Veterans from the USA

Hopefully your surgery went well. Does the VA pay for your travel to Puerto Rico? I doubt it tho…

Good to know. Have you used the one in Santo Domingo?

Does anyone know how many US Veterans live in the DR ?  If so, is there some official site that can document the number.  I can not get through to the US Embassy, who I think should have that info. Thanks in advance.

Planing to move there in about 2 yrs . All I know there is a vet center in Santiago . That they can attend you service connection, VA champ . Have pharmacy and Doc for any needs .

Also file your claims , do your C and P appointment.

Following

I'm not sure the US Embassy would have that information. You aren't required to inform them that you are living in another country (although it is a good idea) and I don't think your passport (the way they can at least track where you are) indicates veteran status.

@vicml1 Actually I'm pretty sure that one called Wellvet in Santo Domingo and Santiago accept them. They're pretty good, well equipped, the team is awesome and very accommodating to the point they even deliver the medication to your house so you don't have to go there. They have even given me lunch for no extra fee!!

I was impressed there was somewhere like this here, as I know some places might even require you to pay subscription. This place is the real deal.
Yes very helpful here on in porta plata Sosua and building one in Sosua
Hello all, someone mentioned WellVet in Santiago. I recently moved to Montellano, between Sosua and Puerto Plata. I'm a retired 100% Disabled vet. I haven't needed care yet because I'm still returning to the states fairly often but that clinic in Puerto Plata is part of the "FMP", Foreign Medical Program. Are you guys referring to another program in D.R. that accepts Tricare4Life, I saw someone mention CHAMPUS?

@UncleBuck yes there's one and it's awesome. Meds4vets

@UncleBuck
Thanks
@gmccargin

:Life Quiro Spine Rehabilitation Center, Has Many services for Veterans including Chiropractic and Physiotherapy. They bill FMP directly, They are also Certified CMP ,DBQ exam sites with offices in Santo Domingo , Santiago and Puerto Plata.

@Jbat I don't know about Puerto Rico, but a few US veteran groups worked out a deal with a hospital in Costa Rica so that veterans can have their service-connected surgeries without paying anything up-front. This includes transportation, airfare, food, room, and board during the whole process in Costa Rico. This was done because in DR, specifically Santo Domingo,  all the hospitals want the surgeries paid up-front while the regular third-party VA clinics in DR don't require payments up-front.

@salfasi Great question! Currently, there few US veteran groups in Santo Domingo that are taking on the task to do a census on how many US veterans live in the Dominican Republic. I know it is at least in the thousands.

Hey maybe we can start a Expat in DR Veterans club, perhaps plan some beach activities or cookouts. I am a USMC 10 year veteran. Was an airwinger on a CH 46 Helo!
There are many US veterans in DR, but I would guess that there are more in Santo Domingo than anywhere else.
I don't think so.  Those who retire here tend to be in expat areas.

@polo1club awesome!! I'm a retired U.S. Marine with 22 years!! Living in Bavaro/Punta Cana.

@Reina La Jefa Thank you for your service and Happy Fourth! Will stay in touch, I will be out there in Nov. Hopefully a few can get together for a cold Presidente!

@polo1club I was in the avionics shop for 46's in the 80's. HMM 262 Flying Tigers and 364 Purple Foxes out of Kaneohe. I own a place in Las Terrenas. I'm here now for a few more days. Hoping to be full time in a year or so.

@huddleston1 Oh wow I was on Ch46 also with Mag 39  3rd MAW El Toro, I had a few friends in Squadron 364! Nice to meet you. Semper Fi Urah!

I just returned from Puerto Plata and stayed in Costambar. Within the Costambar community there is actually a hotel named Costambar. I bought four days through JetBlue. I met Two US military veterans there who were awaiting their Uber. They told me they are not together. Both are staying at Costambar hotel paid for by the VA, two weeks free. Free food, submit reimbursement with receipts. Free Uber. They were on their way to Puerto Plata Office of the VA said, “right on the malecón”. Going for free services and free massages. This is what they were telling me. Worth checking out.

I just stayed in the Costambar community in Puerto Plata. Within Costambar there's a hotel Costambar. I met two different guys stating they're free for two weeks courtesy of the VA, to unwind. Free hotel. Free food, by reimbursement. Two weeks. They were heading to an office for free massages, “on the malecón” they said. So there's something there. I'm going to investigate

8 year Navy veteran,  YN2, Captain's office, USS Midway, homeport Yokouska, Japan. 1978 - 1980.   VA-95, Whidbey Island, Washington, 1980- 1982. Navy Recruiter, Los Angeles, California 1982 -1986. I now live alone in, Bonao, but would love to meet other veterans.

I would like to share my gratitude to all for their service and sharing🙏🏼

US ARMY 1/101st AVN REGT expect no mercy!

@huddleston1

avionics/aircraft electrician AH64s/UH60s/OH58s

In the 80's

Good to meet you!

Hello all, I,m an Army vet in Santiago....1/2 ACR among many others.....1975-2015.

Hope to meet up with some of you guys someday!

Thank all of you that swore to put your life on the line to defend our country and our Democracy. We would do it all over.

@drilsgt - I'm a Canadian Vet that is/will be living in Moca. I'll be back there full time NLT mid Aug 23 after coming back to the frozen north to work to pay for building our house in Moca. I am a Life VFW member and ALWAYS enjoy & appreciate meeting fellow Veterans.

I have requested this last post be hidden for now, pending confirmation.   Once confirmed we will take additional action as needed

After a couple of interesting conversations I can confirm that the Puerto Plata facility is NOT an affiliated organization. They are NOT affiliated with the VA. They are not accredited. They are not a VA accredited agency.

1. No one needs to "Pay" to use their VA benefits even for the FNP program.  That is a fee they are charging to assist you and its NOT necessary.
  2. No one needs to Pay for assistance! There are many resources available.
  3. There are a number of organizations here in the DR that do NOT charge to assist you.  They are not affiliated but do not claim to be affiliated!

If you want more info go to www.VA.gov

The issue is not whether or not they can help you. The issue is how they are holding themselves out.  As things progress we will update you here.

A list of  agencies who can assist you will be posted shortly.

@tcantey Hey what's up my name is Lorenzo, Just moved to this country, working in call center not really for me. Was looking to move out there how are the jobs out there, am a native speaker

@drilsgt ease up drilsgt.  Obviously, you love the Philippines as many of my ole retired buds, and wasn't aware of San Juan VA Medical Center.

So everyone is aware - I will moderate to keep this on topic!

If you want a totally off topic no holds conversation go to the anything goes thread to  chat!!!

Remember to adhere to the basic rules, no name calling or profanity!  Any topic is allowed there and only there

Let' s make a meet for all of us service bros and sis to meet.

i live in santo domingo near blue mall.

Most do not live in SD.  Set up a meet anything me you want for those near here! 

My advice open a thread, decide. On date and. Location and post it a week before. Don't ask what works as you will get everyone wanting something different.  Just do it honey!!!

Other locations: someone take the initiative and set it up. Same advice

Correct lady! I t was just a general statement and will follow your advice as always.

thanks a lot

@scoldoc Good evening: The answer is "YES."

There is a Clinic in Santiago de los Caballeros and in the city of Bonao that provide Medical Services for US Army veterans.

Her name is Jan S L Wong. A very wonderful and pragmatic woman.