I have a lot of questions

Hi all! I have a lot of questions and will do my best to provide a lot of detail, in hopes to get some advice.

I'm from the US (late 20s/early 30/) and was offered job in London (Roehampton area), including visa sponsorship (which I get the impression is incredibly rare). This would be essentially a lateral move, but growth opportunities in that it's learning a new work culture/system as well as living abroad. The salary is £36,482 inclusive of London Weighting Allowance (with the grade going up to £39,510). I've been offered a £3,000 relocation allowance, which seems like it will essentially cover half of what I'm calling "entry fees" (visa cost and NHS surcharge). They have stated due to COVID concerns I would be able to work remotely from the States for a bit once I get the right to work, but I get the impression I would be expected to be there by late spring/early summer (unless things really go sideways again). I have been to London three times before - once for a vacation where we did typical touristy things over the course of 4-5 days, and twice for work which were quick 24-48 hour experiences.

Some of my questions/concerns:
1. COVID obviously and what that means coming to a brand new city/country (increase in isolation/homesickness). I get the vibe that things are not great right now (aka like most everywhere) so am wondering if it's worth leaving my solid support system/bubble Stateside to jump in?
2. General cost of living and if the annual salary is actually enough to experience what I perceive as my top benefit to London - travel. I did a very rough, conservative budget earlier and was left with about £35/month which isn't much. I'm concerned I will spend a good chunk of my savings upfront with relocation costs. Is it worth it?
2a. I do own a house in the States, so would likely prefer to live alone if possible (1-bedroom, but considering studios). I do recognize there are benefits to having housemates so haven't fully discounted that option. Does it make the most sense to live in the Roehampton area to cut down on transport costs (and hopefully rental costs)? Is there anywhere near Roehampton that isn't going to be full of the student population?
3. I have a pet cat that would ideally come along, however, flying him via airplane cargo is a no-go for me (and the vet doesn't recommend it). There are ways around this (fly into France and hire a company to transport us via chunnel) but those options aren't viable/operating right now. Is anyone familiar with these services? Will having him with me eventually make finding a flat harder?
4. What's the vaccination schedule looking like in the UK?
5. I'm sure I'm missing something but can't come up with it at the moment.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. And if you're able to offer some insight, thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum Mdip :)

1. COVID obviously and what that means coming to a brand new city/country (increase in isolation/homesickness). I get the vibe that things are not great right now (aka like most everywhere) so am wondering if it's worth leaving my solid support system/bubble Stateside to jump in?

The UK is slowly coming out out of lockdown so things will become back to normal soon. Homesickness is something personal and you have to deal with it on your own terms. If you are outgoing and socialable that's a great way to overcome it. In this day and age its better than years ago. You are able to WhatsApp, FaceTime etc...

2. General cost of living and if the annual salary is actually enough to experience what I perceive as my top benefit to London - travel. I did a very rough, conservative budget earlier and was left with about £35/month which isn't much. I'm concerned I will spend a good chunk of my savings upfront with relocation costs. Is it worth it?

London is the most expensive part of the UK to live in.

2a. I do own a house in the States, so would likely prefer to live alone if possible (1-bedroom, but considering studios). I do recognize there are benefits to having housemates so haven't fully discounted that option. Does it make the most sense to live in the Roehampton area to cut down on transport costs (and hopefully rental costs)? Is there anywhere near Roehampton that isn't going to be full of the student population?

I will have to come back to you on this one.

3. I have a pet cat that would ideally come along, however, flying him via airplane cargo is a no-go for me (and the vet doesn't recommend it). There are ways around this (fly into France and hire a company to transport us via chunnel) but those options aren't viable/operating right now. Is anyone familiar with these services? Will having him with me eventually make finding a flat harder?

Having a pet all depends on the landlord, some allow others don't. That even goes with children. Its pot lick I am afraid.

4. What's the vaccination schedule looking like in the UK?

This would be seem tobe the best country in Europe offering it out.

5. I'm sure I'm missing something but can't come up with it at the moment.

Ask away

Side note: If you think it will further your culture, career, life then go for it. You have to think about what is best for you.

Just to add to what SimCityAT has provided:

The UK is currently in Covid lockdown, so until that finishes, you wouldn't be allowed to enter unless it is for one of the approved professions; this link will take you to the list of Jobs that qualify for travel exemptions on the UK Government website.

They are expected to make an announcement this afternoon on the plan to release the UK from Covid lockdown; it's a 4 phase plan that will likely run into the spring; the one thing that is concerning many is it does not mention anywhere when they will permit international travel.  In your position, I would not be making any travel plans for the next couple of months at least and it will almost certainly depend on how well the US is doing.  On a related note, there is increasing talk of Covid vaccination passports; the UK Government have admitted they are discussing it with other countries, you may well need to have been vaccinated and issued with a Covid vaccination passport before they will permit you to travel/enter the UK; the fact that international travel does not feature in the UK Governments lockdown plan is giving this increasing credence.

Pets are an issue; apart from the hassle of finding a landlord that will allow them in your rented property (many don't), the UK does not recognise the US thing of companion pets, so there are no incentives or requirements to allow any animals to travel in the cabin of any UK registered aircraft or any flight entering the UK.  Your suggestion could work; your pets will need an EU health certificates to enter the EU.  Brexit has certainly complicated the travel between any EU country and the UK.  The UK is no longer part of the EU pet passport scheme.  My advice would be to speak to the companies that deal with it.  I saw a thing on YouTube where a couple travelled back to the UK from the European mainland, overland with their dog and it was a nightmare, but they made it, so it's doable.

The UK COVID vaccination scheme is going well; they are forecasting that the entire country will be vaccinated by August 2021.  Were you resident in the UK, so part of the UK's NHS system for healthcare, then vaccinations in the UK are allocated on a need basis, so if you're in one of the at-risk categories, you'll get the jab, if you're not, you'll wait till all those in a risk category above yours has had theirs; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that lists these risk groups; from what you've told us, you would be in Risk Group 10.  High street pharmacies are also delivering the vaccination, but only as part of the NHS scheme, so you can't walk in and buy one.

With regards to costs; the NUMBEO website offers regional prices for specific key items; this link will take you straight to there website; I've set it up to do a comparison between Columbus OH and London.  That salary you mention is not exceptional, neither is the relocation package they are offering.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

The salary is not that great, but still workable I feel since you will be living alone. Yes the area is expensive and lots of universities in the area and many many students. So you'll need to see if you can afford it which you can do by just going onto any of the property sites and entering the area and seeing what is for rent. If you budget doesn't allow you to save so much then consider living a little further out like so many other people do and commuting in to work. Btw, when I was at University we used to go to Roehampton because there was a place that played great jazz.

As for whether you should make such a sideways move, I would certainly do it. I have always found that when I've made a move then opportunities present themselves to you. To experience living in the London area and having Europe just a coach or train ride away is pretty excellent.