Access to Cambodia?

Hi All, hope your doing well.  Just read some info about potential access for tourists into Cambodia by paying $3,000 deposit, 14 day quarantine, etc.  Was just wondering if anyone had gone this route to get into the country, or knows the details of someone who did?

Wanted to get some feedback on how it went, was it worth it, how was the accommodation as it relates to quarantine, etc.  The information I have been reading is really vague as to the real costs, accommodations, etc.

Just briefly, I recently retired and had planned to travel thru SE Asia for the next couple of years.  Hav3 been to Thailand and Vietnam several times over the last 5 years, and had planned to make the Philippines my travel hub to see the countries.

But obviously that got cancelled in March (such is life) so just trying to make the best out of a very unique, and world problem.  Not rich but can afford to make it work if it's not too extreme from a cost or accommodation perspective.  Not willing to go stay in the equivalent of a concentration camp for quarantine, but also know some sacrifices will need to be made.

Any on the ground input would be great and appreciated, or if you have other recommendations it would be greatly appreciated. 

P.s., from the US so our options are limited to some degree. 

Thanks in advance all, and stay safe...

Bobby

I could be short and say NO tourists are allowed to enter Cambodia!

But that would be a bit mean and would not answer your questions.

Only people that have a job or business are allowed in. They need a letter of their employer so they can hand it over to the nearest Cambodian embassy/consulate in order to apply for a E type Ordinary visa.
No visa on arrival anymore. The Ordinary visa is valid for 30 days and can be extended once you are in country.

If you get the visa you need a covid test max. 72 hours prior to departure (or arrival according to some airlines), you need insurance that covers 50K of health costs and you need a deposit of $2000 (not $3000).

The best way is to contact the Washington DC embassy, they are not only well informed but also quite lenient, there are stories of people being able to get a visa based on retirement so have it a go.

Good luck!

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hey Joe. Thanks for updating on entry. I'm still in Hanoi. Have been thinking of going to the Cambodian embassy here but I have until next February or so. Have you heard any rumors about so called travel bubbles between countries here to Cambodia? Vietnam will start limited international flights leaving and one destination is Phnom Penh. There is no way to get back in though. Sounds like the old Eagles song. Hahahaha. Anyways just thought I would check with the source. I'd like to get back early next year.

I have an offer of a 'job invitation' letter, and can get an entry visa from the UK embassy, but I think its best to wait it out for a while, Maybe conditions will ease up by November (which is when I have to leave the small Greek island where I am currently living, given the Shengen rules of max 90 days out of any 180). It just seems so complicated - pre flight Covid test, actually getting a flight, entry deposit, more tests after arrival, all the paperwork, not to mention the expense.....all I wanted to do is retire in Siem Reap, and now I am not sure if its worth all the hassle just to get there.

Yep. I see the small things like opening of limited flights to Cambodia and I'm hopeful to get back and get the retirement extension and be able to split my time betweeen Kampot, Siem Reap, and PP. I'd like to make it back to Hanoi and Quy Nhon though. Definitely have no interest in going back to the US.

I hope by November you can get back and get the retirement in Siem Reap.  I would not be that far behind you. January is when I'd really like to go. If they would offer ordinary visa on arrival and still require covid tests and limited health coverage for a month or so would you go? I've been dwelling on that for awhile.

Stay safe there.

The "bubble" is a good start but it only serves nationals,  family of nationals,  students and business people.

No other individuals are allowed to fly in,  whether Cambodia or Vietnam.

But it's a first step and could soon be followed by wider and easier regulations but be prepared that visa on forehand,  Covid test,  insurance and deposit will remain.  Getting tested on arrival and praying nobody on your flight will test positive remains reality.

Thanks Joe. I don't mind the steps remaining or being required if things ease up on getting there where the requirement is not a business letter or some specific consulate. Seeing things open or become more stable gradually seems the best route given the reality of the pandemic. I'd still like to buy you that 🍺. Are you in Kampot now?

In reality, the cost is not important. When you consider that a retiree may be around for 15 to 20 years (if the health holds out!) then paying a couple of grand or whatever it takes to enter the country is irrelevant. And if someone doesnt have that much to spare in the bank then they probably shouldnt be going in the first place. But I understand if its  people who are only interested in going for a visit or a few months, it makes it an expensive trip.

