Socializing in Lisbon for a single early retiree

Hi fellow ex-pats,

In two years I am planning to retire in either Lisbon or Valencia, and I'm curious about expat experiences as a single, very young-at-heart retiree. I am extremely social, and I have no problem meeting people and making friends in the US - I frequently strike up conversations with strangers at bars, restaurants and cafes, but I am wondering how easy it is to develop a network of friends in Lisbon by comparison, or even Valencia. Also, what is the dating culture like - I am a hopeless romantic, and envision falling in love after a recent divorce with both my new home and a new person.

Regards,

David

Hi David!!
People in Portugal are very friendly and social. It's very easy to fall in love with places, people and nature also!
Portugal is a very beautiful country with several options for those who want to live in the countryside, on the beach or in the combination of the two!
Regarding the food, it's fantastic! ***
Even in the current situation of Covid-19 that we are experiencing, Portugal remains a very safe country.
*** : D

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not promote your services freely. Kindly register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you Nokas! I have searched the world for my next home - Panama, Croatia, Greece, etc.. Narrowed it down to Valencia or Lisbon. I am so excited to visit. I saw some blogs about single expats being lonely, but I am so social, gregarious and outgoing that I can't imagine having that problem. I only wish it was less than 2 years away

Hi AZExpat1965,

Welcome to this forum.

Since you have interests like food, culture, travel, tennis, wine, beaches, fitness, surfing, cafes and restaurants, I think you've come to the right place. Lisbon has it all :)
I am afraid to disappoint you but, in the Mediterranean, surfing is nothing to do with the Atlantic...

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 30#4966995