New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Thailand forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Thailand if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Everyone!

Hope you'll all staying safe in these uncertain times...

Noo and I having been married now for some 17 years are looking to settle in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan, quiet and peaceful. Close enough to Hua Hin and even Bangkok for a few days away. Previous lived in Phuket, and then moved to the UK for some 12 years.

Any expats living PKK way are welcome to get in touch.  :)

Julian: Where are you from?

Hey all!

My name is Mitch, and I am new to the forum!

I have been managing at my same company for a few years now, but looking for something part-time and less time-intensive as I undertake my own projects starting businesses online.

My specialties are in leadership, management (both HR and logistical project management), and teaching/guest lecturing. However, I also do some VO and voice acting and have seen some interesting postings on here for work in those industries.

If anyone wants to talk more about these topics, or advice on the industry I am always available to chat and help out!

And if anyone has recommendations for PT work that can help while I transition to my own business that would be great too.

All the best,
-Mitch

Hi all,
My name is Leon and I'm a British ex-pat living in Thailand since 2009. First in Salaya, Nakhon Pathom, and now in Banglamung, Chonburi.
I love everything about living in Thailand and I have never been back to the UK, (although I was only supposed to be here for 6 weeks).
I am semi-retired and do some work producing and promoting websites, which keeps me busy.
I can't believe it has taken me 11 years to find ex-pat.com as it appears to be something both useful and informative.
So Sawadee from me, I hope all is as good as it can be given the covid restrictions, etc.
;):thanks:

Hi all (or should I try sawatdii??!?)

I am planning an 'exploratory' move to Chang Mai in N. Thailand at the beginning of next year (2022 - post Covid God willing?!) Currently resident in a cold and rather wet UK!

I say exploratory as I have been to Thailand before, way back in the last century en route to a teaching position in Australia. I visited Bangkok and Koh Samui for a couple of weeks so very much a tourist visit, which of course I loved (and picked up a little of the language and culture??) I was in Australia for two years (teaching in Adelaide) before returning to the UK to continue my career teaching Science and Maths at High School level. (I am a Biochemist by training?)

Several years ago I took early retirement following 35 yrs at the 'chalk-face' to look after my ageing parents. Unfortunately my father has now passed on (seriously wounded in action back in 1962 and never very well afterwards!) my Mother (now suffering from dementia) has moved to be with my younger brother, so I now have the opportunity to join the Global Community and I would love to return to Thailand in a voluntary teaching capacity, teaching English (or whatever!) in a charitable or benevolent 'outreach' project in/around Chang Mai.

If successful I am planning to settle in Chang Mai (I can support myself on my pension and a small inheritance) so I thought an 'exploratory' visit in early 2022 would enable me to assess whether there is a project I can lend my support to and also if Chang Mai is where I want to be. Research and anecdotal evidence would suggest YES! but I know in Feb/March there is the 'Smokey Season'?! I'm OK with heat and humidity up to a point!

So any thoughts from expats already in Chang Mai (or Thailand generally) about my plans would be very welcome. I have done some online research but would welcome any input from folks 'on the ground' - on anything - housing, voluntary projects/work, 'retirement in Thailand etc....

Khob Khun krab!?! - Phew longer intro than I wanted.

Originally from Australia

Evening all,
New to the forum.
I have been an Expat since 1973.
Been living in Pattaya for a while now and retired in 2018.

Regards
T

Hi, I'm looking for a name or address in Bangkok of any American doctor who still is in practice in bkk or Phitsanulok..thanks you

Sorry, can't help with this one!
I'm not in BKK.

T

Hi,

We arrived in Bangkok 24th January and had to do 16 days quarantine, I'm still not sure how we got out from the UK however we did. 

I am a female teacher and work online completing leadership and management end point assessments as part of apprenticeship standards.  Here with me is my son aged 20 and daughter aged 17.  We are travelling around Thailand and at the moment are in Rawai.  Keen to learn as much as possible from anyone as we have no plans to return at the moment.  We have currently 3 and 6 months visas not sure how the Thai embassy gave us different ones on our passports.  2 years ago we went to Koi Samui and really like the island, we plan to revisit and some of the other islands if anyone can recommend, we like to dive if anyone can recommend the best islands or sites. 

My son and daughter are also looking to set up a clothing brand if anyone has contacts with quality clothing, designers or web designers here. 

