What's the importance of culture in London?

Hello everyone,

I hope you're well.

London is known as being one of the world's most culturally-rich cities, with a lot of activities and places of interest.

How far is this true? Is there room for cultural development?

Are you happy with what's on the offer?

Which are the most popular cultural events and activities in your city?

We will be using your testimonies for an Expat Mag article.

Thanking you in advance for your precious contribution.

Warm regards,
Veedushi
Expat.com Editorial Team

Hi again and thank you for a question that has been burning in my mind for quite a while now.

I no longer live in London, but I was born and then raised there; I speak like a Londoner and have the values my Cockney grandparents instilled in me when I was young.  Now the hard part, in fact, no, I started writing and it went off on a very negative rant, so I've stopped and deleted it.

I can summarise it; I would not recommend the city where I was born and raised to anybody, it's a pit in comparison to how it was.  The people that live there now have ruined it beyond recognition.

London is a great city but it has changed a lot over the years and in my opinion less attractive than it used to be. There are museums and art galleries and great shopping, music venues and great places to eat like in any other city. Some of the places I like to visit are Portobello Road, Camden Lock for it''s food and shopping, Denmark Street for it's guitar shops. However, I am most familiar with Kingston upon Thames, Richmond, Kew and Richmond as a place to live.

So sure, lots to see culturally in London. As a place to live, I would not ever want to live there again. As a place to visit for a few days holiday then yes I'd recommend it.