Expatriation to Thailand: border updates

Hello everyone,

in Thailand as elsewhere, the current pandemic has changed our way of life but also our mobility, due to the state of borders of nearby countries or countries we wanted to visit.

Today we would like to take stock of the current border situation in Thailand and collect your testimonies, whether you are already an expat there or still preparing your move.

Is the country currently accessible to newcomers?

Have quarantine measures been put in place? If so, what are they?

What about leaving the territory as an expat resident? Will you be able to easily reach Thailand if you leave it temporarily?

How does the current borders state impact you, whether you are already an expatriate in Thailand or are planning to move there soon?

Do you have some visibility about the future of borders in your country of expatriation, in the longer or shorter term?

Thank you in advance for your contribution :)

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Thailand is closes for foreigners - with some exceptions (like married to a Thai national). But there is a lot going on. But the decision process and communication is in Thailand often quite chaotic. So you have to be patient. I expect a solution within the a month.

I hadn't heard that being married to a Thai would get you permission to come to Thailand at this point.  If you already had a marriage visa that's a different thing; then it's more likely, based on my understanding.

The latest tourism plans were more hopeful before they started filling in the details.  I still think with a few minor changes what they are proposing really will work, but given how the development process goes I'd expect the proposed plans to become less likely before they become more practical and refined.  There are some details of that here:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/19 … -inquiries

My yoga instructor went back to India for a visit, and it's unclear when or how he will ever make it back, even with a year-long valid visa and work permit.  A co-worker's daughter is both Thai and Canadian and she hasn't been able to come back, to her own country.  I think the last is a work in progress; the country helps with arrangements for Thais to return. 

If I left temporarily it would be hard to come back.  I'm not sure when a border will open or how it would go for someone trying to move here. 

All of this relates to an unusual cause; the virus effectively isn't here.  There have been two cases of local transmission in over 100 days, and two suspicious cases of people leaving Thailand and testing positive upon entry of another country.  One of those was from a border-resident family, in a place where the border is open to locals moving back and forth (that part is complicated; they simply can't seal the border to local people in all places, in all rural areas).  In general risk and exposure here is very close to none though, which is generally positive, it just relates to an extra concern in "reopening" the country.

However, non-Thai nationals who are qualified in one of the categories, according to the notification of the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand dated 2nd July 2020, are able to apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE) to enter the Kingdom of Thailand. Details as follow:

List of categories of Non-Thai nationals who are eligible to apply for a "Certificate of Entry"

1. Non-Thai nationals who hold diplomatic/Official/laissez-passer passport
        including their spouse, children and parents. (Please kindly contact us at [email protected])

2. Non-Thai nationals who are spouse, parents or children of Thai nationals (Click here for instruction.)

3. Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of residence or have permission to take up   
        residence permit in the Kingdom (sample of certificate of residence, please click here) (Click here for instruction.)

4. Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid work permit or are allowed to work in the Kingdom,   
        including their spouse and children (Click here for instruction.)

5. Non-Thai nationals who are students of educational institution, certified by Thai authorities,
        including the parents or guardians (Click here for instruction.)

6. Non-Thai nationals who are in urgent need of medical treatment in Thailand, including
        their caretakers (Click here for instruction.)

https://thaiembassy.ch/Content/Embassy/163.html

From that list my yoga instructor should be able to make it back (the #4 condition). 

I asked that colleague and his daughter had made it back, it just took a good number of weeks to get the flight arranged, and then of course 2 weeks for quarantine.  I was surprised to learn that they charge Thais nothing at all for that quarantine hotel stay; nice of the government to pick that up.

I arrived in Thailand a short while before the lockdown started but a friend of mine who was also  in South Africa  did not make it back and it took her to the middle of August to return and then 14 days quarantine in a Hotel.
The plane ticket cost her sixty thousand Baht where it usually was 15 thousand Baht the total with the hotel which was 1500 USD was 3500 USD. She had to return as she is teaching here and studying at University.
At this stage I think most people are staying put as I have no intention of flying international untill matters return to normal.
I enjoy Thailand and my life here so it is no problem for me and I skype my family
I do not beleive this will be before at the earliest July 2021 if there is a vaccine.

