New members of the Indonesia forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Indonesia forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Indonesia if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi there my wife and i are in our late 50s and are looking to retire somewhere in indonesia early to mid 2022 with our dogs anyone who could provide any advice on areas where there are expats and good retirement areas would be much appreciated as there seems so much to organize and get our head around and we dont want to make any stupid mistakes. we are currently located in melbourne victoria and looking online it looks like bali is out for us as we cant take our dogs, anyway nice to say hello to you all cheers Darren

the quieter the better for us we would like to be reasonably close to expats and medical just in case i am appreciating all the advice we can get cheers

Hi there, local here. The quieter places and relatively close to expats wouldn't be easy to find. But, I would consider Malang in East Java, relatively close to Surabaya, Bogor (to Jakarta), Tasik (to Bandung), or Salatiga (to Semarang) as one of the most tolerant cities in Indonesia. Still, as a local, I am still exploring Indonesia for my future retirement.

cheers i appreciate the information there is a lot to learn and its not easy when you cant get over and speak to people and look around for yourself

Hi,

You can check on youtube, there are a lot of video explaining how to move to bali even buliding a house there. Recently I watch Chidi Ashley youtube. Hope it'll help :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP7EC3ni_nc

Hi,

Thanks fred. Yes you're right, foreigner can't fully own a land in Indonesia. I should mention on Chidi Ashley's youtube she built villa for investment purpose, I guess there's business aspect on how she can do that. You can watch her explanation, her video title is "I'm Building a house in Bali! | Bali villa update".

Thanks for the explanation, I really hope her the best and she doesn't get scam.

Hi all,

Got an offer at a tourism tech startup in Jakarta, wondering how much is senior manager level salary I should ask for. Moving my wife and our 2 children (age 13 and 9) for middle school and high school in english speaking school - since the kids may return to US for college.

Looking for information about average expenses for renting 4 BR house, maybe car payments, and after school activities such as swimming, or music lessons, etc.

At the moment, my wife and I have joined income of 200k yearly salary. Although we may rely on my salary to start with going forward. Any pointers will be much appreciated!

hello i saw your message about looking for apartments.
you can contact me on my what app number ***or my email ***
so we can discuss.

Thanks

Kind regards
Solomon Smith

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange contact details via private messaging please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey guys!! Hope you are all staying safe and healthy.

Greetings from Pulau Weh, Sumatra.

Hi Guys, I'm looking to enroll in a bachelors program in Indonesia this year.. can anyone point me to the right direction as i want to move to indonesia next month

Hi all!

My names Connor and me and my girlfriend are looking to move to Bali in august (when corona allows).

I‘m hoping to be an English or mathematics teacher (fully qualified with a BSc honours degree in mathematics and physics and a full advanced TEFL). Any advice on how to get a job in Bali would be greatly appreciated!

Is there anything I should know before moving? I've read a lot of different online forums and stories of people who have moved and they all say it's amazing.

Thanks!

Connor

Con-lad97 wrote:

Hi all!

My names Connor and me and my girlfriend are looking to move to Bali in august (when corona allows).

I‘m hoping to be an English or mathematics teacher (fully qualified with a BSc honours degree in mathematics and physics and a full advanced TEFL). Any advice on how to get a job in Bali would be greatly appreciated!

Is there anything I should know before moving? I've read a lot of different online forums and stories of people who have moved and they all say it's amazing.

Thanks!

Connor

Welcome Connor, not sure if in August Indonesia will open the borders to foreigner, yestrrday the ministry of economy state that they will not able to open this year, better keep an eye to the Indonesian immigration website.
Anyway, are u already been in Bali?
If not, better u plan to stay here 2/3 month (when It will be possible), moving around, meeting people, try to understand the culture and the laws, reality Is not always like postcards.
About the job, u have the skills, try to contact International school, there are many in Bali.

Awesome, thanks so much! I'll check it out today :)

Can I ask what made you personally not like Bali? Don't worry you can be 100% honest, I (and I'm sure anyone else looking into moving Bali) would like to know everything, including the bad so I'm 100% prepared! If you're not allowed to write it on here feel free to personal message me :)

And once again, thanks for your time!

Yeah I'm not 100% sure if they'll open the border but that was my timeline from early last year (before the corona virus was a worldwide pandemic) and so it's okay if the Timeline doesn't work! Where are you from? Do you live in Bali? Can you tell me some things you like and dislike about life in Bali?

Con-lad97 wrote:

Yeah I'm not 100% sure if they'll open the border but that was my timeline from early last year (before the corona virus was a worldwide pandemic) and so it's okay if the Timeline doesn't work! Where are you from? Do you live in Bali? Can you tell me some things you like and dislike about life in Bali?

