Organizations to volunteer for in Santo Domingo

Hello all,

I've recently moved to Santo Domingo and I am loving the city thus far. One thing I have been struggling with is making new friends here and establishing that local support system and I was thinking volunteering at some organization would be a good way for me to put myself  out there and meet new people.

Are there any organizations you all know off that could use some volunteers (I would prefer them not to be any ministry/religious organization). Down for anything honestly!

Hi-I'm headed to Santiago and will find myself in a similar situation. I don't mind being affiliated with religious groups but do want to give back in some form or fashion-not out of wallet though.
What have you found?

Here in Las Terrenas, we've found a few organizations to volunteer with:
- Dogs and Cats of the DR - we've provided transportation for animals, obtained bulk food for them in SD, rounded up beach dogs to send to a sterilization event in Sosua, and spent a weekend supporting a sterilization event here in LT. Once our Spanish reaches a conversational level, we'll also participate in outreach - educating folks in town about the importance of sterilization and proper vet care.
- Biblioteca Anacoana - our little free community library. I volunteer 1-2 shifts each week to help keep the place open and available. We have over 16,000 books in 7 languages.
- A public school that is neglected by the government! We've provided school supplies, but they also have volunteers who cook lunch for the students every day.
- Beach clean-ups! Some of these are organized by non-profits, but others are community events organized by the mayor's office.

One thing you can do is check with local hostels - they are often aware of opportunities for their guests to volunteer in the community!

Thanks!

Hi! I'm in the same situation so wondering if you founf some interesting places in santo-domingo?