Expat personal safety in the Philippines

There are many things likable retiring in the Philippines, i.e. warm weather, beaches, laid back, affordable. There are also some drawbacks, i.e. healthcare, security, freeloaders, etc. With the current state of policing, do you feel safe in the Philippines? How do you protect yourself?

Never felt personally threatened in the Philippines except once. I was on Luzon, out on a remote back road, taking some photos in a steep overlooking spot with my pro cam/lens and a car that was driving by fairly fast suddenly braked to a stop and pulled off about 30m ahead of my rented vehicle. There was no room really, it was a narrow road, and it immediately raised a red flag for me.

I moved back around my vehicle and got in, just as two pretty big young guys came walking up to the car, one on each side. They were "making conversation" but it didn't make sense, and I got the feeling they were sizing up the situation, if I were alone, etc. I had left the car running so I put it in gear, gave them a wave and drove on. I had a gut feel I was about to be robbed, and on that back road it could have easily turned into worse, but it could also have just been curiosity on their part.

Basically, you just need to always have situational awareness.  Other than that one possible incident, I have never had a problem, never felt threatened, always had respectful interactions. Most Filipinos are very friendly, but don't kid yourself - there are some bad apples and it is an impoverished country.  I probably shouldn't have been out there with my pro camera gear, but it's what I sometimes travel with. Other than that, I generally avoid being out too late, don't drink, rarely go to bars.

pnwcyclist wrote:

Never felt personally threatened in the Philippines except once. I was on Luzon, out on a remote back road, taking some photos in a steep overlooking spot with my pro cam/lens and a car that was driving by fairly fast suddenly braked to a stop and pulled off about 30m ahead of my rented vehicle. There was no room really, it was a narrow road, and it immediately raised a red flag for me.

I moved back around my vehicle and got in, just as two pretty big young guys came walking up to the car, one on each side. They were "making conversation" but it didn't make sense, and I got the feeling they were sizing up the situation, if I were alone, etc. I had left the car running so I put it in gear, gave them a wave and drove on. I had a gut feel I was about to be robbed, and on that back road it could have easily turned into worse, but it could also have just been curiosity on their part.

Basically, you just need to always have situational awareness.  Other than that one possible incident, I have never had a problem, never felt threatened, always had respectful interactions. Most Filipinos are very friendly, but don't kid yourself - there are some bad apples and it is an impoverished country.  I probably shouldn't have been out there with my pro camera gear, but it's what I sometimes travel with. Other than that, I generally avoid being out too late, don't drink, rarely go to bars.

I live in a good area in Manila.  I feel very safe living in my condominium for 3 years . Police and condominium security every where.

pnwcyclist wrote:

A good heads up for all expats here...just don't ever let your guard down if you want to remain safe.
Trust your instincts,Remain alert & be aware of your surroundings and observe the people around you.
Walk in well-lit areas (I hardly venture out of my compound after 8pm unless for emergencies)....Also do not flash expensive/luxury items nor carry large sums of money & invite unwanted attention.
Omo

:D ..sorry double entry

glad you left car running and drove away, that looked bad.
only time i felt threatened was my first visit here,some guy in angeles told me his brother opened a new bar and he could get me in free etc..
he flagged down a tricycle and he started giving directions to the guy in tagalog. we went off to some area i had no clue where i was, they stopped and when we got out there was no bar around and they guy started trying to reach near my pocket and was saying some people carry a razor and would cut open your pocket and take your money and you wouldn't even feel it, like a warning.
he slid a finger inside my front pocket and i jumped back and took a fighting stance and demonstrated a spin and kick lifting my foot high enough to easily contact one of their faces.
they driver guy ran to his tricycle and grabbed a broken pool stick he had stashed atop the roof, the other guy just stood in shock. many people were around as we were on a sidewalk but nobody looked inclined to help. we danced around a bit and i shadowboxed at them and kicked a few more times in a karate pose and we seemed at a stand off.
i took the pause to run down the street and jumped into the back of a jeepney and the pool stick guy followed me,the other guy was too out of shape to run. in the back of the jeepney everyone was genuflecting and praying and looked scared but nobody said anything or acted to help.
when the jeepney began to get some speed i jumped out the window and ran across a park, the other guy waited to long and the jeepney was going too fast to jump and i lost him.
i had no clue where i was or how to get back to my hotel.
i remembered i had a picture of the hotel and surroundings in my camera and showed it to a tricycle driver and he knew where i wanted to go.
i realized it was a foolish move to listen to some stranger promising some shit and go anywhere with him but i had just become too comfortable with all the smiling 'nice' people i had seen since i arrived.
that was 11 years ago.never had an issue since,nor did i allow the chance for it to occur again.
in retrospect they were very shy thieves,not like south chicago where they would just pull out a gun or knock you over the head immediately and do what the liked after you were dead or knocked out.
by the way, i dont know karate but have shadow boxed and practiced kicking face high on a dufflebag since i was a teenager and felt confident i could have planted a steel-toed boot on either of the guys heads if i had to,luckily my "kung foo" stance and loud -"HIYYAAAHH!"  was enough to make them pause and rethink their plan.

Soonretired wrote:

i jumped back and took a fighting stance and demonstrated a spin and kick lifting my foot high enough to easily contact one of their faces.

we danced around a bit and i shadowboxed at them and kicked a few more times in a karate pose and we seemed at a stand off.

by the way, i dont know karate but have shadow boxed and practiced kicking face high on a dufflebag since i was a teenager and felt confident i could have planted a steel-toed boot on either of the guys heads if i had to,luckily my "kung foo" stance and loud -"HIYYAAAHH!"  was enough to make them pause and rethink their plan.

Wow,  You should have used these talents on your squatter, maybe he would have paused and rethought  his plans.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Soonretired wrote:

i jumped back and took a fighting stance and demonstrated a spin and kick lifting my foot high enough to easily contact one of their faces.

we danced around a bit and i shadowboxed at them and kicked a few more times in a karate pose and we seemed at a stand off.

Wow,  You should have used these talents on your squatter, maybe he would have paused and rethought  his plans.

The squatter who recently passed away was mentioned as being "Huge"
I did question what he ate being a local & all...but then again this incident was some 11yrs ago so I presume maybe some of soonretired key joints may have rusted out 😆  & not in the same "confident" condition as they were especially if dancing around was required.
Best not to look for trouble if you can avoid it.
Omo
:cool:

manwonder wrote:
Enzyte Bob wrote:
Soonretired wrote:

The squatter who recently passed away was mentioned as being "Huge"
I did question what he ate being a local & all...but then again this incident was some 11yrs ago so I presume maybe some of soonretired key joints may have rusted out 😆  & not in the same "confident" condition as they were especially if dancing around was required.
Best not to look for trouble if you can avoid it.
Omo
:cool:

LOL, yes the past 11 years have done a number on my flexibility as well as my confidence !
i was a flatbed driver hauling oversize loads and had plenty of exercise back then, never had any actual confrontation with the squatter guy, just exchanges of dirty looks. he was a little taller than me i doubt my foot could have reached up there anymore LOL
i generally try to avoid physical confrontation unless i am forced to defend myself.

Glad you got away. Crazy situation..

Manwonder said it well - you really have to trust your instincts.  If something appears "off"  it probably is. Better safe than sorry.