Great to meet you all and thank-you for adding us :)

Greetings one and all......I look forward to reading here.... ;)

Hi Everyone,

I'm Vikki, currently living in the UK but looking to move to Thailand in the next 12 months with my husband and 2 children (11 & 16).

I don't know anyone who has moved to Thailand but hopefully I can make friends here who can help with advice.

Looking forward to getting to know you  :)

Hi, Im Terry , iv lived in Thailand for a few years, im home now in Northern Ireland , i dont have all the answers but il try and help whenever possible .  Dont hesitate to send me a message.
   Thanks
Terry

I am from Melbourne Australia I have been married to thai national for 15 years I have been to Thailand many many times I am very close with my ex wifes family and I plan to move to Thailand in the next 12 to 18 months I have many ideas and many plans on what I can do to help Thailand become a better country even in the smallest of ways I know I am only one man I do not expect to change the world but I would like to add a little to a country and its people  that I love. I truly believe that Thailand has massive potential and that I would like to add to the countries value and add to the country people I believe in my heart of hearts that this can be achieved down with love and respect this is something Ive been thinking about for the last 15 years but I do not know how to do it more than happy to give it a try and learn about many different things in different aspects of the country and its people

Good day,
My name is Ashley from Uganda, 21years old living in Chiangmai Thailand . I have been to Mexico, Dubai, South Africa, Kenya and Italy.

I am a private English tutor, I tutor kids. I am married to an American man, he's a teacher.

Chiangmai is a cool city just it has been hard for me to get friends here in Thailand, that's why I joined here, you never know.

Hi, I moved in on 31December, I will help if you need anything

I'm married to a Thai women from the US. We have been together for 35 wonderful years. 8 years we have been living here. Everything is good. We are both happy healthy, enjoying our retirement. I would suggest to you to look for a women that has a college education and a steady job. One who doesn't need to be financially taken care of. Also one within 10 years of your age. To young they will never be content with you, and to old they may not be healthy enough to take care of you when you get older. Good Luck to you.

Hi everyone! Am Jonas from Cameroon. I am a licensed High School Physics and Mathematics teacher. I want to move to Thailand. I have been to the United Arab Emirates, and to the Seychelles. I have taught for some  8 years in these countries.  Am back to my home country but want to move to Thailand for a long stay. Still looking for job positions though. I also posses a college diploma in computer systems and have been working as a computer technician since I came back home. AM hoping to get help from this forum and also will be happy to meet expats community in Thailand once I get there. See you soon.

jonasokale wrote:

Hi everyone! Am Jonas from Cameroon. I am a licensed High School Physics and Mathematics teacher. I want to move to Thailand. I have been to the United Arab Emirates, and to the Seychelles. I have taught for some  8 years in these countries.  Am back to my home country but want to move to Thailand for a long stay. Still looking for job positions though. I also posses a college diploma in computer systems and have been working as a computer technician since I came back home. AM hoping to get help from this forum and also will be happy to meet expats community in Thailand once I get there. See you soon.

Hi Jonas,

I teach science here in Bangkok although I'm a math teacher. I would suggest applying for jobs in Physics, other sciences, or computers as most English speaking math jobs here go to Filipinos. Every math teacher at my school in the English speaking program is from the Philippines. You can look for jobs on Ajarn.com or Jobsdb.com, but best place is to go right to school websites and apply to each one separately.

Good Luck.

Darrald here;
Just starting to research retirement in Thailand.
Anything is better than Edmonton in the winter.
2 years to go.
I am hoping for a 3 week vacation to Pattaya in early 2022 to check things out.
I will probably be asking a lot of questions here, there and everywhere.

Not sure about 2022, but right now Pattaya is dead. I was there in December and even the few girls there were desperate to talk to anybody and most people didn't want anything to do with them and just ignored them. All the bars and shops on soi 6 were boarded up. Not sure what you want to do there because even the beaches were sparsely populated with very few foreigners and the ones there looked like they live there and they didn't want anything, but be left alone and walk alone on the beach.