This American expat's 'tale' certainly may not be unique, however how it is still not finished leaves much anticipation.  Having arrived in Bangkok, Thailand on January 2, 2020, after an initial leg of a round trip Emirates flight, I then  traveled on the 5th by bus with my fiance to a remote sticky rice farming village in the traditional Isaan Region of the Kingdom. 

I lived with her and her exceptionally kind two young daughters and family, and truly fell in love with the simple and tranquil village life in this charming part of Siam.  My reservation to return to America had been set for June 10th, but when the Wuhan Virus caused the Pandemic I received notification from Emirates Airlines that the flight was cancelled; and a refund was authorized. 

The prospect of remaining where I was in Sakon Nakhon Province certainly was not a problem at all!  I was enthralled with the kind culture surrounding me; and I possessed a coveted Thai 'long stay' visa not to expire until 2021.  However, I was obligated to return to America to deal with very important personal obligations, which were necessary to accomplish to enable me to live in Thailand as an expat for the majority of the years still before me. 

Thus, a rare return flight was ascertained on Qatar Airlines, and I departed on July 1st.  Now comes the very tough part, as I so wish to return to my new beloved 'Thai family' before the end of 2020.  As an American traveling from the very safe Isaan Region and coming back to "germ central" was certainly very concerning. 

Here I am immersed in a land where the "ultra free culture" has led to enormous numbers of cases of the Wuhan Flu; and alleged deaths of 200,000+.   

Now that the Kingdom is entertaining new policies to permit foreigners to return, I am very worried about anticipated extra scrutiny (apparently justified) American expats may be subject to as I seek to return.  Thus this expat is carefully monitoring the news on this crucial topic, and I welcome logical changes and news updates on same.

I left Bangkok on 22nd May as I had a personal issue regarding my elderly father in Scotland that I couldn't ignore any longer . I knew when I got on the plane that night that it might be a few months before I got back but I didn't expect it to turn out the way it has .

I've lived and worked in Bangkok since May 2016 and I originally had a Work Visa and latterly a Non Immigrant B visa . Although to all intents and purposes my actual work is now finished in Thailand , I remained there with my girlfriend and continued to work overseas ( Mexico , Philippines , Australia etc ) and the Non Imm B visa was multi entry to allow me to come and go .

With the current restrictions in place , I cannot return to Thailand and I see no light at the end of the tunnel . The new STV is of no use to me as it requires the visitor to stay a minimum of 90 days and with my job requiring me to travel , I cannot commit to that time scale . My work would fire me if they requested me to travel to a job and I told then “ I'm sorry , can it wait another 65 days ?” !!!!

So , if and when I ever get back , I will get myself a retirement visa and see how I get on with that .

It's very difficult having a long distance relationship but I'm afraid there's no option unless we decide to pull the plug on it , and after 4 happy years together that seems such a shame .

Dear Willie: 

I am very sorry to learn of your plight.

I share similar dynamics, and I too believe that the acquisition of a Retirement Visa would be a positive move.  But, my understanding is that no matter how much one may receive in monthly pension(s), if there is not a certain large sum deposited in a bank the applicant cannot receive such visa.

I do hope you get this sorted out soon, for a positive relationship with a wonderful lady is one of life's most precious treasures indeed.

Cheers,

Robin

A German friend is engaged to a Thai woman he has been visiting in Thailand for a long time.  They were engaged last year on a trip to Paris, and he had expected to visit her for a long stay this year, which of course didn't happen.  Now it seems unlikely he will be able to return, until visa programs change.

It's nice that Thailand made allowances for those sets of people they did, but there must be others in different circumstances that make for special cases.  It's not clear from scanning that list that someone could visit Thailand related to owning a condo here, but then I'm not clear on "certificate of residence" details.  If it all can be sorted out by the middle of next year people who have different types of connections could make due with spending a year and a half out of the country, but it would also be nice if the new visa programs being implemented allowed range to take different factors into account.

Dear Juehoe:

I am so grateful for your very informative posted information.  Certainly during this very trying time we need shared facts like yours, devoid of speculation.

