Moving to Los Angeles...?

Hi all,
I'd like to move from the UK to the US (Los Angeles) and find a teaching job there
If anyone has done this, I was just wondering about what the process was like.
Was it difficult to initiate the move to Los Angeles? What is the lifestyle like there? Were there any culture shocks?
Thanks in advance! :)

Search California teachers license requirements first to see if you qualify. Then actually put in applications. Be sure to have a CA teacher license first as no school district will consider you without one. You will also have to have state and federal back ground checks before being hired . Do not move till you have accepted position die to visa issues. LA is very diverse and expensive.

As non-US graduate, you should look for in private US, British or international schools .

If you are from the UK you will certainly have some language differences culture shock. Then perhaps prices. L.A. is a really expencive place. If you are on a budget I would consider nearby towns in California.

Perry Smith wrote:

If you are from the UK you will certainly have some language differences culture shock. Then perhaps prices. L.A. is a really expencive place. If you are on a budget I would consider nearby towns in California.

If Los Angeles had not gotten rid of its original subway system, but had instead expanded that in a manner similar to what has been done in New York City, a person could choose to live in the heart of LA without the added expense of a car, and that would make it quite convenient and more affordable.

Unfortunately Los Angeles is way behind in plans to rebuild its public transportation system.

One way to be able to afford to live there is to follow advice and live outside of the city in a neighboring community, but make sure it's a place that has a reliable public transportation option nearby, preferably light rail:

metro.net

But even having attempted to be encouraging with that option, I can't imagine living in LA for very long without a car and still being able to take advantage of the widespread and far-flung opportunities in the surrounding counties.

I can't speak to what it's like trying to nail down a teaching job coming from another country, but I imagine there are probably some hurdles there. As for moving itself, make sure you find a company that has ample experience with international moving (and ideally an office in los angeles). I did some digging and found one called Three Movers, but I can't speak from experience with having used them. I would guess there are probably just a handful of truly experienced moving operations that cater to both locations and I would prioritize the ones that do.