Visum and Accommodation in Indonesia

Hello Dear People,
I am a 31 years old and live in Sweden. At the moment I am taking studies in Hotel and Hospitality Industry and I am looking for an internship in Indonesia in sectors of marketing and business, customer service, restaurant and hotel. I am well aware about that the bransch is very much affected of the on going situation, but if there is anyone who have some suggestions I would be greatful.
About accommodation, I prefer to stay in a host family or at some cheap place if possible and If someone have suggestions for me I would appreciate.
I have already been in Indonesia before and I have a good knowledge about the country and the culture, so that is not a problem for me. Then I have a question about Visum, I already been in contact with the embassady and so far I know there are two kind visum that I can apply for, it is called Telex-Visa and e-visa, but then I also read on the embassady site that If I want to stay in Indonesia for more than a few months I need to have an amount of US 10,000, is this true? To me it sounds a bit strange because when I  was in Indonesia 2015, I was not required to have some amount of money in my bank , maybe they have change this rule? At that time I was in Indonesia 2015 I joined a volunteer program, maybe it is different if I am doing voluntering or If am working ?

Looking forward to hear from you
Cheers,
Johan Segerstedt

Hi Johan,

Firstly, as to the current Covid pandemic , you should know that so many hotels are struggling and have let many staff go and the staff they do keep on are often being forced to take huge salary cuts, I've heard 75% pay cuts for some major hotels. Their priority is nearly always to re-employ their previous staff rather than recruit new ones. So as far as an internship goes, I believe it really isn't the time to be looking. Also, the company that employs you should arrange all your documentation as far as working and staying in Indonesia is concerned and I am sure they have far more important concerns at this moment than taking on foreign interns.

Many hotels here in Indonesia are reaching less than 50% occupancy at best, with even more a lot lower, perhaps only 10% to 20% occupancy based on local tourists from within Indonesia. The current ban on foreigners tourists coming to Indonesia was extended from September 2020 to the end of this year, but many believe it many well be extended further to April 2021 and possibly even longer depending on how the pandemic situation plays out. There is a trial vaccination here and I've heard that the results have not been very positive. Even now, the Australian government is talking about not allowing Australians to visit Indonesia within 2021 which would just continue the devastating effect of the Coronavirus and the tourist industry as a whole on places such as Bali. I know chefs and even a Manager of food and beverage of major five star hotels who have been laid off and are waiting the situation to improve.

As for accommodation, at this moment cheap accommodation would be very easy to find as so many staff from hotels, restaurants and stores who commonly rent such places have lost their jobs and returned to live with their families in their home towns. These usually rent on a monthly basis with a bed or mattress provided and sometimes internet too.

Hello @Shill88   :) 

Thank you so much for your answer. I am well aware about that many hotels are closed for now, of course, they are living for tourism and visitors and now this bransch really fall down, unfortunately.
Good to hear that accommdation is easy to find, I know in Indonesia usually it doesnt use to be a big problem but the thing is, I am about to join an internship in Bali and the cost was quiet high for accomodation, as 10,000 US so I would like to find some accommodation that not is related to the internship program, but maybe that is hard? I am not only looking for internship in the hospitality industry, basically, any internship or work that offers, I am willing to take it. 
Cheers ;-) !
Johan

joh.seg wrote:

Hello Dear People,
I am a 31 years old and live in Sweden. At the moment I am taking studies in Hotel and Hospitality Industry and I am looking for an internship in Indonesia in sectors of marketing and business, customer service, restaurant and hotel. I am well aware about that the bransch is very much affected of the on going situation, but if there is anyone who have some suggestions I would be greatful.
About accommodation, I prefer to stay in a host family or at some cheap place if possible and If someone have suggestions for me I would appreciate.
I have already been in Indonesia before and I have a good knowledge about the country and the culture, so that is not a problem for me. Then I have a question about Visum, I already been in contact with the embassady and so far I know there are two kind visum that I can apply for, it is called Telex-Visa and e-visa, but then I also read on the embassady site that If I want to stay in Indonesia for more than a few months I need to have an amount of US 10,000, is this true? To me it sounds a bit strange because when I  was in Indonesia 2015, I was not required to have some amount of money in my bank , maybe they have change this rule? At that time I was in Indonesia 2015 I joined a volunteer program, maybe it is different if I am doing voluntering or If am working ?

Looking forward to hear from you
Cheers,
Johan Segerstedt

Hi Joahn,
about visa to enter in Indonesia, these are tha visa allowed:
Foreign visitors who hold the following immigration documents will be permitted to enter Indonesia:

Service visas;
    Diplomatic visas;
    Visit visas, which will be issued for one trip, undertaken for the following purposes;
        Attending business meetings;
        Conducting a purchase of goods;
        Conducting emergency or urgent work;
        Performing probationary work by a foreign worker;
        Staff members of medical or food-related organizations; and
        A transportation crew member joining a vessel in Indonesia.
    Limited stay visas (VITAS);
    Service stay permits;
    Diplomatic stay permits;
    Temporary stay permits (ITAS); and
    Permanent stay permits (ITAP)
The one u can require is tha visit visa, u can apply to the indonesian ambassy in ur country, these are the requirements:

A certificate stating that the applicant is free of COVID-19, issued by the health authority of their respective country no more than 72 hours before arrival;
    An English-written statement that the visitor is willing to be placed in quarantine/undergo treatment at their own expense if the results of the PCR test conducted upon arrival is positive for COVID-19;
    A written statement that the visitor is willing to be medically monitored if they are obligated to self-quarantine per the relevant health protocols;
    The foreign visitor must show evidence that they have sufficient health insurance to cover possible healthcare expenses or show evidence they have the necessary funding to do so; and
avalaibility    The sponsor or foreign visitor has access to at least US$10,000 to cover the visitor's living costs in Indonesia.
As u can see, the avalaibility by the visitor or his sponsor of a minimum amount of 10.000 US dollar is required.
About internship, I agree with Shill88, its not really the right time for that, but u can check online some big company, maybe u are lucky.