On your list of those eligible for entry back into the Kingdom at this time, I have a question as to the government's intention; to wit:

"3. Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of residence or have permission to take up   
        residence permit in the Kingdom..."

Specifically, I wish to ascertain if my Thai 'Retirement Visa' would be a an element which may make me qualify for the acquisition of a 'Residence Permit' in the Kingdom?

Thank you for any objective information which can help shed light on this issue as there certainly must be many Expats holding Retirement Visas who are abroad and desire to return to their families in the Kingdom.

Sincerely,

Robin

The «retirement visa» is not a valid visa for that category. Non-Thai with that kind of visa still cannot enter Thailand.

The residence permit is a special thing.

Samples.

Thai Permanent Residence Visa

Allo,

From the Thai embassy in Canada, I received the same 6 categories who are available for the go true.
But nothing for the domestic tourism, very  frustrated.

Regards

redoubt wrote:

This American expat's 'tale' certainly may not be unique, however how it is still not finished leaves much anticipation.  Having arrived in Bangkok, Thailand on January 2, 2020, after an initial leg of a round trip Emirates flight, I then  traveled on the 5th by bus with my fiance to a remote sticky rice farming village in the traditional Isaan Region of the Kingdom. 

I lived with her and her exceptionally kind two young daughters and family, and truly fell in love with the simple and tranquil village life in this charming part of Siam.  My reservation to return to America had been set for June 10th, but when the Wuhan Virus caused the Pandemic I received notification from Emirates Airlines that the flight was cancelled; and a refund was authorized. 

The prospect of remaining where I was in Sakon Nakhon Province certainly was not a problem at all!  I was enthralled with the kind culture surrounding me; and I possessed a coveted Thai 'long stay' visa not to expire until 2021.  However, I was obligated to return to America to deal with very important personal obligations, which were necessary to accomplish to enable me to live in Thailand as an expat for the majority of the years still before me. 

Thus, a rare return flight was ascertained on Qatar Airlines, and I departed on July 1st.  Now comes the very tough part, as I so wish to return to my new beloved 'Thai family' before the end of 2020.  As an American traveling from the very safe Isaan Region and coming back to "germ central" was certainly very concerning. 

Here I am immersed in a land where the "ultra free culture" has led to enormous numbers of cases of the Wuhan Flu; and alleged deaths of 200,000+.   

Now that the Kingdom is entertaining new policies to permit foreigners to return, I am very worried about anticipated extra scrutiny (apparently justified) American expats may be subject to as I seek to return.  Thus this expat is carefully monitoring the news on this crucial topic, and I welcome logical changes and news updates on same.

In case it hasn't been pointed out to you, referring to Covid 19 as "wuhan flu" or "chinese flu" is a very Trumpian ethnic slur against the Chinese people. The Chinese people are not responsible for it, it was not hatched nor escaped from a secret Chinese government lab, and there is a proper and widely accepted medical designation for it. For you to choose to use the ethnic slur rather than Covid 19 or coronavirus is a deliberate act on your part, and is telling about your character. Are you a MAGA Trumpie? Or just a typical American bigot?

I agree; it's not ok to alter the name of the corona virus / covid 19 to use it as a racial slur.  It already has two names; people can just express their racism directly, explaining dislike of Chinese people for whatever other reasons.  Or someone could pretend that they are a better human being than they actually are; that would be nicer.

Hi, I hope you make it back soon if not already, my wife and daughter are there, we were there renewing my wife's UK visa in march of this year 2020, but very unfortunate as the lock down affected my wife's visa application, one week and we would have been all back in the UK, I think it will be a while before I see them again, thank goodness for the Internet and face time,, sakon nakhon is where they are, we built a small house there when our daughter was born, lovely place lovely people Isaan region,, hope all goes well for you,, fingers crossed 🤞

The replies here are now getting personal and off topic. Please stick to the topic when posting to ensure the thread is not closed. Thank you.

I am fine you block my defending remarks, hope you block the posts that triggered my reactions as well. I'm sick of politics in everything now.  Those posts were an attack on me. Hope you defend everyone, not just who you side with.

