How to deal with winter

How do expats from sunny country manage lack of sunlight? do you have any suggestions?, I just got here, and I've been having a hard time with the weather.

Fritania

I am also interested in the subject. I find it difficult to get used to the weather in Finland when visiting.
Does anyone have some useful tips?

I still find it difficult after over three years of living here! I like the cold, but it can be hard to endure the darkness. The thing that works best for me is to make sure I do some sort of activity outside every day, no matter how bad the weather is. Of course, this can be hard if you're confined to an office during the few hours of daylight, but at least there are the weekends! Taking up winter sports like cross country skiing and ice skating has been a help, and since I have a dog, I always try to walk him earlier in the day to catch that little bit of sun!

I read an article in Helsingin sanomat a while back that said, here in Finland, we only get enough vitamin D from the sun to last us through November. From Nov-March there's simply not enough sunlight to provide any vitamin D benefit, so it's wise to take a supplement or pay extra attention to your diet in these months.

At least all that summer sunshine makes up for the winter...which reminds me that I need to get some proper curtains up!

Many finns have holiday somewhere in sunshine. Wintersports help and you can always get a bright lamp. Just make sure it is bright enough and meant for light therapy. Every home appliance store should have those during the winter season.

how come many finns can have choices like going abroad to get sunshine treatment?even so,it could be really short time.i don't think the bright lamp can help much.if so,there needs to be so many,many lamps that installed in your house to make it bright.more importantly.you need to enjoy the night color. find something to delight yourself.someone to express and share this with.

yes.it is really hard to endure the darkness.i feel it so strongly.that's why most of the finns drink hard?? could be a reason and hard to give up??

Im from Australia and I have been here for 3 years and I think this winter has hit me hard.... What is worse that the room I work in in kinda like a basement room so we only have a few windows that show the gravel outside LOL... but somehow I have managed, I dont know how to be honest (or perhaps it was due to my month holiday for christmas back home to Australia that helped..

I would say try to take a holiday to Spain or somewhere warmer just to give yourself some sunshine or do what the FInns do and buy those lights that you stare into....