N-10-02 Robertson Residence

Hi,

I will not use names here (assuming cannot do that, ping me on private for more details) but if anyone ever will ever looking for an apartment to rent in KL and will be interested in N-10-02 Robertson Residence please do not rent it.

The location is great, building staff and service very friendly but Landlord is a liar and thief. You may see my previous post about my situation, in short summary:

Was living there for almost 2Y (never any problem, good feedback from the Landlord), at the start of this COVID mess (December/January) I fly to the UK for 1 week holiday (small bag as you can understand) and during this stay was asked to not fly back to MY (my company think healthcare in EU is better so they said: stay here). After a few months back in the UK it was decided I'm not coming back, so we reached to the landlord (I kept paying rent and all of the bills while was not in MY) and asked him to let my friend inside the flat so he can pack my things and I can stop rental. Keep in mind we notified him in May and he dragged till September entry to the flat. Once he entered there he complained about the state of it - what he means is when I was moving out I left things in the fridge and other food that started smelling. I apologized for this (said was planning 7 days trip) and also said to him I was asking him to allow access to the property much earlier so we avoid this kind of problem. Then he asked me for 12 000 MYR extra for what he called 'cleaning' I said to him 2 things: 1) you already hold my deposits if you think you got some work there please take them as per contract 2) my friend and building staff who was present at inspection agree it could be cleaned easily - so I proposed my friend to clean it up and then we do inspection report (if still, he is not happy then he take deposit).

This was (September) when I last heard from my Landlord - he changed the number, moved out of all 3 addresses I had for him, and also recently stopped answering calls from Building Owner who tried to help and act on my behalf. Of course, I went to a solicitor in KL we sent him 4 papers (legal letters etc.) but now it went to stage: I need a court case that costs around 7 000 GBP (confirmed with 3 solicitors) that I don't have.

I even beg him over WH message to just give my family photos back (my dad passed away and one of his only printed photos are there) and take everything else (deposits, Mackbook, Gaming PC, Ipad, Clothes, Vinyl collection, etc). He of course did not answer.... My best idea is he saw all of expensive things in the flat (PC, PS4, Laptops, etc.) and decided hee will sell it or something ....

You can understand how sad, furious and disappointed I am now - just watch out for N-10-02 ....

If anyone would have any ideas how to resolve it feel free to ping me - but I need to say I lost hope now, especially in humans I think so.

Thanks
D

Normally it's 3 letters followed by a court order. Surprised it costs that much. When I was chairman at one condo we sued a landlord of an apartment for not paying his maintenance fees for almost a year and the initial court case cost around RM2,500 and after a year the total legal fees were less than RM30,000 and that included an appeal made by the landlord. We won and he had to pay all our legal fees.

Of course, smart locals know ways to solve this kind of problem, but undoubtedly illegal but it's never a good idea to get gangsters involved and it's highly illegal. There was a gangster who once had a dispute with our management because he also didn't pay his maintenance fees for quite a while, so I told management to block his access cards and he rammed the barrier gate with his car and ripped out and took the card scanning machine. He finally paid for the repairs and actually was quite nice once everything was sorted out.