New members of the Scotland forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Scotland forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Scotland if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

This is Frank

Hello Frank,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Could you please introduce yourself a little more? What has brought you to Scotland?

Looking forward to hearing more from you.  :)

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hi guys.
This is Frank Ndiata.
I'm living in Glasgow.
I recently completed an MSc in industrial engineering and management.
I'm planning to start my PhD here in Scotland.

Mr Waz-Aberdeen

wasinowiczalex wrote:

Mr Waz-Aberdeen

????

Hello. Angel from Boston. Hoping to move to Scotland. Or U.K. Period.

Hello everyone! We are the Gates family from Southampton. Me, the wife, 3 girls (8yrs, 4yrs   5months), and a golden retriever called Barney. We have a motorhome called Dixie and this summer we are planning on touring Scotland. We normally go to France, but this year it's a staycation. We are a little bit mad and don't really like planning. Just see where the road takes us.
Hoping you can all give us some great tips for our adventure. Places to see, stay and explore. The wilder the better!

Hello guys am Jose from Uganda hoping to move to Scotland.
Regards

Am from Kampala Uganda hoping to move to Scotland

Hi, I'm Jeff from Seattle, WA. Hoping to relocate to Scotland with my wife, son and 2 dogs in the next few months, fingers crossed. They sure don't make it easy do they :)

Hi everyone.
We arrived in Edinburgh 2nd July 2021 from South Africa. We are a family of three with a 14 year old Daughter.

Survived quarantine in the quarantine hotel😳 all 3 in one room.
Now struggling to get her into a school. School she was on waiting list for 16 months are oversubscribed… here is holding thumbs she gets into another school fast….. seeing that the new year starts tomorrow!

Louise

I believe it's really hard time everywhere right now . I spent 10 years in Scotland. The best place to live. I'm not sure what's happening right now, but in general it's easy to find a job, especially as a chef :-) good luck guys. I hope you will make it :-)

Hi everyone,
My husband and I just moved to Aberdeen after living in Edinburgh for 3 years. Naturally,  we don't know anyone in Aberdeen and it feels a bit lonely. How to make friends when you are +35 is my Google History! Seriously, there's nothing going on in Aberdeen to go and meet people. Any tip appreciated.

Hi all.
Moved here from Belgium 3 years ago. I am Scottish but my wife is Belgian and she has problems with her name/married name. Has anyone here experienced similar problems?  🤔 :|

Kakker wrote:

Hi all.
Moved here from Belgium 3 years ago. I am Scottish but my wife is Belgian and she has problems with her name/married name. Has anyone here experienced similar problems?  🤔 :|

My wife is Dutch and had a similar problem as her passport is in her Family name and always will be, it's how they do it; the fact that Brits seem unable to read past that to the "echtgenote van" is frustrating.  Nowadays (40 years later), she travels in her family name, it's a nuisance when airlines pre-seat a flight, but we get around that by paying for a reserved seat together.

Hi I am Christiane Sandra i am beninese. I am new. I live in Benin and I want to come in Scotland. I don't speak english very well so sorry.. Thanks you

Hello Christiane,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

You seem to manage to speak it well enough. ;)

Why Scotland, and not another country? Do you have any plans already?

All the best,

Diksha
Expat.com team

Hello everyone am jamiu from Nigeria hoping to do my PhD in radiography in Scotland

Hello, my name is Johson, I am 25 years old in a year or so I will be moving to Scotland to Edinburgh, currently I live in London but unfortunately I have to move because I will be working in Scotland

Hi. I settled in Glasgow. I share dual nationality. Ive studied law to date messing around with a degree. Hoping to meet n chat with other seniors. Thanks

Hello everyone,

My name is Javier, I am from Madrid, Spain and I am seriously thinking of moving to Edinburg on mid/late 2022.

I have visited the city 4 times in the past so I know more or less what I will probably find in terms of food, weather, people from the nord mixing English with Gaelic, this stuff. I work for a multinational software company and I am thinking about asking for an inter-company transfer so I hope working and getting a visa won't be an issue.

This is not my first international experience because I have already lived for almost two years in Austin, TX in the US. Nowadays, I am still making a pros/cons list and some days i think "come on, let's do it" and other days it's more "why moving now?" My main concern is about renting a house (not just a room) because I know this city is one of the more expensives to live in the UK.

Regards!!
Javier

jablanco wrote:

Hello everyone,

My name is Javier, I am from Madrid, Spain and I am seriously thinking of moving to Edinburg on mid/late 2022.

I have visited the city 4 times in the past so I know more or less what I will probably find in terms of food, weather, people from the nord mixing English with Gaelic, this stuff. I work for a multinational software company and I am thinking about asking for an inter-company transfer so I hope working and getting a visa won't be an issue.

This is not my first international experience because I have already lived for almost two years in Austin, TX in the US. Nowadays, I am still making a pros/cons list and some days i think "come on, let's do it" and other days it's more "why moving now?" My main concern is about renting a house (not just a room) because I know this city is one of the more expensives to live in the UK.

Regards!!
Javier

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Try the Numbeo website; this link will take you straight to a costing for Edinburgh, plus lots of other useful stats.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello!
My name is Gillian, I am from Canada originally and am currently living in England. I would like to make the move to Edinburgh and looking for any advice on relocating and finding work/a flat (especially during covid).

Slàinte!

Hi and welcome.

Probably one of the easiest moves we hear about; it really is as simple as getting on a bus.  Edinburgh is probably the most expensive place to live; many opt for the Central Belt as it's close, commuteable and affordable (read below).

If you don't know Scotland, then it depends on what you want; people tend to live in the South and what they call the Central Belt (basically the bit across Scotland with Glasgow on the west and Edinburgh on the east - just extend that line out to the coasts and down to the English border and you have the Central Belt.  North of that it's a bit more picturesque and rugged, the areas around Inverness are beautiful; then you have the islands.

My advice - book a couple of Air BnB's in the areas where you're considering and go and try it first.  Work is really dependent on what you do, there is work there, but you may have to be flexible.

BTW - not many Scots speak Gaelic, although it does seem to be growing with the Scots Nationalist agenda.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello! Name's Angel and I currently reside in the US and am REALLY trying to figure what I need to do to make the move from here to there. While I don't know where yet - I figured I'll get the process started and figure it out before too long. Thing is, my biggest concern is making sure I can bring my large dog with me - or it's a no go.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=969403

Thanks!

Closed