Teach English with School Holidays?

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to HCMC in three weeks with my partner. She already has a job there at an International School, and so she will have school holidays off.  I have recently completed a TESOL certificate, and I have an unrelated degree.

Due to the nature of her holidays, we are looking to travel in the time she doesn't have to teach.  So, when we get to HCMC, I would ideally love to find a job teaching English, where I can travel during school holidays.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Or can you let me know where I can start to look for such a job?  I'm assuming that most of the English Language centres are open during school holidays, and so I'd have to work then, correct?

You have a degree and a teaching cert, no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a job in a school, Ok probably not one of the top schools but it's possible and get the same time off as your partner.
The Language centers are indeed open all year how much you work is down to how much negotiation you can do, but if your not available for long periods it may well put them off employing you long term.

Hi Tano,

As you have a certified degree, you will easily find a job there. Do not worry.
However, I wonder if you are looking for a job in a training center only or if you can be a full time teacher fora company in particular.
At BK-IDSE, we are looking for someone who will take my place, teaching English. I'm leaving in September, so after the holiday break.
My company has also no problem allowing breaks for holidays as employees will leave at the same periods, so no need to teach for these periods.
What do you think about that?

If you are interested, i would be glad to hear more about you.

Caroline BROHARD
Human Resources Trainee

Caroline, do your requirements need a person with a degree or just teaching experience?

Both! hihi

But my company want also me to check the English level with a TOEIC test. A minimum or 850/990 is required.
We do not use the other certifications to check the level, I'm sorry.

A person who has never taught before can do fine, but this person must be very patient.

The persons we want to train in English are really motivated and for the most part, they have a beginning level in English.
The company is developing abroad and it is now quite difficult to carry on without the English skills.

Could you be interested?

Caroline BROHARD

BK-IDSE wrote:

Both! hihi

But my company want also me to check the English level with a TOEIC test. A minimum or 850/990 is required.
We do not use the other certifications to check the level, I'm sorry.

A person who has never taught before can do fine, but this person must be very patient.

The persons we want to train in English are really motivated and for the most part, they have a beginning level in English.
The company is developing abroad and it is now quite difficult to carry on without the English skills.

Could you be interested?

Caroline BROHARD

TOEIC scores for native speakers?  That's highly unusual, to say the least.

You cannot imagine the grammar problems that native speakers. It is well-known that foreigners know your own language better once they have a good teacher and follow books.

BK-IDSE wrote:

You cannot imagine the grammar problems that native speakers. It is well-known that foreigners know your own language better once they have a good teacher and follow books.

You should be looking at the teachers CELTA/TESOL grade.  Unless you're paying a phenomenal wage ($30 or above p/h) you will have serious trouble finding someone.  I don't know a single native teacher that has taken the TOEIC and I imagine that getting one to take the test would require serious money.

Fine! Thank you for your advice.
I will look closer to the CELTA/TESOL grade.

BK-IDSE wrote:

Fine! Thank you for your advice.
I will look closer to the CELTA/TESOL grade.

I know you've spoken with a CELTA graduate already.  She's a VERY good teacher! 

Good luck.

Hello BK-IDSE!

I think that it would have been better if you post an advert in the HCMC classifieds > Jobs section.

Thank you,
Harmonie.