As an update to the actual thread content, an initial group of Chinese tourists did arrive within the last few days (21 people, if I remember right).  A lot of expat locals are critical of the step, speculating that this doesn't seem to be a case of conventional tourism, but to some extent bringing in anyone is positive.  It would be best if they could get that ramped up; the 1200 tourists per month initially discussed as a pilot already was a low number, related to restoring tourism as an economic input. 

It's easy to see why keeping risk in check is a concern, and coordinating details could be problematic, but this directive really should be assigned priority, and a solution should be worked out.  If the default (resulting) approach is to delay until a vaccine settles the risk tourism of all kinds might be suspended until the middle of next year.

salut a tous, hi to everyone

Two things are clear from what I read. A bit of confusion and a hypersensitive person who took the wrong way the name of the virus.

Addressing the first item. I am legally married in Thailand and the marriage license has been provided to the US consulate. I flew from Thailand to USA at the end of January 2020 and could not go back to Thailand because of covid, coronovirus, wuhan flu whatever you sit fit to call this nasty virus that came from China (like many flu viruses in the past). 

So, I called the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles. I asked the charming lady who answered my call what was the best way for me to travel back to Thailand.......Here are the answers:
Just apply for a visa as a spouse of Thai national. You are certain to have it in a short time!
Apply for a real estate investor but no guarantee.......
The other visas that are available have already been mentioned by others here.

However the salt on the wound is the following:
everybody has to be in a Thai official institution/ building for a 2 weeks quarantine upon arrival.
If you are a Thai citizen...no charge
if you are not a Thai citizen, about $1200 for the quarantine

Now, the biggest caveat...... As doctor in biology I would ask:  How anyone would like to be in a building confined with other people that may have been infected? ???????? for the modest price of $1200???

Not me for sure!
I can tell you that the virus like any flu virus cannot be cured. However, there are simple medications on the market that downgrade the symptoms from a bad to a simple flu: decadron, eliquis, any antiviral, hydroxychloroqine (indeed).
The truth is by next year 1/2 to 3/4 of the population will have been exposed with or without symptoms to this virus. Why?  because it here to stay.

What would be smart to do is a rapid test at the departure airport. It takes 10 minutes for a swab test and its results. Repeat this test in a secured room at the arrival airport. That eliminates about 90% of the possibilities of exporting or importing the virus in Terra Nova. What about the possible 10%? just impose a tracking system or a self quarantine at home for 7 days after arrival. Ipso facto!  and very parsimonious.  I would also take with me a box of decadron, eliquis, any antiviral, and hydroxychloroqine. Just in case.
Remember for some this virus imitates the symptoms SLE and Lupus anticoagulant. Both also treated with  decadron, eliquis, and hydroxychloroqine.

Now, for our friend, who seems offended by the names of this virus. I would just say do like everybody. Grow a thick skin and ignore the putative offense that actually may have not been intentional. Think about the Japanese Encephalitis for instance.......should anyone be oversensitive to "Japanese"? Same question with Yellow Fever? I do not think so but it is my take as a doctor in biology.
Cheers to all!

There are two problems with Thailand accepting tourism visitors based only on testing:  the tests have a margin of error, and people can get the virus on the trip to the country.  The second is especially problematic because it takes an inconsistent number of days for the onset of the virus to make it testable.  If Thailand was willing to accept a limited scale outbreak, for new cases to occur, they could re-open tourism and deal with that certain outcome.  They're not ok with it, which I see as a reasonable stance. 

It's not just the .3% of people who might die as an issue (with mortality estimates a bit inconsistent), it's the impact of living in a country with an active pandemic occurrence to deal with.  European countries did successfully contain the virus, to limit it to a moderate case count and impact level, and now numbers are spiking all across that continent, as of the last two weeks.  The "herd immunity" theory, letting it run its course, is flawed, because it's now confirmed that people can get covid twice.  In some cases it can be more serious (have a higher health impact) in subsequent cases.

