Hello from Scotland!

I'm finally fulfilling my ambition to live in HCMC after first visiting 15 years ago. I know that much has changed since then but equally many of it's charms remain. I hope to be teaching business English to start with (recently completed my CELTA course) and also to explore my passion for interior design.

These blogs seem an excellent way to get a feel for life over there, but I'd welcome any advice or experiences on which are the inexpensive/cool/central areas to live and still get the authentic Vietnamese vibe.

Also: any fellow Scots over there?

Och aye!

Paul

Hi, Paul

I think that you may find what you need in Classified category. There are bunch of houses and apartments for rent or for share. I also saw some Vietnamese on this forum that are willing to guide you to explore HCMC.

Wait to see you here sometime,

Nancy

Hi Paul, do you have a job lined up or you just gonna see what happens when you get here? Do you a degree with your Celta?
When you arriving ?

I know a fellow Scottish lass is making the move here at the end of July so there will be at least one other here lol The only other Jock I know has just moved back to UK for the summer after 4years here, but I'm sure there will be some more around.

No doubt catch up with you when you land.

I do agree with muontrovevietnam about the fierce competition in Vietnam coz of the cheap labor as well as the recent policy for loaning in Vietnam. However, please keep in mind that there are numerous potential here. Middle class population becomes bigger; credit per capita in Vietnam is still a surplus number comparing with other developed countries. Thus, there is demand for development of life quality. FYI, each year Vietnamese spends about 1 bil. USD to go to Singapore for healthcare (this number doesn't include other amount spent in other countries such as Thailand, US, Korea etc.). With a good network, better understanding market, I do believe that you can make your dream come true.

Hi Paul,

I am originally living here. If you really need help just let me know :)

Cheers

TRI

Thanks guys. Good feedback. :-)
With any new place there's always so much to learn and only so much you can research beforehand. I have already been in touch with a few language schools and the possibilities seem positive. Hope to catch up in September.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Vietnam!

I believe you will enjoy living and working in Ho Chi Minh city.

Sam