Not retired yet

Greeting expats

Was wondering what advice you have for this:

I am not yet retirement age. I am 56.

Can you tell me if I could live off of the interest of a CD or savings account?  Costa Rica and Ecuador both give really good rates depending on length of term.

Do you know if same is true in Belize?

If not, being from USA, could I work legally there? I have TEFL certificate but doubt it would be of use since English is widely spoken..

any advice?
Thank you,

Good morning....I do kno u can live in Belize and bring in money tax free...so if you do have any monthly income, u can receive it here without anything taxed here in Belize. You will need to go to Belize immigration monthly to pay for your monthly immigration stamp. After a year, you can apply for Permanent Residency with the right to work. However, if you are working online...and bringing in your money from your USA bank account, you can work online, pay for your monthly immigration stamps and then eventually apply to be a permanent resident

THank you Wendy.  THat sounds pretty good. I wonder what the monthly immigration stamp amount is? And if Belize banks have as good interest rates as Ecuador. Cheers.

@klind65, Belize does have their QRP which is for 45 and older where you can earn income tax free income in the US up to a certain amount (I think it's $250K), plus you can bring your stuff in duty free as well.

Monthly immigration is currently us$100 per month
Not sure about bank rates

Hi Wendy

ok. thanks.  Would you know if it is possible to get organic fruit in Belize? (not sprayed with poisonous chemicals).  If so, where is it most popular/prevalent? Cheers.

I kno The Greenhouse grocery store in San Pedro carries some organic....u can figure out where you like to shop once you are here...u can grow a lot yourself too with our tropical climate

Thanks! I do want to grow tomatoes and cucumbers and lettuces... but the fruits are top priority! I love Mamey Sapote!!

Immigration stamp varies by country, you can find it on the Belize Embassy Visa page. I currently am able to get a 3 month visa when I go in. Bank accounts are many steps to get, interest rates...not really. And you cannot get a mortgage.

$200 bz and they want to know why you are here.  After 3 stamps, they wanted me to leave BZ so I left BZ for 10 days and now I am back.