As far as people needing to be less sensitive to racial slurs, again I can agree to disagree.  Conventions for naming diseases being inconsistent is a bit odd, but converting the disease name into a form of blame for the origin country (China) doesn't add any value.  Trump was wrong to use that disease name as a political slur; given his role his use of speech should reflect more sensitivity and maturity.

Related to another point I didn't address, Thailand is more or less closed to tourism now, just not completely, but people can come to the country on a spouse visa, or with a valid work permit and work visa.

I am not sure what the US president has to do with the over reaction of someone about names, specially when biology interlaces with media and politics, which actually fosters a pandemedia that is worst than a real pandemic. Let's keep politics and religion out of biology and microbiology. As such the conversation will be more pleasant and devoid of any transgressions from the main point: a virus not matter where it came from.

You forgot a critical point in your reply: the presence of existing and cheap medications that really bring down this nasty virus to a "normal" flu. To me it amazing that no one dares mentioning those?!

I think that fear is a killer!!! and if the cure is worst than the illness, i.e. shutting down national economies, hence fostering loss of jobs, depression, drug and booze abuses for instance, then alternative measures should be considered. 

Agreeably there is no real victory, simply surviving a nasty bug that is not the plague or ebola!
let's keep that in mind because the question is not IF it could happen but WHEN it will happen.....so this virus although bad, has been over inflated by money mongers that are profiteering from the naivety and ignorance of the main population by distilling fear. Should you be a scientist, you would know the evolution of the search for the reality, rather than been inspired by media and their lies. And this is very awful to witness this  happening now a day. Not your fault by any means but this is the reality.

Thinking about the test before departure and at the arrival, trust me it works well. The idea you suggested that someone could catch covid during a flight is possible but you need to apply a parsimonious reasoning or at least maximum likelihood, two algorithm with a consistency index  that is often used in evolutionary biology.  Look for PAUP and McClade and TNT.

I just passing on the information. After all, I am Swiss, hence neutral by nature.
Cheers!

I'll leave most of that stand as your opinion, and not comment on it further, but the issue of potential treatments for corona virus is an interesting one.  It's not so simple to identify what does or doesn't help "cure" corona virus, because it takes larger scale clinical trials to separate out cases happening to resolve based on other factors (the disease "only" kills about .3% of whoever gets it).

Take hydroxycholoroquine as an example, the cure Trump advocated, but not one he actually used in his own disease case  (relevant since he was promoting disinformation, not because politicizing any fact adds relevant content):

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detai … hloroquine

On 17 June 2020, WHO announced that the hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) arm of the Solidarity Trial to find an effective COVID-19 treatment was being stopped.

The trial's Executive Group and principal investigators made the decision based on evidence from the Solidarity trial, UK's Recovery trial and a Cochrane review of other evidence on hydroxychloroquine.

Data from Solidarity (including the French Discovery trial data) and the recently announced results from the UK's Recovery trial both showed that hydroxychloroquine does not result in the reduction of mortality of hospitalised COVID-19 patients, when compared with standard of care.

The short version:  based on extensive study the World Heath Organization concluded that it doesn't help.  I suppose that even in cases where drugs are found to not be effective later use in a combined form could still be identified as positive.  To some extent the treatments that doctors are trying out are helping, but it's not as if the appropriate disease treatment is now largely resolved.  People are still dying.  Mortality rates never were easy to track, given that testing in most countries never was comprehensive enough to determine somewhat accurate numbers for cases.

I was wondering the same, why can't they just test you on arrival.
Does it only show up in the rapid test after the incubation period?
If it was a quarantine for 2 or 3 days sure, but it's actually 16 days.
And you have to take a Charter flight.
and you are confined to your room all of those days.
and you can't even have a beer, they said no alcohol :(
This is so depressing. I just happened to come back to the USA
middle of last NOV. If only I had known this was going to happen
I would have stayed there.  Now is almost 1 year since I've been with my GF.
I miss her to death.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoItvxyP1-pgsoJ3QZrfpSjJhtgq7A
I am thinking the reality will be at least another 5-6 months until things are more normal.
Fauci said it's possible by early december they will know if the vaccine works.
I heard they have taken chances and are already mass producing it
just in case it does work, so it will be ready to go.  A big financial risk for sure.

