Applying for Mauritius passport from overseas

Hi,

I am a Mauritian citizen by descent and have a national ID card (NIC), but I never applied for a Mauritian passport.

Is it possible to do that from overseas? (I currently live in the USA). I found the official application form but it was unclear where you are supposed to submit it (and it also asks for original documentation).

As a rider to this, I have my NIC but not certificate of citizenship. I assume the NIC alone is enough, has anyone had experience of applying like that?

Since you are a citizen by descent , the following does NOT apply:

Certificate of Mauritian Citizenship in case applicant acquired nationality through Registration / Naturalization / Adoption (if applicable).

You will need to send your application to  the Mauritian  Embassy In Washington DC . Since it will be your first application, make sure that you use the right form ( 4 pages long )
http://passport.govmu.org/English/Docum … table).pdf

Thank you so much! That's so helpful, can I ask where you found that?

FWIW: You DID NOT acquire the nationality  though Registration /Naturalisation or Adoption  - thus showing the Certificate of Mauritian Citizenship does not apply in your car.

However , since you are Mauritian by descent, you need to provide your NIC as well as the FOREIGN citizenship certificate or Resident permit  of your parent.  It is written on the passport application form.

You  need to do it through your embassy however actually with covid - they will find all kind of excuses and it will take time.  In the past it used to take 3 months - however if you can send all your documents through DHL or UPS  to a member of your family in Mauritius and give a proxy to that person to act on your behalf.  You will need to fill the on line document - send your photo - you current passport - and your act of birth plus the sum of 700 rupees.In Mauritius this can be done in a week.  The only problem is the cost of postage round way. Good luck  ;)

Hi

I have a Mauritian passport that I've sent for renewal at the Uk Mauritian high Commission and I haven't got it back yet as the processing time is 2 months. However, I need to urgently travel to go and visit someone who is sick. Is there any way that I can get the passport back renewed quickly?

Thanks
Hello sidicknoor,

Have you tried speaking to officials at the Mauritian High Comm? They are the ones who will be aware of the renewal status.

Cheers

Djameel
Expat.com Team