THANK YOU!

A big shout out to the creators of this platform for developing such a valuable and helpful tool!
It's added to my excitement for the big move.
I'm still based in SA, but hoping to be in Mauritius by June 21.

My partner is opening a hosting business in Mauritius.
I currently run a design and marketing agency in South Africa, and can continue running it abroad.
I can get a Premium VISA - but would prefer a spousal VISA as I'd like to eventually get permanent residency.

My partner and I have lived together (renting) for 4 years, but have no assets, debt or children.
We contribute a monthly amount for shared supplies, into a credit card that's in my name.

I have found a domestic partnership agreement and looked into a civil union.
That looks like all the headache just without the title!
Anyone have any idea how I can validate that we are in a common-law marriage without heading down the aisle?

Are we able to apply for multiple VISA's (Occupational/spousal and Premium) to keep things flexible?

Many thanks!

Hello

If your partner is NOT a Mauritian citizen, the 'spousal Permit" will not be applicable to  you

You have all the information. here:
http://edbmauritius.com/faqs/

Thanks for the info!

He plans to get his residency and then I'll apply for a permit.
But starting to seem like a Premium VISA is a better way for me to go!

Megan,

from the latest EDB Guidelines document - Application for an Occupation Permit / Application for a Residence Permit:

https://www.edbmauritius.org/sites/defa … permit.pdf

“ 2.2.2 Dependents
The Dependents of Occupation Permit holders and/or Retired non-citizens are eligible to apply for a residence permit. Dependents are defined as spouse (2.2.2 Dependents
The Dependents of Occupation Permit holders and/or Retired non-citizens are eligible to apply for a residence permit. Dependents are defined as spouse (including Common Law Partner of the opposite sex), parents, and children including stepchildren or lawfully adopted children, under 24 years of age.
Application for a Residence Permit as dependent is made to and determined by the Passport and Immigration Office. Below is the list of documents to be submitted. for a Residence Permit as dependent is made to and determined by the Passport and Immigration Office. Below is the list of documents to be submitted.”

one of the required documents is a:
Marriage Certificate or “Certificate of cohabitation (Certificat de concubinage)“

so your goal should be to obtain this Certificat de concubinage to prove that you have been co-habiting for 4 years in SA already.

also you could maybe apply for yourself under the Innovator residency - you'd have to do the due diligence to see whether you qualify
(this is from the same EDB document):

2.1.2 Investor for innovative start-ups
Foreign nationals are eligible to apply for an innovator OP under the following 2 options:
Option 1:
No minimum investment required and submission of an innovative project to the Economic Development Board.
Option 2:
Registered with an incubator accredited with the Mauritius Research and Innovation Council.
Eligibility
i. The business plan should clearly depict all expenditures related to R&D activities.
ii. The scheme applies to companies conducting R&D in qualifying sectors including but not limited to life and health sciences, technology, ICT, fintech, biotechnology, nano technology, light manufacturing, pharmaceuticals and design.
iii. The R&D expense component should constitute of at least 20% of total operational expenditure during the research phase.
iv. The Economic Development Board will assess, on a case to case basis, each project on its own merit to determine its eligibility to the scheme.

the “Certificat de Concubinage” is referred to in the following threads here on the Expat forum:

“ provided they are able to produce an official certificate of cohabitation or PACS “
(translated from the French)
https://www.expat.com/fr/guide/afrique/ … urice.html