New members of the Panama forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Panama forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Panama if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello Everyone,

I'm Celia.  I've been living primarily in Panama since 2019 and love it here. I love the weather, the diverse people, the breathtaking beauty of its geology, flora, and fauna, and the relative peace we have here.

Even though everyone has their own horror stories about crime parts of Panama, I haven't seen anything worse than I did in Washington, DC in 1982, when it was called, "the crime capital of the world".

Right now I'm working to get my residency so that I can live here full time. I'm looking forward to reading your posts and learning more about the Expat community in Panama.

Cheers,
Celia

My name is Toni and I am planning to visit Panama the latter part of the year with my family. Would love to know what areas we should make a point of visiting to make this vacation/recon fun but also informative in deciding where to live?

How long as you going to be in town?  A lot of the coastal/resort areas require a little travel - nothing too hard - you can head to the beach areas either with tours or even on your own if you are comfortable driving.  Monkey Island is always a popular attraction for the kids (and adults)... Amador Causeway/Battery Park is a beautiful harbor area, with some shops and restaurants and outdoor activities - great in the evening with sunset over the harbor.  Lots of history in the old city, look for Independence Square to make sure you are in the right area.  Of course, Panama is a melting pot for foods of every kind - we enjoy visiting new restaurants when we are in town.

All that said - I am still fairly new to Panama so I am sure some others - especially locals - can chime in with many other options.

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are coming to Panama next week for our first visit, and to meet with our lawyer to sign some Friendly Nations Visa paperwork! We're both extremely excited to be taking this step to change our lives for the better.

There's lots to love about Canada, but all the negatives have us fed up and ready to leave. After much thought and research, we've settled on Panamá! Can't be sure what town we'll end up in until we look around, but Boquete is at the top of the list for many reasons. I've read soooo much about all the popular towns in the last several months.. and there's good and bad in all of them off course!

Can't wait to feel the heat, hear the birds and practice my Spanish soon!!

Good morning Open Ocean,
Welcome to Panama.
I'm Canadian also and owner of a Spanish school in Panama City on Via Argentina. We opened in 2001. ***
Admittedly, this past year has been difficult with covid and all the restrictions. And hopefully we will be opened soon.
Panama has been good to me although there have been some difficulties along the way.
Please come by for a chat whenever you are in the city, and we wish you great success and joy here.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : No external links, please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

I hope you're well.

My name is Rob and I'm a Canadian but have been living and working internationally (primarily in Africa) for the better part of the last 15 years.

I'm now in a position where I can choose where to live / work from and I'm very interested in pursuing residency in Panama. Everything I've read so far, open source, sounds like it would be a great fit. I'm hoping to make my first trip in March / April.

In the meantime, I'm hoping some of you who may have experience and be further along in the process of obtaining residency, getting a bank account & generally setting up, can recommend a few reputable law firms in Panama that I can contact to inquire about what preparations I need to make in the residency process?

Any and all good recommendations are sincerely appreciated.

Many thanks!
Rob

blog.thepanamaadventure.com/2017/06/05/good-people-to-know-in-panama/  Marcos Kraemer - a lot of people are really happy with him, including us. There are some documents that are easier to get before you arrive. His website will give you a lot more info.

Many thanks!

I am currently purchasing a home in Panama. I am also going to apply for residency. I am using Marcos Kraemer at Kraemer & Kraemer. Highly recommend him.

Glad to read your post. Am a young enthusiast and have always admired panama. I see you've lived quite a while there and am eager to know how to go about things there. Where I come from, every youth is suffering from heavy corruption on top offices, it's easier to find greener pastures than stick your head between your knees daily. I'll be thankful for feedback guys!

Hello,  I am new to this site.  I am from the US and love Panama City and it's people.  I have been owning and renting my apartment in Punta Pacifica for over 11 /years.  My plan on moving there sometimes after the pandemic.  Beyond the traffic challenges,  any other downsides?

Great. Nice to meet you. I'm Mary and currently thinking about retiring to Panama. I currently live in Ca. I am interested in hearing other people's stories on their transition from the US to Panama.

Hello to PanamaLynda and Pinkie32us,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Should you have any questions about a specific topic, do not hesitate to create a new thread on the Panama forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. My husband and I are booked to go to Panama in Dec/ Jan to sort out our friendly nations visa. We are going with Kraemer & Kraemer.

