a foreigner expressed his concern through our WhatsApp, because he still cannot register, and he fears being inspected by the Digesett.

The National Institute of Traffic and Land Transportation (INTRANT) reported this Wednesday that together with the Ministry of the Interior and Police it is working to establish the protocol so that foreigners residing in the country can register their motorcycles.

Concern of foreign residents

Precisely this morning, a person expressed his concern through our WhatsApp of complaints , because being a foreigner he still cannot register, for which he fears being fined and inspected by Digesett agents

"The INTRANT says that foreigners cannot register, because they do not have a Dominican identity card, so what are they going to do with us, the amet since they stop you is the license that they ask for, there are many of us, there are some who are messengers, delivery, motorcycle taxi , some for personal use, in my case it is the transport of my daughters to school, then I continue to my work " , the individual explained to Noticias SIN .

Intrant are part of the Ministry of Interior and Police ands so is DGM.........wait and see.......

Every person living here legally should be able to get a Dominican driving license either when they get their cedula as a resident or as a work permit holder. The only protocol needed is for short stay tourists using their foreign license whilst legally here.

And

He added that he had a meeting with the director of INTRANT and explained to him that they were looking for the database in Immigration or in the Interior and Police
I was just wondering why can one register ones car but can't register a motorcycle ….🤔
The whole process requires a driving license. You can only get a Dominican driving license if a resident or work permit holder. They want cedulas to register for a license which most moto drivers dont have.
There are 50k Haitians, Venezuelans and Colombians plying their trade as conchos much to the ire of nationalists.

They can get and register vehicles, get insurance with passports but cant get licenses because they are here illegally.

Touchy subject to resolve.
There are issues for people who don't have confirmed legal residency in DR getting registered and licensed to drive motos and Immigration is involved verifying the legal status of Haitians and Venezuelans who have a legal right here (presumably with work permits or the regularization and consequently no cedula).

If you are not living legally here it appears you will not be able to get registered and ride a moto is the message. Bad news for all overstayers.

The second issue appearing is that people with driving licenses for cars and trucks are questioning if they need moto licenses. The Decree 6-19  Art. 15 in respect of licensing is clear. If your moto is above 125cc you need a 1b license and with a car license category 2, you are only able to drive a moto up to 125cc. so if your moto or pasola is more than 125cc you have to get a new license. Apply to tricycles and quads too.

Haitians struggling to register motorcycles

Legalized foreigners with an approved license in the country face problems when registering motorcycles at the National Institute of Transit and Land Transport (Intrant), since it is still in the process of transferring data with the General Directorate of Migration (DGM).

After completing their queue and reaching the payment and registration booths, they realize that, despite having all their documentation up to date, they are not registered on the platform, so they are sent to the Department of Licenses at the Ministry of Works. Public and Communications (MOPC).

“I am Venezuelan and I have all my papers up to date and I do not appear registered on the page, now I have to do other totally unnecessary steps to be able to register, and I have my clear license since 2017 when I began to reside in the Dominican; this is a total abuse”, claimed Ricardo Arrieta with reluctance.
When inquiring the Intrant authorities about this problem, their response was "we have been working with the Immigration Directorate, the base of the foreigners is they who handle it, we already have the protocol that is in transfer, we only need to give the final touches, at any moment we will be publishing that we will start working with foreigners”, detailed Melido Agramonte, in charge of the Motorcycle Registration Plan.

Inspections

On the other hand, some motorcyclists who have not yet taken the step of registering their engines have complained that their vehicles are being stopped and withdrawn for not having this paperwork updated, even when they have all their documentation up to date.

Reporters from Listín Diario, on different occasions, have tried to approach the body of the General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transportation (Digesett) to find out if its regulations allow the act of seizure; however, there have been no responses from the institution.

Along the same lines, another situation that has caused a stir among drivers is the need to have licenses in another category, in order to complement the process of registering their engines and whether they must obtain a category 1 license, which is the one corresponding to motorcycles.

“Having a truck license, which is number three, I had to get one. I understand that if you can drive a truck, it goes without saying that you can drive a motor,” added Gilberto Pérez.

Reminding motorcycle users who have not yet registered, that the centers that are active from eight in the morning to four in the afternoon, on Saturdays this only work from 8 in the morning to 2 in the afternoon.

Intrant has offices in the National District, Parque del Este in Santo Domingo Este, in Santiago there is the Plaza Bella Terra Mall, the San Cristóbal Sports Center, the Municipal Stadium of San Juan de la Maguana, and the Julián Javier Stadium in San Francisco de Macorís.

It is still a learning process for all including Intrant and Digisett, but at least it is happening so we can move towards safer roads.
For anyone hoping that the amparo filed against the current 'registration scheme" will have to wait until next Tuesday 26th July because the hearing was deferred yesterday.

Furthermore the indication from the Ombudsman suggest the administration of the procedure needs adjustment rather than being outside the law.

Lawyers group objects to TSA motorcycle registration plan

A group of lawyers filed an amparo action before the Superior Administrative Court (TSA) against the plan implemented by the Government for the registration of motorcycles, with the aim of rendering it null and void.

According to the plaintiffs, the measures provided for in the National Motorcycle Registration Plan are contrary to various legal provisions such as Law no. 63-17, on Mobility, Land Transport, Traffic and Road Safety, in addition to Decree no. 6-19 on the Driver's License Regulations.

