Air Purifiers, How Effective are they?

How much is HEPA filter replacement?
Is filter replacement for Table Top Air Purifier available?
How much is air filter replacement?
Do we need to change the filter or is it for lifetime?
Does your table top air purifier have aromatherapy feature?

a lot of it depends on how much space you have filter.  I had a 50 sqm Mi Airpurifier which costs about P5500 and replacement filters every 3 to 6 months.  The replacements were about P1500.  I really liked that model except the directions were in Chinese.  It can be programed for the speed to change according to the air quality.  I purchased a HEPA filter warp which works well and makes it easy to see the crud that is being filtered.  It is simply a role of filter material that is placed around the HEPA filter inside the unit.

There are such things as a permanent filter units but I have never heard of one that actually worked well.

hellorosie wrote:

I wanted to build my own, quite simple to do with one exception. I was going to use a box fan and place a 20" x 20"  square hepa filter in front or behind the fan (taped). I could not find  the proper size hepa filter anywhere unless I ordered 3M filters from the states.

I have a Honeywell HEPA filter here in the states. Used it when we had the forest fires. They usually have a coarse external filter that traps larger particles such as animal hair, house dust, etc. It is inexpensive to replace. You can see when it gets dirty. The more expensive inner paper filter only needs replacement annually or so, depending on how often you use it.

The only filters I ever use are those that come fitted on my cigarette tips.
:cool:

LMAO. Me too but also the filters in the car if we are going there. All that aside we don't have an air purifier here nor when we lived in Manila but in Manila we would clean the A/C filters every 5 to 7 days but here in La Union about once a month. Neither of us have any allergies so no real need for an air purifier, have to add that in Oz I could get hay fever from time to time but never here.

Cheers, Steve.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

I wanted to build my own, quite simple to do with one exception. I was going to use a box fan and place a 20" x 20"  square hepa filter in front or behind the fan (taped). I could not find  the proper size hepa filter anywhere unless I ordered 3M filters from the states.

Duct tape have done me wonders. Hanging a picture frame, balikbayan boxes, holding car bumpers together 😂, sealing outdoor Christmas light connection. I think fitting the filter to the box fan with duct tape would do very well. 😉
I use merv11. It came with A/C. I assume it was doing a good job when I see very fine dust stuck on it whenever I replace the filter every 6 months or so. I live away from city though and have lots of trees around me. So far, we experienced no respiratory inconvenience in the house.

hellorosie wrote:

air purifier is snake oil

I need a 'filtered' cigarette...I never leave home without them.

:D

Jesse777 wrote:
hellorosie wrote:

Jesse777: air purifier is snake oil

Well I better get a few gallons of "Snake Oil" and spray the house down. It all depends on what you think an Air Purifier is or what it does.

My interpretation  is for dust removal.

I'm not concerned with ultra violet light, positive or negative ions or contrails sneaking through the nano cracks in my hovel from UFO's.

I think table top purifier is not at all effective. I think all it does is keep the dust afloat.

Jackson4 wrote:

I think table top purifier is not at all effective. I think all it does is keep the dust afloat.

Yes, I bought one on Shopee for the bedroom (maybe 20 sq meters, 215 sq feet), it was about the size of a shoe box with intakes on both ends, it was too small to do the job. The filters collected a lot of dust, but made no difference in the amount of dust in the bedroom.

Next I tried a fan with mosquito netting, the webbing didn't stop the dust either. I wanted to use a box fan with a 3M Hepa Filter, but could not find any sources for the filter in the Philippines (20x20 inches).

In the states I could have easily bought the filter at Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot.

Well, it depends on your home space,  some HEPA air purifiers can clean over 50-80 m2 in 1 hour, it really efficient

Well, it depends on your home space, some HEPA air purifiers can clean over 50-80 m2 in 1 hour, it really efficient
-@Eddiee

This is an update from my previous posts on the subject, Eddiee is correct, I bought one on Shopee for around P1500. Similar air purifiers at S&R cost P5000 or more.

Some advice if you shop online, most have remote controls which sometimes work and some times don't. They all have manual controls, so pick one with the controls on top rather than on the side. It is easier to use, because you will probably ditch the flimsy remotes. They all have timer controls.

Read the specs, pay attention to the wattage, most are 45/55. The power consumed is for the fan, higher wattage, the bigger fan. After the initial purchase I bought three more, one for each other bedroom.

During the height of Covid I decided to have a D.Y.I. project, a monster air purifier. It was easy to build, everything available on Shopee.

Materials I bought:

(1) 20 inch box fan,

(2) 20 inch Balikyan Box.

(3) Four Hepa filters, most have between three to five stages of filtration, one stage being activated charcoal. Shop by size and price, don't overpay. The size is not criticle

(4) Several rolls of double sided foam tape.

Construction:

(1) On all four sides of the box cut holes approximately 1 inch smaller than the filters.

(2) Attach the filters using the double sided foam tape.

(3) Cut a hole approximately 19 x 19 inches on the top of the box.

(4) Attach the box fan on top facing up using the double sided foam tape.

(5) If you want to make it look more professional, you can purchase Walnut contact paper, which is difficult to use.

An update of my update:

Positive thing about my air purifiers which I didn't mention:

(1) Lowers air conditioner maintenance costs, for years I need my air conditioner serviced every three months to remove the dust that prevented air getting into the units intake, making the room warmer. This time it needed servicing after eight months.

(2) My laptop would over heat and shut down from being clogged with dust, I bought a can of Air Duster and blew the dust out.  With less dust in my environment the laptop functions perfectly.

(3) I have less electrostatic buildup on my monitor. I have an external monitor, keyboard and mouse on my laptop, also less dust buildup on the surface of the flat TV screen.

(4) The air we breath is more healthier.

All I Need to be FREE is "The Air That I Breathe"

& ....To have sufficient free flowing water when I turn on my taps. Even that I guess is a little too much to wish/ask for.

1f610.svg