The pandemic has blessed us both with amazing remote work possibilities and we are set out to escape brutal Canadian winters. We like Dominican Republic and love Puerto Rico. We've never been to Panama but the immigration program seems straightforward enough and the tax laws are very enticing.

Most likely we'd end up being part timers in the closest neighborhood to Punta Chame (we are obsessed with kiteboarding) with electricity/ power/ fast internet  available. Any recommendations welcome!

Hi All, I have lived in Panama for 2 separate years. I became a Pencionado so I didn't have to leave. I lived in Panama City and spent time touring the country, Boquete, David, Coronado, some pacific Beaches, ,Bocas del Toro and more. I am considering returning sometime soon. Can anyone let me know if PC is back to normal from covid?
Thanks George

Hello Guys,

I'm new here, dual (Panama/USA) citizen. Speak native English and Spanish. Born in the old military days in the Canal Zone in Howard AFB with mixed parents. Moved to Dallas, Texas in my young teens, lived there around 16 years, then decided to move back 6 years ago.

Unfortunately, was let go from my remote Dallas job doing web development due to the pandemic and resorted to opening up my own small web development business doing freelance work here. But boy, the market is pretty tough right now!

Looking forward to getting to know some of y'all and network a bit with the expat community here. Thanks for the welcome! Blessings!

We live in El Carmen, and the city is again beginning to thrive, even notice new stores opening up. Some companies left, though. It was just announced that Chiriqui, Veraguas, and even Colon are again completely shutdown and quarantined. That makes me very nervous.

Hello, Panama Expats!

My wife and I are from Idaho, USA, but my career took us all over the USA and to several foreign nations.   We are now finalizing our Panama FNV process, and should be arriving for a 2nd visit this summer, maybe fall.   We used DAWCAS for our immigration attorneys, they have been spectacular!

We are now retirees, with adequate and stable income.  No children at home or traveling to Panama with us, but we may have some come to visit later. 

Why Panama?  Warmth!!  My joints are increasingly painful as I age.  So, looking for a warm, but perhaps not hot, locations.  So, we're thinking maybe Boquete, but have yet to visit there. 

Multitude of questions and thoughts, looking forward to engaging on the forums.

Jim
ExpatRusher

Hello,
My spouse and I are beginning our research and exploration on retiring outside of the USA.   We desire to retire to progressive country.  We desire a quiet, peaceful beach location with warm, calm and clear water.  Could Panama be the country for us?

Thank you!

Hello everyone. New to Expat and looking to make an exploratory visit to Panama to begin my residency process.  Anyone with insight into the process and services to make that happen would be great.

I think the exploratory visit should come first to see if you even feel good here. If that's a yes then go home and start getting your documents in order. The lawyer in the post below has info about that on his website.
https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/201 … in-panama/

Kris, thank you.  I've been to Panama twice on business so I have a little lay of the city.  Documents are already prepared, so I'd like to work in parallel on the exploratory visit.  All my documents are ready, through what I've gathered so far in terms of prep.  Are there any areas that I should check out while there?  Thank you also for the referral.

Dear friends. I would like to obtain some informations about Panama. Regards Patrick

Hi, everyone. My name is Terry and I'm a fit 62-year-old single guy looking to retire in the cool hills of Chiriqui, but integrating into the local culture rather than the expat culture. That's why I'll be starting my upcoming 6 months on a tourist visa looking for a rental around Rio Sereno or Volcan rather than around Boquete.

I'm flying into David in a couple of weeks from Ontario, Canada. (Got my 2nd shot a few weeks ago.) Can anyone give me some tips on finding a simple cabana or apt to rent around Sereno, Volcan, or Cerro Punta?

Last winter I spent January volunteering in the jungles east of Panama, February volunteering on Isla Colon (not in Bocas Town), and half of March volunteering in Rio Sereno, before the pandemic forced me to return to Canada early. My work was mostly farm and garden labour.

In Sereno I enjoyed my time with Ron Hunter there, and I was planning on staying at his cabana for this visit, but that plan looks like it's falling through and that's why I'm looking for a rental just 2 weeks before arrival. Might anyone have any ideas?

I'm not fluent in Spanish but I speak it well enough to get by on my own. I've done multi-month non-touristy volunteer projects in El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Ecuador so I won't be facing culture shock (or diet shock) in a small village rather than a town.

My ultimate goal is quiet retirement, gardening and volunteering locally. Maybe even finding a wife, local or expat.

