Advantage / disadvantage between a 13A and a Balikbayan visa

Just wondering what is the advantage / disadvantage   between a 13A and a Balikbayan visa (on arrival in PHP with wife)?

Pro's  & Con's etc
*  Cost?
*  Benefits?
*  Administration?
*  Etc?

Would be most appreciative of any input.

Just to let you know i and my wife will for the next 20 plus years leave the Philippines at least once a year.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

To me, if I had a Filipina wife, I would go with the balakbayan for the first year.  It is easy to get if you have the wife and the marriage certificate.  Within that first year I would then think it over, do I want to stay, then I would balance the idea of leaving the country every year to get another balakbayan or spend the money for the 13a.
I would also consider the SRRV.  Depending on which SRRV category is used, it could be the least expensive or the most expensive.

pej1111 wrote:

Just wondering what is the advantage / disadvantage   between a 13A and a Balikbayan visa (on arrival in PHP with wife)?

Pro's  & Con's etc
*  Cost?
*  Benefits?
*  Administration?
*  Etc?

Would be most appreciative of any input.

Just to let you know i and my wife will for the next 20 plus years leave the Philippines at least once a year.

13a can be applied for from your home country through the Philippine consulate, In doing so you by-pass the 1 year probationary requirement when filed for in the RP.  In the RP you will essentially be applying twice, 1st year is probationary, the 2nd year you re-apply and hopefully are granted the permanent visa.
ACR-I card is renewed once every five years and the 13a is permanent with a yearly reporting requirement which is simply a confirmation of data at the BI office and you are out and good for another year.
I cannot speak accurately to the costs involved, though this seems to be the most popular visa for expats married to a Philippine citizen (residing in the RP). 
Legally your 13a status is forfeit if your wife and you no longer continue living as husband and wife or if she is deceased.  At that time you would be downgraded to a 9a tourist visa.  Some claim they simply do not report the separation or death to continue using the 13a status.  That roll of the dice is up to you.

SRRV as another already stated has varying costs depending on your age and income.  My SRRV is an SRRV expanded courtesy visa which has the lowest overall cost for SRRV's.
In my case it was acquired using my military honorable discharge papers (DD214 from the states).
All SRRV's have a $1400 one time processing fee and mine also required a $1500 deposit.  My yearly renewal fee is $10, payable 3 years in advance.  Other versions have a considerably higher yearly renewal fee, $360 per year comes to mind.
The SRRV does not require marriage to a Philippine citizen.
The PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) website has all the details. 

Balikbayan.  I used the Balikbayan privilege (some call it a visa) for years when I first arrived in the RP. It is a no cost no trips to the BI stamp that you receive in your passport when you enter the Philippines with your wife (she has to be with you).  You both go together to the Immigration officer when you arrive at the airport and present your marriage certificate to the officer who will confirm ( in our case) your marriage and compare your passports.
It is good for one year, at which time you will have to leave the country for a day or so and return to once again receive another Balikbayan stamp in your passport.  (Make sure it's dated).
This practice is common and does not follow the rules for Balikbayans as is laid out legally by the BI, though I and many others simply left and returned year after year without issue.

With 13A you can work in the PH without a work permit. Balikbayan you are like a tourist so you can't work

Many thank guy's appreciate the assistance.

AaronAardvark wrote:

To me, if I had a Filipina wife, I would go with the balakbayan for the first year.  It is easy to get if you have the wife and the marriage certificate.  Within that first year I would then think it over, do I want to stay, then I would balance the idea of leaving the country every year to get another balakbayan or spend the money for the 13a.
I would also consider the SRRV.  Depending on which SRRV category is used, it could be the least expensive or the most expensive.

not EVERY YEAR, i get the free year then extend 2 years then do another balikbayan...leave every three years, i like it because i want to get away after 3 years of this place for change of scenery anyway.

I stand corrected.

X military not retired just served, cost about $3000. Than$10 a year $1500 deposit in bank account $1400 fee for visa

I'm not sure about the ability to work without a work permit as geolefrench stated, but a 13a visa and ACR-I card do make it easier to get a drivers license, bank account, etc.

If you ae starting the process - only spouses of Filipinos can get a 9A visa.  This is valid for a year, but you can only stay for a maximum of 59 days after which you have to leave the country or apply for an extension.

One advantage of the 13A you can enter the country about the same as a Filipino,, retirement visa holders were not allowed back in the country a few months ago, I don't know their status now, if your going to leave every year a BB stamp is the way to go, on the 13A it cost about 2800 to leave the country and keep your 13A good for one year

Okieboy wrote:

One advantage of the 13A you can enter the country about the same as a Filipino,, retirement visa holders were not allowed back in the country a few months ago, I don't know their status now, if your going to leave every year a BB stamp is the way to go, on the 13A it cost about 2800 to leave the country and keep your 13A good for one year

SRRV holders can now re-enter the country with no additional requirements above those required for COVID.

Balikbayan privilege advantages:

- No yearly reporting requirement

- Lower exit fees at the airport

- No exit clearance required

- If you stay longer than 183 days in the Philippines you'll be considered a NRAETB (non-resident alien engaged in trade or business) by the BIR and your estate only taxed (upon death) on Filipino assets. A 13A holder will be considered a "resident alien" and taxed on his worldwide estate

Disadvantages

- Not allowed to work or start a business

- Need to travel abroad at least once a year

- Need to travel together with your spouse to obtain the stamp