I live in Bali since 9 years, out of the tourist area of Kuta, Seminyak and Canggu u can find the true Bali, but the point Is what kind of lifestyle u are loocking for and if u can accept the local culture, religion and laws, thats why I suggest a 2/3 months here ti check It out.

Fred wrote:

I do not live in Bali, but a few days there told me a lot about Kuta and some parts of the south.

Blue Bird taxis are honest and safe, but a good number of the local companies are neither. Some hotels work in cahoots (yes, I do intend to suggest they're corrupt, or at least part of the rip off) with bent taxi drivers.
There are loads of men on the streets of Kuta shouting , "Young lady" at any foreigner they see - How young I declined to find out because I'm not a filthy git.
Drug dealers were selling weed on the streets, another hobby I really dislike.
A good number of locals were selling, sorry, giving away prize tickets. You always win, but you have to buy overpriced rubbish to get your prize.
There were significant numbers of foreigners riding motorbikes, some very clearly drunk, and the majority without a licence.
I was pestered to hell with tour guides selling overpriced tours to places I wasn't interested in visiting. I got to the point I was less than polite after the first 10 or so.
The locals, and I can't blame them in many ways, are used to ripping off foreigners with more cash than brains.
I'm assured things are far better when you get away from the south, but I didn't have the opportunity to find out first hand.

If I may ask a question - Why Bali?

thanks, I had no idea it was so bad in the south, I'll be sure to be careful and I can fully understand your frustration with these things. drunk drivers, sexist pigs and drug dealers! my god!

Well the reason I wanted to move to bali was after having a few holidays there and all of the expats that have sung to the high heavens of how great Bali is, this is exactly the reason I wanted to opinion of real people who have had other experiences to what I've had. I knew that living there would be very different to simple holidays there and I was familiar with the drug dealer EVERYWHERE, didn't necessarily bother me but certainly not something I was interested in. I hated seeing tourists on motorbikes, and can definitely tell that they were drunk. some people are so damn inconsiderate, main reason I never wanted to drive there myself.

I was there to party and have fun/ relax, as were most of the other people that I saw, and so knowing this I couldn't possibly want to hire out any vehicle. knowing I'd be drinking most days and definitely not willing to drive with alcohol. I have a pure hatred for those kinds of people

Fred wrote:

PS - I should note I'm a boring old git as uncool as I am fat and ugly.

Old or not, I can understand the point and agree with it. I don't want to be worried for my safety or my girlfriends safety because of some idiot whos had one too many or someone harrassing her.

P.S. come on show yourself some self worth, im sure youre much cooler that you think!

Marcello Manganese wrote:
Con-lad97 wrote:

I live in Bali since 9 years, out of the tourist area of Kuta, Seminyak and Canggu u can find the true Bali, but the point Is what kind of lifestyle u are loocking for and if u can accept the local culture, religion and laws, thats why I suggest a 2/3 months here ti check It out.

Thanks, I am looking into fully immersing myself into Balien culture, exploring the religion, culture and way of life like a true native. So i'll definitely be sticking away from tourist areas, hoping to go out, meet many friends and life a true Balien lifestyle.

So you've lived in Bali for 9 years? Wow! Thats awesome, where did you move from? and what part of the island is your favourite?

Con-lad97 wrote:
Con-lad97 wrote:

Thanks, I am looking into fully immersing myself into Balien culture, exploring the religion, culture and way of life like a true native. So i'll definitely be sticking away from tourist areas, hoping to go out, meet many friends and life a true Balien lifestyle.

So you've lived in Bali for 9 years? Wow! Thats awesome, where did you move from? and what part of the island is your favourite?

I moved to Bali from Italy, after being there 2 times for holiday and another time for 3 months, exploring all the Island, including dive spot wich are amazing.
Actually I live in a small village in the district of Jimbaran, very few turism, one of the most beautiful beach in Bali, protected by a bay, so there are not big waves and close to Bukit, a mix of surf tourism and traditional villages, some beautiful beaches, some for surfers, others family friendly and others hide at the sight with very calm waters.
Another great area is Munduk, in the north. the green soul of Bali, place of lakes, waterfalls and temples, and of course strawberries, with a weather cooler than the south.
I suggest to visit also the area of Sideman valley, in east Bali, very rural, the most authentic Bali, where u can experience how was Bali 30 years ago ,before tourism altered the landscape of the island.

"Thanks, I am looking into fully immersing myself into Balien culture, exploring the religion, culture and way of life like a true native. "

Sorry mate, that's a load of bollocks....

Anyway, as some described it above, Bali is hellish, better stay home .

