Anyone here retired/moved to Panama from the UK?

Was thinking of doing this after covid has settled down. Have looked at just about every affordable country and so far Panama seems to tick most of the boxes considering my age, I have a dog and enjoy fishing and nature. Also it's cheap and the climate is attractive without the monsoon season that some tropical areas have. Also it appears quite Americanised and relatively safe and stable. 
I guess it would be a good idea to get the retirement visa via a expert rather than do it DIY, ditto the dog transport. I'd rather be safer than sorry.
Any tips for a newbie folks?

Are you talking about residency? A lawyer is required for that.
It sounds like a visit is in order to see how you like it here.

The retirement visa, and yes I would get a lawyer to organise that. I'm in a situation where I can't afford and don't want to stay in the UK. It would have to be pretty terrible for me to want to return. How do you like it? What are pros and cons if you have the time. Many thanks.

We used Marcos Kraemer for our residency, a very good lawyer. kraemerlaw.com
We love Panama! We've been here 8 years, and have no intention of returning to the US. I have a blog.... https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/ 
Panama City is a huge city, different from the rest of the country (the interior, where we are).  I've never been to UK so I don't know what you will find different. Life is more laid back, people are super nice, country is beautiful, but there is no quick mail service as we know it, and learning the language took a fair amount of work. I could go on and on but I think it's something you have to experience for yourself to know how you feel.

Thanks Kris your insight is very useful. I have noted your lawyer and will visit your blog. Glad you guys  like it. Not sure it's ideal for me yet. How's the covid situation looking out there with regards to entry from overseas?

My dog is a GSD and I just wondered if big, guard dog types were accepted?

I'm also currently investigating Peru, Ecuador and Indonesia so am a bit confused! S. America is my favourite option at the moment tbh. Love the landscape and fancy hiking in the Andes with Sheba.

The airport is open, but you must have a negative COVID test within 48 hours to enter. If you don't, they will test you at the airport. Panama has been doing better than many places but right now they are struggling with increasing cases, so they are increasing curfews and restrictions and hoping to get things under control again. They have bought enough vaccine to cover the population but we only know it's coming in the first quarter of 2021.

GSD dog? Panama City is mostly apartments and high rises and I don't know about the dog policies there. Elsewhere, there are dogs everywhere, of all sizes and kinds. Larger dogs are treated more like livestock charged with guarding the property, and little dogs like chihuahuas are popular for house dogs.

I don't have any experience with the other countries you are considering so I can't compare. You might be interested in looking up Bob Adams on YouTube. He talks quite a bit about real estate, business, and finances in Panama as well as life in general.

Cheers mate, your posts are very helpful. I think if I did choose Panama it would be out in the country rather than apartment. However I'm still weighing up pros and cons for several countries. Yeah GSD not ideal in high rise but great in a front garden or rear yard.
What sort of prices for long term rental away from the city?

Hello there, I'm from Panama, but I've lived in the Uk for about 12 years, planning to go back next year and hopefully stay there.  I do love a lot of things here, but I know I could live "a better life" in Panama because even if the weather isn't perfect (very hot and humid most of the time) it gives you more opportunity to spend more time outdoors.  and it is certainly more affordable if you do want to live a simple live.
I do have a pretty good knowledge of living in both countries so instead of me telling you for instance: A con of living in Panama is that there isn't a "Pub culture" (because maybe you don't care about that) It is better if you could express what do you expect from the country or specif things you want to know about Panama.

Cheers

What's a GSD? a type of large dog?
Rent vary. Places full of expats are more expensive. More rural areas are cheaper. You can probably get a simple but comfortable Panamanian house for $250-600 in many areas of the interior, but you can also pay $1000+. Without more specifics about what you need and where you plan to live, it's hard to say for sure.

GianMer wrote:

Hello there, I'm from Panama, but I've lived in the Uk for about 12 years, planning to go back next year and hopefully stay there.  I do love a lot of things here, but I know I could live "a better life" in Panama because even if the weather isn't perfect (very hot and humid most of the time) it gives you more opportunity to spend more time outdoors.  and it is certainly more affordable if you do want to live a simple live.
I do have a pretty good knowledge of living in both countries so instead of me telling you for instance: A con of living in Panama is that there isn't a "Pub culture" (because maybe you don't care about that) It is better if you could express what do you expect from the country or specif things you want to know about Panama.

Cheers

Hi and thanks for your reply. Sorry my reply is so late. Perhaps most important to me is cost of property rental and how easy it is to get one that allows a dog. As for location I'm not really a city dweller though suburbs/outskirts would be cool. Also towns out in the country or along the coast, not really isolated farmhouses though as I live alone.
My plans are:
1. start learning Spanish
2. when it's at a reasonable level, and covid willing, to start the process via a Panama lawyer.
3. At same time prepare dog
4. Fly out and find temporary accommodation
5. Find long term rental of my dreams

My aims are a peaceful relaxation on a lower budget than I need in the UK, hence improve my standard of living. I'm not going for the "pub culture", had enough of that, rather to see the beautiful landscapes, do some fishing and hiking, and meet new people. So perhaps the cost of renting is the most specific thing. I guess to relax and unwind in a country with a nicer climate. As I get older I like cold, wind and rain less every day!
Any specific areas you'd recommend?
Thanks.

kristc99 wrote:

What's a GSD? a type of large dog?
Rent vary. Places full of expats are more expensive. More rural areas are cheaper. You can probably get a simple but comfortable Panamanian house for $250-600 in many areas of the interior, but you can also pay $1000+. Without more specifics about what you need and where you plan to live, it's hard to say for sure.

