Import Tax

Can anyone instruct me on the Braxil import tax for shipping an Ipad from US to Brazil valued at 1,300 dollars?

Last I heard it is 60% on electronics.

Brazil is the home of tax-on-tax.

Yes, the ad valorem (declared) import duty (II, "Imposto de Importação") on electronics is 60% - on the combined value of the item plus incoming freight.
They will then add ICMS, the VAT payable to the state where you live.  For most states, that's 18%; a few, including São Paulo, I believe, are a little higher.  THAT tax is assessed on the total of purchase price, freight, and import duty.
There may also be other charges, depending on the port of entry. 
Last month, I had Amazon ship me a CD changer from the US, because I couldn't find one here.  The breakdown of the charges was:

Taxable value:  R$1857,44
Import tax (II)   R$ 1114,46
VAT (ICMS)        R$   652,37

Total.                 R$ 3624,27

So, assume an effective tax rate of 100%, and you'll be close to the final number.  Amazon assumes about 110% and charges it upfront on shipments to Brazil, then refunds any overpayment.

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It hurts just reading this.
Sharky you have a complete calculation from ab3

Texanbrazil wrote:

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It hurts just reading this.
Sharky you have a complete calculation from ab3

It was a definite experience in pain!  It pays to buy Brazilian whenever you can, at least between trips to the US or Paraguay.   :cool:

Thank you all the ipad is a gift for my wife which the brazil taxes will equal the buying price, it is what it is.

Sharky114 wrote:

Thank you all the ipad is a gift for my wife which the brazil taxes will equal the buying price, it is what it is.

Yep - sometimes that's still the right decision.  Now, at least, you know what to expect. 🎅