The amparo was filed against the Presidency of the Republic, the Transport Cabinet of the Presidency, the National Institute of Traffic and Land Transport (Intrant), the Ministry of the Interior and Police and the General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transport. (DIGESETT).

Yesterday it was planned to know the action brought by the jurists Ángel Leonel Canó, Juan Joel Folch, Félix David Mejía, José Guillermo Cortines and Luís Alcántara, to which the Ombudsman voluntarily intervened, however, the First Chamber of the TSA postponed the view for next Tuesday, July 26.

What the plaintiffs have established is that to complete the registration process the Intrant requires documents and has established conditions that the law does not contemplate.

On the matter, the Ombudsman, Pablo Ulloa reported that in October of last year, he urged the Intrant to adjust the plan to the rules that govern the matter. “Since last year we have recommended to the Intrant, due to several citizen claims, the immediate cessation of actions that do not strictly fall within the provisions of Law no. 63-17 and Decree 6-19, for being contrary to the fundamental right to good administration, he maintained.
There is a great deal of confusion about the 'Plan Nacional De Registro de Motocicletas'. Social media is making it more confusing.

The Plan has been generated to comply with Decree 581-21, Sistema Nacional de Seguridad Ciudana - Mi Pais Seguro - emitted on 17th September 2021. The Decree calls for the Ministry of Interior and Police to execute the planning and part of that requires motor cyclists to wear a labelled safety helmet and hold a driving license.

Registration with 'matricula' and 'placa' has and always was part of the responsibility of DGII. No change there.

The National Plan of Registration of Motor Cycles is a register of all such registered vehicles, drivers and their licenses - a digital database of all persons who meet the legal requirements to drive motos and a clear ID for when driving

Intrant are asking for drivers to be registered to arrive with a cedula, DGII registration documents and helmet and for a registration fee and fee for class 1 license they complete the process and have a ID affixed to their helmet. Check the plan details on the Intrant Facebook site.

The role of Digisett will be to police and fine any driver who has not completed the process in the defined 5 areas to date. the registered drivers will be part of the driver database (which already exists for car drivers and records any infractions too), which  Digisett agents can call upon by telephone to check the validity of drivers and vehicles (have had that done to me during a Digisett stop).

Now some lawyers have submitted an 'amparo' to the Constitutional Court. It is a quicker legal process but that only deals with matters of constitutional law and not general law. So has 'Mi Pais Seguro' or 'Plan Nacional De Registro de Motocicletas' infringed constitutional rights is what this court will consider and if they do not consider so the case will be referred to lower law courts to adjudicate which will be much more timely (as was the case with the amparo filed against mandatory vaccine card requirements) . We should know next Tuesday.

The Ombudsman who is joined in the action has suggested that there are some administrative issues which could suggest a need to adjust procedures.

In the meantime the process continues but there remains a large number of moto drivers totally immune to a need to drive motos in a regulated manner, and it appears this is the main thrust of the 'amparo' which argues they already are driving safely without additional enforced measures and their rights are being infringed.
There is a great deal of confusion about the 'Plan Nacional De Registro de Motocicletas'. Social media is making it more confusing.

The Plan has been generated to comply with Decree 581-21, Sistema Nacional de Seguridad Ciudana - Mi Pais Seguro - emitted on 17th September 2021. The Decree calls for the Ministry of Interior and Police to execute the planning and part of that requires motor cyclists to wear a labelled safety helmet and hold a driving license.

Registration with 'matricula' and 'placa' has and always was part of the responsibility of DGII. No change there.

The National Plan of Registration of Motor Cycles is a register of all such registered vehicles, drivers and their licenses - a digital database of all persons who meet the legal requirements to drive motos and a clear ID for when driving

Intrant are asking for drivers to be registered to arrive with a cedula, DGII registration documents and helmet and for a registration fee and fee for class 1 license they complete the process and have a ID affixed to their helmet. Check the plan details on the Intrant Facebook site.

The role of Digisett will be to police and fine any driver who has not completed the process in the defined 5 areas to date. the registered drivers will be part of the driver database (which already exists for car drivers and records any infractions too), which  Digisett agents can call upon by telephone to check the validity of drivers and vehicles (have had that done to me during a Digisett stop).

Now some lawyers have submitted an 'amparo' to the Constitutional Court. It is a quicker legal process but that only deals with matters of constitutional law and not general law. So has 'Mi Pais Seguro' or 'Plan Nacional De Registro de Motocicletas' infringed constitutional rights is what this court will consider and if they do not consider so the case will be referred to lower law courts to adjudicate which will be much more timely (as was the case with the amparo filed against mandatory vaccine card requirements) . We should know next Tuesday.

The Ombudsman who is joined in the action has suggested that there are some administrative issues which could suggest a need to adjust procedures.

In the meantime the process continues but there remains a large number of moto drivers totally immune to a need to drive motos in a regulated manner, and it appears this is the main thrust of the 'amparo' which argues they already are driving safely without additional enforced measures and their rights are being infringed.
- @lennoxnev

I will be interested in the outcome of the hearing tomorrow. From my understanding, it seemed that one of the things the lawyers were most upset about was the fact that the database was to be created/maintained by an outside/non-governmental entity. I think the likely outcome is making sure the administrative process aligns with the legal requirements, and continue their registration process. I don't think the lawyers' arguments that people should be allowed to ride the motos without helmets because it infringes on the person's rights are likely to hold much water since the Abinader government is intent on reducing traffic fatalities, and requiring helmets is a good way to do it.