German Shepherd or Alsation. I like the sound of the $250 to 600 rentals, I'll have around $1700 pcm as as my income. Haven't got specific areas yet, still researching that. But not in PC.

In my totally biased opinion (because I love it here) I think you should check out Chiriqui Province. It's SO beautiful! There are mountains and beaches, and you can go from one to the other in at a hour or two drive. Boquete is an expat town and more expensive but has tons of activities if you want to participate. David is a good size city with shopping, health care, an airport, and whatever else you need. Between the two are smaller towns, and you can choose the elevation and temperature that suits you best. Volcan is another place worth a look. Most of the produce for the country is grown in Chiriqui and the people are super nice.
$1700/mo? You'll be just fine! Check out the cost of living section in my blog.
Learning Spanish? I have a great teacher - http://yairatutoria.com/
German Shepherds are wonderful dogs! There are many other good dogs here also who needs homes, so you won't lack for 4 legged companionship.

Wow friend your posts are so inspiring! Chiriqui province sounds perfect - mountains for the hiking and beaches for the fishing. Small cities and large towns are really what I'm looking for tbh. All the mod cons and supplies nearby.
I'll check out your links of course, muchas gracias amigo. One of the main reasons I like Panama is the dollars and the large American expat community. Feel right at home with you guys.
I've just looked at your Spanish teacher and she is certainly easy on the eye! I might find it difficult to concentrate...

Kris I love reading your blog, it's written in a style that is very informing and really  easy to read. At the moment the virus is sounding a bit scary everywhere. Here in the UK there's talk of a new strain coming down the track, how bad it'll be nobody knows, hopefully it'll be a milder strain that is less virulent.
I need to see the back of this before before I even contemplate a life changing move like this. I'd rather stay in good old blighty when there's an emergency situation going on, I feel more secure and vaccine immunisation has already begun here on a triage basis. Hopefully by the summer/autumn my age group will be done too. But at least it'll give me the chance to try and learn Spanish first.

Hopefully later this year the pandemic will resolve and things will change for the better.
Thanks, glad you have found the blog helpful.
Stop eyeing the Spanish teacher. ha! She's married with a child. But, if you like beautiful women you'll love it here. Women are gorgeous, and really sweet too.

Sounds my kinda place - not that any of them will be interested in an old codger past his sell-by date!
How easy is to get a car and license?

Oh I don't know... they think white guys are very attractive, and age isn't the thing we think it is. Older people are highly valued and respected. I'm 68, chubby, with silver in my hair and I get propositioned by handsome Panamanian men. Talk about making an old gal feel good!
It's very easy to get a car. You have to be a resident to get a Panamanian license, but you can drive in your foreign license for 90 days. Like everything, a Panamanian license is a process, just tedious, not difficult.

Sounds like a great place to retire to where you can make your money go further. What's not to like about that?
I've made an  initial enquiry  to Kraemers' lawyers  just to make contact. First I think I'll do a home study Spanish course here just to get beyond basic level, then I can do a proper course in Panama - probably cheaper that way, 10 quid an hour over here for a one-to-one course, bet it's cheaper than that in country?

Have you ever tried one of those linguistic devices that translates? Like a little digital recorder that changes from Spanish to English and vice-versa.

Hey good morning, or good afternoon on your side of the pond.
I have google translate running all the time and use it constantly on my computer and on my iPhone. It translates both ways, says things out loud, and you can point it at text and it will translate it. Very handy thing! When I arrived though, I carried my paper dictionary with me everywhere for quite a few years, and had fun looking through it with people to find the words we needed to communicate about something.

I've seen the news about your mutated virus. Sheesh. Good luck, and take good care of yourself!

Will do. Can see that happening in a lot of places tbh. Hopefully we'll get rid of it early! Not the best time to be planning relocation, but hopefully this will all eventually come to an end one day.

Any luck DeleBelly?  Covid and the UK restrictions have made it very hard to relocate.

Has anybody from the UK ever got their Visa and moved over there?

@Kristc99 which is your blog. Would love to read it. I want to go to Panama from South Africa but my teenagers do not want to go. They want to go back to Australia, but when e finishes school wants to study in the USA. So it does not make sense to go to Australia for  a year.
I speak fluent Spanish as I am originally from Argentina, my children understand it and speak it as a second language. SO it will make so much sense to go to Panama.

https://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/

amgmmg3 wrote:

@Kristc99 which is your blog. Would love to read it. I want to go to Panama from South Africa but my teenagers do not want to go. They want to go back to Australia, but when e finishes school wants to study in the USA. So it does not make sense to go to Australia for  a year.
I speak fluent Spanish as I am originally from Argentina, my children understand it and speak it as a second language. SO it will make so much sense to go to Panama.