Yep. That's my feeling too. I want to get back, get a retirement extension there, live there for the long haul. Paying some money for health coverage, or costs of quarantine or whatever is worth it to be able to live and enjoy life there like I did before. I do want to come back to Vietnam when I can as well. Maybe you should take the opportunity to get the visa. You never know what tomorrow brings with things. I'm going to go to the Cambodian embassy here in October and ask. I have until February but if I heard something good this way comes from next door I would go before. My friend Mike lives in SR. I'd like to get there and visit him. Good luck with things!

Hey,

I'm currently in the states. I'm not sure who has stated the people at the embassy are lenient. They were pretty clear to me that there were no exceptions to the rules, so I'm not sure why some Americans are claiming they made it to Cambodia through retirement. However, the people working at the Cambodian embassy are extremely helpful and actually go out of their way to help you get a visa quickly based upon the law. I'm currently going through the visa process and can say that dealing with the Cambodia embassy is far better than dealing with an American embassy. I feel like they actually want you to come to their country, which is really refreshing.

Hey Miles - heres the deal - last one to SR buys the beer the first night! I hear Pub Street is pretty quiet these days, which is ok by me. The times I was there it was crowded with backpackers getting as boozed as possible, like Khao San Road in Bangkok. I remember last time I bumped into an English guy on the street and he threatened to 'snap my neck'. Luckily the Khmer lady I was with had a brother handy who was a tuk tuk driver and he got his mates around to make sure there was no trouble. But not a good scene all the same. So if thats all gone now I reckon the town is better for it.  Keep in touch and we can meet up, hopefully not too long.

Thanks Joe, great insight and helpful.

Bobby

Thanks for the feedback as well.  Do you mind sharing what Visa you are working on to get into the country?

Thanks again,

Bobby

I think the only visa now is the so called ordinary visa. This lets you get extensions of stay once in cambodia like the retirement extension. What I want!  This has to be granted at some Cambodian embassy and now requires the tests and stuff Joe discussed. Sounds like some embassies are better than others and some people have been given ordinary visas without work stuff.

This is just my take on reading the posts here and some previous posts on the forum.

The only visa that embassies will issue right now is the Business visa. You need either sponsorship from a company that shows you have a job, or a job offer letter. So for someone who only wants to retire, they have to enter a 'grey area' where they either know someone who has a company that will give them an invitation letter, or find an agent who will provide a job offer letter for a price. I am not recommending either course of action since they are not quite legit. But no more so I reckon than the 'onward ticket' scheme - if you want to travel on a one way ticket but the airline insists on a return ticket, you can book a ticket online, put it on hold, and cancel without payment as soon as you pass check-in. Its all a means to an end.

When I wrote the same thing, I was censored by the policeman JoeKhmer.

Fair enough.  You never know who else is watching this forum (conspiracy theory!).

BigTraveler wrote:

When I wrote the same thing, I was censored by the policeman JoeKhmer.

First I never censor anyone, only the management can do such a thing.

Second it is the policy of Expat.com to never advise or accept illegal activities. Anyone clearly advising such activities, sometimes even with links or contact details, will be censored and if it happens again that person will be banned.

And indeed you can be sure that some government officials are following the discussions on this forum, so any illegal advice would bring Expat.com in a bad light. Everyone should understand that!

Cheers

Joe

Agreed, Why is why I said I do not recommend such activities.

hdgh29 wrote:

I have an offer of a 'job invitation' letter, and can get an entry visa from the UK embassy, but I think its best to wait it out for a while, Maybe conditions will ease up by November (which is when I have to leave the small Greek island where I am currently living, given the Shengen rules of max 90 days out of any 180). It just seems so complicated - pre flight Covid test, actually getting a flight, entry deposit, more tests after arrival, all the paperwork, not to mention the expense.....all I wanted to do is retire in Siem Reap, and now I am not sure if its worth all the hassle just to get there.

I'm in the same situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to wait until an effective vaccine is widely available. Which could take a while...
But just like you, I wouldn't mind any one of these requirements ($$, quarantine, pre-flight COVID-19 test, paperwork,...) on its own, but taken together, it seems like a lot, maybe too much hassle.

Hi All, sorry about 5he long delay in getting back to you, but for some reason I do not get notified.  With that said I just want to say thank you for all the great feedback on this topic.  Crazy times for sure...stay safe...Bobby