Hi Natpenelope

I know 2 women who are full time clothing designers.
I can contact them on LINE, I don't know their phone numbers or addresses.
- I expect you have that app on your phone?
It's the most popular communication app in Thailand and far better than Wahtsapp or Messenger
If you reply to this post with your LINE ID, I can put you in contact with them.
BTW, I'm a retired dentist from Australia

Cheers
John

Hi everyone I am George from Greece "not the jungle"  I work and travel the last 6-7 years mostly in Europe always seasonal work  as a hotelier but also worked in melbourne the last 2 seasons now I am looking to work in Thailand so as to be able to travel around Thailand and the near countries any info will be great :)

Greetings and thanks for the opportunity to use this forum. I'm Anya from the US, state of Oregon, home town Portland. I have been to Thailand several times and am aiming to start living there part of every year--in Chaing Mai. I work still as a mental health therapist, love my profession and would like to keep practicing there a little  still if there is a need in the English speaking ex-pat community....do you think there is a need for those services? Any licensed counselors out there reading this?  My other question is the air quality during smokey months in CM. Can someone share more about this, how people cope, how bad is it?  Thanks, warmly, Anya

Xerojet wrote:

If you reply to this post with your LINE ID, I can put you in contact with them.

Please don't post contact details on the open forums as safety is first and expat forums are targeted by every spammer and scammer you can think of.
For your own safety, exchange in private, and then only if you're sure of the person.

Hello, I'm Spanish living in Thailand for the last 20 years.
Happy to be in touch with others expats

Hello! 👋 Me and my husband are going to be moving to Hat Yai/Songkhla in the summer as he is a teacher and has a job to go to at Hat Yai Southern International School so we are researching the area. Mainly where's the recommended areas to live would be gladly received 😊 I've lived all over myself and originally from Brunei and my husband has lived in Thailand before (we're both British). We felt we needed a life change and so here we are! Be great to hear from anyone who has moved or know the area. Thank you

thailand4me wrote:

I'm married to a Thai women from the US. We have been together for 35 wonderful years. 8 years we have been living here. Everything is good. We are both happy healthy, enjoying our retirement. I would suggest to you to look for a women that has a college education and a steady job. One who doesn't need to be financially taken care of. Also one within 10 years of your age. To young they will never be content with you, and to old they may not be healthy enough to take care of you when you get older. Good Luck to you.

I thought it was mutual affection that counts, not each others bank balance or age..Are you saying you once married a much younger Thai lady and it didn't work out for you..?

can you tell me about Pattaya in 1973

Hi i know there is American Doctor in Mission Hospital Bangkok.  This is the only one sofar..

Thank you

Derek here, planning to move to Phuket in August with wife both from UK but working in Singapore.   Time to retire so usual fun of opening bank accounts, buy or hire a car and so on will await us assuming we can travel then and hoping without quarantine but expect this will continue to change weekly even though current signs are good.

Hi, i have been in Asia for quite some time. Made some holiday in Thailand and am impressed about the peoples calmness. I am thinking of finding a job as expat to move and live in Thailand.
Can anyone give me some advice. I have good expierince in automation programming machine controls.

Regards to everyone
Gerd

djm123, wonder how Singapore is, looked good from the airport
Me twenty years with Thai wife, she a retired middle school teacher,\
me a TEF prof in Korea, retired forcibly for age, from Nor Cal
Have spiritual disconnect sometimes, wife and people too materialistic, but that is the world

My name is Tom. I am an English teacher in Thailand. I have been here for 20 years. I went to high school at the International School of Bangkok. After a 12 year break, I came back here in August of 2000. I have been here ever since. I currently have a podcast, blog and YouTube channel that all talk about Thailand.

Hello expat team,

I am Moses Tumusiime, a Ugandan, Peacebuilding & Social Cohesion Programme Manager in Myanmar. Due to the current conflict in Myanmar I temporary relocated to BKK. I love meeting new friends, sharing experiences, fun, opportunities among others.
I have often visited Thailand and it's pretty nice with the people, food and social life.

Grateful meeting you friends.

Best regards,
Moses

Hi everyone, I'm Pat from the Philippines.

My boyfriend recently relocated to Bangkok and I am looking into doing the same. However, I'd prefer to find a job for myself before making the move. Any advice on finding and landing expat openings in Bangkok? My experience is mainly in the HR field, with some project and client management experience.

Cheers,
Pat

Hi everyone, I am from Poland and I would like to buy my own apartment in Thailand in the future.

May i advise you not to buy yet, the exchange rate is bad and if it returns to the levels of 15 years ago you will lose up to 50 % of its value .  There are many new properties for sale so the second hand market is also poor.  I owned a property for 15 years and while i broke even when i sold it , there were many unexpected bills each year that i hadnt planned for .  Replacement water tower on roof , swimming pool subsidence, installation of cctv , sinking fund , carpark resurfacing , corruption by management company , all this to be paid on top of normal service charges, insurance and utilities.  Hope this helps
Terry

Closed