Cross border travel

Hi all,

I have a b1/b2 visa does anyone know if after being in US for 6 month's can you drive over to canada for say 2-3 month's then come back to US without a problem? this trip would be in an RV

Thanks Sean.

A visa to the US does not authorize you for entry to CAN.

twostep wrote:

A visa to the US does not authorize you for entry to CAN.

I know that, let me try again i'm british i already know i can go to Canada, that's not what i'm asking it's the coming back to US,

Let me also add that my understanding is on the 90 day visa waiver you have to leave usa and basically go back to UK but i'm sure with a visa you can go to canada then return to US.

Exit/entry to/from continents states does not reset the clock for VWP/B1/2.

Thanks do you have a link to that, I already know about the VWP but reading many posts on other sites state you can do what i'm asking on a visa as diffirent rules but hard to get proof/confirmation

USCIS.gov

twostep wrote:

USCIS.gov

Nothing in there thats helps but Thanks

Seany213 wrote:

I know that, let me try again i'm british i already know i can go to Canada, that's not what i'm asking it's the coming back to US,

Let me also add that my understanding is on the 90 day visa waiver you have to leave usa and basically go back to UK but i'm sure with a visa you can go to canada then return to US.

"- Travelers participating in the VWP who make their initial entry into the United States by air or sea must arrive aboard one of the participating carriers. After the initial admission into the United States, under the provisions of VWP, a foreign national may temporarily depart to, and return from, Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands by car or other carriers as long as the total stay in the United States and the time accrued in contiguous territory and/or adjacent islands does not exceed 90 days.

- In other words, a side trip to Canada, Mexico, or the adjacent islands does not “reset the clock” for VWP travelers, unless the traveler is resident in the country to which they travel.  (For further information see Chapter 15.7(i) of DHS Inspectors Field Manual, Readmission After Departure to Contiguous Territory or Adjacent Islands.)"

Source: US Dept of State - Foreign Affair Manual & Handbook

I know that i've got b1/b2

Seany213 wrote:
twostep wrote:

USCIS.gov

Nothing in there thats helps but Thanks

CBP.gov.  Help article 751

Help article 751:

B-1 or B-2 Visas:  During your visit to the U.S., you may visit Canada or Mexico for up to 30 days and re-enter the U.S. as long as you re-enter within the period noted on the Form I-94 which you received when you first entered.

For instance, if you come to the U.S. on the July 10th on a B2 Visitor Visa, you may go to Canada and/or Mexico (provided you have the proper documentation to enter those countries) on or after December 10th, and reenter the U.S. any time up until January 10. But because the six month period is up on January 10, you will also have to depart from the U.S. on that same day to avoid being an "overstay" (unless you applied for an extension of stay).

Note:  The six month period is computer generated from the day you arrived into the U.S. 

If you visit other countries such as England or Costa Rica, then return to the U.S., your re-entry will be considered to be a new admission, rather than a re-entry from a contiguous country in the course of your initial visit, and the admission inspection may be more strenuous. The CBP Officer inspecting you will want evidence that you intend to go back home to your country of citizenship to live as opposed to returning again and again to the U.S. after visits to other countries. Remember, a B1 or B2 visa allows you to come to the U.S. to visit. If the CBP Officer suspects that you are actually trying to be a de facto resident, you will be denied entry.

Incorrect Ciambella - the duration of the I94 is up to the discretion of the immigration officer at point of entry.

twostep wrote:

Incorrect Ciambella - the duration of the I94 is up to the discretion of the immigration officer at point of entry.

That's what I read in the Q&A as well, but the post above is the full content of Article 751 so I just c&p without adding anything.

@B-1 or B-2 Visas:  During your visit to the U.S., you may visit Canada or Mexico for up to 30 days and re-enter the U.S. as long as you re-enter within the period noted on the Form I-94 which you received when you first entered@

So if you don't come back to USA i guess could stay in Canada for upto 6 month's then just return to UK leaving RV in storage in Canada then return to Canada later pick up RV and on to USA for 6 month's would that be right?