Japanese Import

Hi all,

I will soon be in Malta and planning to buy a used car when I am there. While browsing the internet I noticed  there are quite a lot of dealers selling Japanese imports, with prices that are affordable.

What are the pros and cons of buying a Japanese import vs a normal car? Is this recommended or is there something I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

You will not be able to purchase a car until you have your residence card.

Japanese imports tend to be in very good condition and come well equipped with extras. Spare parts are generally easy to get hold of too especially if you go for a model which is also made for the European market. I would go for something up to 4 years old and with up to 60k KMs on the clock. Always get a used car checked by a mechanic you trust prior to purchasing.

Thanks. Is this until I receive the card home or until the application is submitted? I heard that when the application is submitted you are given a temporary ID/number that could be used for insurance.... or at least that was my understanding (not sure is correct :) )

Pier89 wrote:

What are the pros and cons of buying a Japanese import vs a normal car?

What's a normal car?

Just a car that hasn't been imported... I was just wondering if there are additional taxes to pay or  something I should be aware of.... otherwise from a first glance it seems like a good idea to buy a Japanese import

There are no “normal” cars by your definition. The country is 20 miles big we don't make cars here.

Even a brand new car has duties on it from being imported.

Get the dealer to quote you a “on the road” price then all the costs are included except insurance.