Dog Friendly Rental Options?

Hello - My husband is considering accepting a transfer to KL and we're deciding if it's a good fit for us. Our first concern is the availability of pet friendly housing. We have a small-medium sized dog (just over 8kg). Desa Park City sounds like an ideal place for us, but I'm wondering how easy it is to find rental accommodation that will accept a dog slightly larger than the standard 7kg limit for small breeds.

If such rentals are available, what would be the approximate cost per month? A 3+ bedroom option would be best, but could do 2 if that's what fits the budget. Thank you!

Hi there,

If you go to some of the better known property websites in Malaysia such as those listed below, you can enter the location, no. of rooms, budget etc to see what is available and at what price. Each listing has an agent mentioned so just whatsapp them for more details. You can ask them directly about whether the landlord accepts dogs. Here are some of the better known property websites:

https://www.iproperty.com.my/https://www.propertyguru.com.my/https://www.starproperty.my/

Many landlords refuse to accept tenants with dogs (or cats). I own properties in Malaysia and my tenancy agreements always specify that no pets are allowed. Personally I have three cats and they've pretty much destroyed my sofas and I know dogs can sometimes do damaged to wooden furniture and doors as well as bark or yelp causing annoyance to neighbours, although not all dogs are like that.

Also, if you are thinking of renting an apartment rather than a house then realise that each condominium has specific bye-laws about keeping pets. Even though the government supposedly allows tenants to keep one quiet pet, individual condominiums may forbid residents from keeping them. However, that doesn't necessarily stop tenants or owners from having them. Also, if you have Malay residents living in the same building or block, they mayoften consider dogs the same as pigs, and won't go into a lift when there is a dog. That can cause issues and complaints etc.

So my recommendation is to take a look at the above websites and get an idea of rents and start to contact some property agents. The property market is in a depression at the moment due to Covid, oversupply, a general downward trend and lack of expats, so many landlords might accept lower offers on rent and perhaps allow pets where normally they wouldn't.

I would look at import regulations first. Some dogs are banned in Malaysia, and all others need a lot of paperwork.
After that, try the agents, but remember they always inflate prices as far as they think you'll pay.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for the resources. I will take a look at the websites you have suggested.

One other question I have right now is about driving. I understand Desa ParkCity is not well connected by public transit so driving to work would be necessary. Just how terrifying is driving in KL? I've found a wide range of opinions across the internet! I'm comfortable driving somewhere like Cancun, but uncomfortable driving somewhere like Cairo... if that puts my experience on a helpful spectrum at all.

Fred wrote:

I would look at import regulations first. Some dogs are banned in Malaysia, and all others need a lot of paperwork.
After that, try the agents, but remember they always inflate prices as far as they think you'll pay.

Thank you. I have confirmed our dog is not a banned breed and am familiar with the import requirements. If we don't think we'll be able to find a place to live with our dog in KL then we will look at other cities for transfer opportunities. I love so many things about KL though, so I don't want to give up the dream too quickly!

Shill88 wrote:

Hi there,

If you go to some of the better known property websites in Malaysia such as those listed below, you can enter the location, no. of rooms, budget etc to see what is available and at what price. Each listing has an agent mentioned so just whatsapp them for more details. You can ask them directly about whether the landlord accepts dogs. Here are some of the better known property websites:

https://www.iproperty.com.my/https://www.propertyguru.com.my/https://www.starproperty.my/

Many landlords refuse to accept tenants with dogs (or cats). I own properties in Malaysia and my tenancy agreements always specify that no pets are allowed. Personally I have three cats and they've pretty much destroyed my sofas and I know dogs can sometimes do damaged to wooden furniture and doors as well as bark or yelp causing annoyance to neighbours, although not all dogs are like that.

Also, if you are thinking of renting an apartment rather than a house then realise that each condominium has specific bye-laws about keeping pets. Even though the government supposedly allows tenants to keep one quiet pet, individual condominiums may forbid residents from keeping them. However, that doesn't necessarily stop tenants or owners from having them. Also, if you have Malay residents living in the same building or block, they mayoften consider dogs the same as pigs, and won't go into a lift when there is a dog. That can cause issues and complaints etc.

So my recommendation is to take a look at the above websites and get an idea of rents and start to contact some property agents. The property market is in a depression at the moment due to Covid, oversupply, a general downward trend and lack of expats, so many landlords might accept lower offers on rent and perhaps allow pets where normally they wouldn't.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for the resources. I will take a look at the websites you have suggested.

One other question I have right now is about driving. I understand Desa ParkCity is not well connected by public transit so driving to work would be necessary. Just how terrifying is driving in KL? I've found a wide range of opinions across the internet! I'm comfortable driving somewhere like Cancun, but uncomfortable driving somewhere like Cairo... if that puts my experience on a helpful spectrum at all.

Driving in Malaysia is pretty civilized and easy with good road signs and people generally follow the rules. I lived both in Bukit Bintang in the heart of Kuala Lumpur as well as in Bangsar later on, and both were absolutely fine for driving. Same goes for driving to places like Melaka, Penang or Cameron Highlands, people drive well here and it's a pleasure driving in Malaysia. And it is no way anything like driving in Cairo or Indonesia where I currently live. The only thing you need to watch out for are the traffic jams at rush hour.

You could of course consider other parts of the city which are better located and which have good public transport. By the way, why have you chosen Desa Park City can you let us know in which part of KL your hubby will be working? And, regarding finding a place where you can keep a dog, I think it should be no problem at all. Just let the agent know your requirements.

In Malaysia it is a renters market due to the oversupply of available accommodation, decrease in the number of expats and stagnant property market, so the priority for any agent these days is not to get as much rent as they can get but to conclude a deal at whatever rent they can. When I have a property that becomes available I have to deal with agents offering much below the normal market rate, this is partly due to Covid and a shortage of potential tenants. Landlords cannot be greedy in today's market otherwise they will be sitting on empty properties for ages. At the same time, whatever the agent or landlord is asking, it is worth negotiating the rent down.

Hi there

We moved from the UK end of November and our dog is flying over next week. ( He's 22kg so def a big dog )

We were looking at stand alone houses ( called bungalows here ) all of which seem to be dog friendly.  Lots of people who live in condos seem to have dogs but as someone has already mentioned, there are alot more rules
We haven't been to Desa Park yet but heard it's great for all things doggy so will be checking it out as soon as we can.
Good luck

Hello!

Yes Desa Park City is one heaps of housing area where it's animal friendly . And you have nice in house park where you can bring them for walking ect even if you renting a condo there .

If you are looking for landed places which is popular among expats you can try Gita Bayu at aero Kembangan .  Nice , cosy and can find some affordable ones too for expats.

Good luck !
Megna

Hi, does anyone ever live in Kampung Warisan? Is it really dog friendly. Thanks in advanced for answering my question.