Safety in Cap Hatien

I'm traveling around Dominican Republic by bicycle right now and vaguely considering entering Haiti at Dajabon and going to the Citadelle and possibly Cap Hatien and returning to Dominican Republic again.

Haiti had a very bad reputation for random crime. But, some say it's mostly in the capital.

Question for those of you who live in Haiti, particularly up north:  safe or not safe in the north?  I have considerable experience riding internationally, but Haiti seems more dangerous than most other places. Thank you.

@RobertH66 Hey Robert,

Im in Cap as we speak and walk the streets ALONE and at night too. I feel very very safe here. Safer than in my own town Copenhagen. Of course I could be naive, but I know Cap well and have come here for years. Some years have felt iffy, but I feel the town is safer. owntha. ever. Paradoxically.

Crime in Port-au-Prince (PAP) is crazy crazy off the charts crazy and its simply too dangerous to go there - for you.

But there are ONLY two main roads connecting North Haiti to PAP - -and they are exaxtly closed because if the gangs, thus creating two distinct countries in one. Three actually.

The South. Peaceful and quiet.

PAP. Mayhem

Cap. Busy optimism and paradise beaches.

And ps: I just did the entire trip from Cabarete via Puerto Plata, via Monte Christi via Dajabon to here last week. Irs very nice.

Don't stop on in Quanaminthw, the Haitien part of border. Its okay, but you will probably be swarmed by frontier hustlers.

You can whatsapp me when you come. ***

Asger

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@RobertH66 Cap Haitien seems to be safer, in reality, it is not. I would proceed with caution. Haiti is Haiti, no matter where you are. I am from Haiti. I have no reason to bash my own home land. Proceed with caution because no one is running the country. It is not about South, North, or Port Au Prince. The entire place is not being governed by anyone. You are just lucky to find it safe in any part of Haiti.