Another 2 reasons I've chosen NW Chiriqui for starters are the cooler climate and better soils - I love gardening. I know El Valle fits those criteria too but I want a simpler, less expensive location. Santa Fe could fit the bill too, I don't know yet.

Anyways, my desire to live locally doesn't mean I won't want expat friends and activities too, so hello to you all and I hope to meet some of you in my adventures!
Take care,
...Terry

https://www.facebook.com/groups/584180662455866https://www.facebook.com/groups/496494550501876

might be someplace to look. Volcan might be a good place to start. There is enough there for your daily needs, and enough expats to talk with if you need some new friends.

You might look for Raquel's Ark B&B (in Volcan) if you need something temporary. It's an interesting place and she's been there for years and might be helpful in your search.

Bien viaje!

Thanks for those two great links and the B&B rec!
...Terry

Hi everyone!

My name is Kasey and I live in Bocas Del Toro, Panama.  Being on the Caribbean side of Panama where the mountains and jungle fall into the perfect golden sand beaches there amazing people, great restaurants, convenient flights and a vibe like no other place! 

Please give me a shout if anyone needs advice or recommendations.  I have been living here on and off for the last few years

Peace Love
Kasey

Hey there, middle aged guy from the UK, primarily London.  My family and I wish to escape and finally live in Panama or at least give it a 5 year try. 
Not sure if people from the UK ever go there to live, all seems to be USA, Canada and South Africans not even sure if Spanish people migrate there.
Of course they all do!
I will be posting 3 or 4 question which I'm finding hard to get answers from, hopefully somebody may know or have had experience especially when it come to the English.

My pic is a post digger, hopefully I will be using it a lot more if we make it out there.

Hi everyone!

We are Canadian expats now living in Turks and Caicos and looking forward to moving to Panama. We love reading all your inputs and comments :-)

We are starting the process now. Any advice on how to bring dogs and a boat to Panama?

Many thanks!

G, B, O and our 2 furry friends :-)

Kasey hi,

I am living in Jacksonville, Florida.  I would be interested to know an approximate cost of living in Bocas Del Toro.
Please add any description of the life style such as food, health care, socializing etc..

Thank you,
Chuck

Hi everone!
My husband and I are currenly livinging in SA and wanting to relocate to Panama within a year or so.

We are excited in hearing from fellow South africans on your experiences, good and bad, and also on any tips, info before we make the big leap.

Looking forward to hearing from you .!

Lella

Hey there

Guessing you have already seen their videos, "We Moved To Panama" on YouTube.  They are from SA and are very detailed, not entertaining but informative.

Hello, Dennis here in Panama,

I am a semi-retired American citizen been living in Panama since 2001. For the last 13 years I have lived and operated Pesca-Arenosa a charter fishing service in the village of Arenosa on Lake Gatun.   After 20 years, all and all, I can say that Panama has been really good for me.   Yes, seen a lot of changes and almost all have been for the better.  My home and business are currently for sale only because I have developed a case of "wanderlust" and want to experience other places.

Hola
Are you still renting the pontoon boat? Please do let me know when you sell the business so that I can come to fish. Gracias, Mikkel Moller

Hello Mikkel,

Yes, We are still renting out the pontoon boats.
Everything is current on my website pesca-arenosa.weebly.com

Hope to see you soon

Dennis

Hi everyone,
My wife and I will be coming to Panama (PC) in September for a few weeks with the intention of checking things out before moving to the country. I am British and my wife is Colombian but we have been living in Spain for the past 14 years. I have also lived in Colombia for a long time so I thing I shan't be surprised much by Panama. For our visit in September I would really like to meet up with some expats to get some up to date details of the Panama lifestyle.

I'm over 50 and my wife is over 40 but we have a young outlook. I'm a former naval officer and airline pilot, so I have "Been around". Can any members recommend a drinking or eating establishment in PC to meet other expats (first round is on me!).

Hi Middle aged UK guy,
I'm a middle aged UK guy and I will be in Panama in September. When are you going to be there?
My wife and I currently live in Barcelona, Spain.
Cheers

Hello!
I was in Panama in 2019 for a few weeks, as I was riding my moto to S.America.
Spent most my time in Amador, a few days in Colón and departed out of Linton Bay.

I thought that it was one of the places I would most like to return to.

I'm close-ish, but not old enough to 'retire', Looking to see if there is a job connected way to get there.

Where abouts in Colombia?  I spent a lot of time in Bucaramanga.

Closed