Can you grow Thai herbs?

Keen gardeners, I'm a Thai food lover and former cooking school owner looking for someone with land,  to help me cultivate several herbs needed for the cuisine. These plants aren't hard to grow in Mexico's climate, and their niche produce has excellent market value. I live in the Guadalaraja area but you don't have to.

The thing about Mexico is many things grow here depending on what part of Mexico you are talking about. In other words, they don't adapt freely. I have orchids that grow well here but actually require a lot of shade to do so. If I buy one in Merida a place two hours from here they adapt well. If I buy an orchid of the same variety from the north of me they will not survive. Oregano grows very well here.

travellight wrote:

The thing about Mexico is many things grow here depending on what part of Mexico you are talking about. In other words, they don't adapt freely. I have orchids that grow well here but actually require a lot of shade to do so. If I buy one in Merida a place two hours from here they adapt well. If I buy an orchid of the same variety from the north of me they will not survive. Oregano grows very well here.

For me the best thing about YouTube are the DIY videos where people all over the world explain what's worked for them and what hasn't. But even with the benefit of their experience and advice, I expect some experimentation will be required initially.  My sister and her husband have managed to keep their kaffir lime tree thriving in New England! But for year round outside growth, for that one and the other plants I have in mind, clearly the warmer the better. I'm no gardener, but I'm going to venture that they're hardier than orchids. According to what I've read, galangal root does best in zones 10 and 11.

the standard phalaenopsis orchid is actually pretty undemanding and pretty tough. It wants what all plants want a tolerable environment.
I would spend a lot more time in my garden trying more things except I am susceptible to a nasty little bitting insect locally called the chaquiste. Which hangs out in foliage and is not repelled by any repellent I know of it can leave a very nasty bite that shows up long after exposure and leaves a red swelling dime to quarter size that remains for perhaps a couple of weeks.

I assume what you are trying to grow is more of a grass. What plants or seeds do you have?

Offhand I don't know the scientific terms for them,  but here goes: 1) Lemongrass is a grassy plant with long leaves. In Thailand it's cultivated and it grows widely and even wildly in backyards, to a height of a few feet. The bottom part of the stalk and the bulb are intensely flavorful and used to make soups and curry pastes. The leaves, though used by some in tea, are not used in cooking. 2) The Kaffir Lime tree produces a bumpy fruit that though inedible because it's so bitter, has an intensely flavorful skin that is used in curry pastes. But its fragrant leaves are much more commonly used, in a huge number of Thai dishes. Like lemongrass they are integral to Thai cuisine. I believe Kaffir lime trees require conditions similar to other citrus crops, but they don't grow much higher than 6 feet and don't need as much water as say, orange trees.  3) The galangal root (rhizome) is in the ginger family, but its taste is completely different. It is used in curry pastes and soups. Mature galangal is too tough to eat and is used only to impart its flavor, but young galangal can be stewed and eaten in savory curries, and is delicious.

All these plants are said to have health and even medicinal qualities. There are lots of photos of them on the web.

I have to return to the States in March, and when I come back to GDL I hope to be allowed to bring in some cuttings and seeds. I live in an apartment building without a garden and can put some pots on the roof to make a start. What I'd really like is to find someone who can do some contract growing of these crops. But that's a conversation best had privately.

You might want to check out Galanga restaurant in Mexico cd. They have a ranch that grows the plants you are looking for. Shipping in or bringing in plants and seeds can become a problem and why do that if its already available in Mexico? Actually plants like lemon grass are very common here.
As for any type of lime , lime is practically a requirement in everything Mexican.

travellight wrote:

You might want to check out Galanga restaurant in Mexico cd. They have a ranch that grows the plants you are looking for. Shipping in or bringing in plants and seeds can become a problem and why do that if its already available in Mexico? Actually plants like lemon grass are very common here.
As for any type of lime , lime is practically a requirement in everything Mexican.

Yes, I read about the folks at Galanga and will surely pay them a visit the next time I'm in CDMX.

I expected to find lemongrass for sale in at least one of the fresh markets in Guadalaraja, but so far no luck. The dried leaves are being sold for use in tea, but they serve no useful purpose in cooking. The fresh leaves of the kaffir lime tree are like nothing else in the citrus family and you can't make most Thai soups and curries without them. Nor is there any substitute for galangal.

Thanks for the tips, and happy gardening!