Bali Frog wrote:

"Thanks, I am looking into fully immersing myself into Balien culture, exploring the religion, culture and way of life like a true native. "

Sorry mate, that's a load of bollocks....

Bali Is hellish for people unabe to adapt to the balinese way of Life, probably u are one of them, rimember, u dont choose Bali, Bali choose u.

"Bali Is hellish for people unabe to adapt to the balinese way of Life, probably u are one of them, rimember, u dont choose Bali, Bali choose u."

Obviously you didn't catch the tongue in cheek part...
Me ? Over 30 years expatriation in a dozen countries. 25 years in Asia in 6 countries...
I choose when I move in, and I choose when I move out.
But yes, I would sure not live in Semyniak, Legian Street area or Cangu. Not my "profile".
I dont "become" a local anywhere I live, because simply I will never be one. I am French and I live like a French anywhere I live in the world. But I adapt to the local "customs" when necessary.
I guess now you will call me a colonialist ? 😄😄😄😄

Fred wrote:
Bali Frog wrote:

Sorry mate, that's a load of <snipped naughty word>....

Bali Is hellish for people unabe to adapt to the balinese way of Life, probably u are one of them, rimember, u dont choose Bali, Bali choose u.

Ner.
I agree expats should explore and enjoy local everything, and at least respect when they don't want to engage in, but Bali, or at least the bits that tourism has ruined, is a bloody mess.

I would like to visit areas pretty much untouched by the plague of mass tourism in order to see what the island is really like, but we have to be aware of reality, that being droves of drunken bogan tourists have messed up quite a lot of the place.
Their clueless stupidity has brought out the worst in a lot of people, the upshot being rabid rip off taxis, "you've won a prize", and street drug dealers near the ground zero monument.

A prospective expat doesn't need a view through rose tinted glasses, they have to know what they'll see where they live and work. That means, at least in this case, what the area around their school is like.
If it's in a tourist area,I would suggest skipping it as they'll probably get sick of people shouting, "lady, lady", getting stopped in the street to be offered expensive tours by pushy twats that won't take no for an answer, and drug dealers trying to sell you their crap.
I know Bali relies on the tourist industry for its economy, but I'm unsure the destruction of what I suspect is a lovely culture in favour of an open toilet is worth the cash.

I'm assured the non-tourist infested areas are far better but, as I said, I'm a boring old git who doesn't party, so perhaps my views of rampaging/motorbike riding drunks are coloured by my lack of cool.

The point Is not to give a  view of rose tinte wine, but a global vision.
Drug dealers, prostitution, drunk tourists making troble exsist in the very limitated area of Kuta and for sure not around schools wich are not located there, Seminyak is a high class tourist area and Canggu is a trendy didital nomad area, the rest of the island is still the true Bali, even where are placed tourist destinations, tourists are not the same who enjoy Kuta,  they are fully respctful.
So, again, please be carefull when desribe a Country if u dont knouw the whole place, this forum Is intented to help people to have acomplete and accurate vision, not Just the snapshot of a Village district.

Bali Frog wrote:

"Bali Is hellish for people unabe to adapt to the balinese way of Life, probably u are one of them, rimember, u dont choose Bali, Bali choose u."

Obviously you didn't catch the tongue in cheek part...
Me ? Over 30 years expatriation in a dozen countries. 25 years in Asia in 6 countries...
I choose when I move in, and I choose when I move out.
But yes, I would sure not live in Semyniak, Legian Street area or Cangu. Not my "profile".
I dont "become" a local anywhere I live, because simply I will never be one. I am French and I live like a French anywhere I live in the world. But I adapt to the local "customs" when necessary.
I guess now you will call me a colonialist ? 😄😄😄😄

No, I call u a nazionalist, the french grandeur, many like u around the world, just running to make money and never feel at home, but its ur life, no problem for me, Just dont dare to foolish someone Who says he want to live the balinese way of Life, calling his expectations "bulloks"!!!
Be respectfull, and u will be respected.

Fred wrote:

Not a snapshot of bali, just Kuta, the places near it, and the bits of the far south I visited.
Taxis - Stopped using all but Blue bird because, of the taxis I used, only Blue bird were honest.
The pimps and drug dealers were only in Kuta, but the former were all over the town, not just a little bit of it.
Same goes for press gang travel agents and those people selling winning tickets.
I got sick of being pestered.

If the OP is looking at any schools anywhere near that lot, I would strongly recommend they skip the idea in favour of anywhere else but there.

Indeed, Kuta Is a small district, and the area of the movida Is a small village, so yours Is a snapshot of a small village district of Bali
There are no schools there, very few houses, its Just a well delimitated area for certainly kind of tourists, I wonder how did u end up there with all the free tourism area that Bali can offer, maybe It was what u are loocking for?

Closed