Good evening or morning to all,

As short reply to address the concerns rightfully raised by you and  bkk tea.

Again looking at WHO reports and I guess you obtain those through the media is a huge fallacy. I personally do not care about what Mr. Trump did do, say or not. I just do the research and read ONLY peer-reviewed publications.
Sorry, bkk tea, no media or google info ever influences a research and if those are the source of your information and ensuing thought process, then you are in deep trouble. So, just access a few good peer-reviewed publications, for instance 1) read what Dr. Didier Raoul did in Marseilles (although not the best), 2) read the abstracts of the Covid conference last month in Spain, as such you will obtain a much better information or understanding of what Covid is about.
Allow me to pass on a few details: this super flu truly fosters inflammations in various organs but chiefly blood vessels and blood itself, it is mostly a vascular disease, hence why an elevated Igm, Iga markers in blood tests and why so many old folks died of lung issues. In contrast, the 2009 super flu affected young people and 60 millions US folks got it. Yes 60 millions, not 9 millions.

The drugs I mentions are readily available and cheap are well known to reduce these inflammations (hydoxy and steroids chiefly) . REDUCE is the key verb in contrast to CURE. For instance I have (alas) 5 autoimmune diseases and I use these drugs (not the antiviral) daily to fight the damages these autoimmune diseases foster in my body. It works but does not cure the illnesses. It just appears that Covid produces the same symptoms than my 5 diseases. Therefore, not only I know this from peer-reviewed publications but also from a long personal experience.
Regarding a possible vaccine, well you already know the answer! It is like a seasonal flu vaccine, implying it will protect you as long as the virus does not mutate, and we all that covid already mutatetd 4 times at least.......so, I let you formulate your own conclusion..lol. Money mongers are going to be richer and the plebe is going to pay twice: by having to be vaccinated at a high $cost and still having 3or more% dying because of this non-scientific approach. I am sure you had the flu at least once in your life. Did you obtain a magic med to kill the virus? NO! You just went to the pharmacy to buy a few meds that helped you to reduce the fever, make you breath better an so forth. However, none of those killed the virus in your body, they just helped you immune system to fight the flu.  i hope you have a good sense of humor because you should have a good laugh looking at this George Carlin comedy that I believe was done 20 years ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=s … pp=desktop

In respect with the concern of the rapid test before and after flying. You mentioned incubation time. It is irrelevant because regardless of whether you are symptomatic or not, the swab test will show you positive if you have covid. Therefore, lets hypothesize that you have no symptoms and arrive at the departure airport. The test shows  you positive. Well, no luck you are not flying today!  The arrival test is only a formality for the country where you land and just in case that a mistake could have been made at the departure airport. Yes, you 100% correct, I was only referring to direct flights without lay over anywhere.
I have 3 surgeries the last 2 months and 2 coming up next week related for my illnesses and their ensuing damages. Every time I am tested for covid with this rapid test. It works and it is relatively cheap.

I hope it helps?  And Please trash all info that comes from any media! Just rely on peer-reviewed publications.

Cheers to all!
Dr.Grellet

One other thing to keep in mind is that prior to the peer review step content appearing in peer-review oriented journals really could be completely wrong.  People tend to miss that part.  The review step confirms that the research is meaningful and accurate. 

That makes it fairly difficult for people who aren't subject experts to get far with assessing the final, well-justified conclusions.  Papers will turn up saying that a specific drug could be of benefit in reducing corona virus impact, then others will say the opposite, and over time a consensus opinion will emerge.  To be honest I would trust the World Health Organization in making such an assessment over some guy commenting in an expat forum.

Or people can choose to believe whatever they want to believe; there's that approach.  Varying media sources will help them out, no matter how absurd their desired final positions are.  You can believe that the corona virus is "just a flu," and somehow turn a blind eye to the 226,000 people who have died of it in the US.  You can reject that wearing a mask or social isolation approaches are effective.  Living in your own artificial reality is normal enough now; why not?

You wrote:
"To be honest I would trust the World Health Organization in making such an assessment over some guy commenting in an expat forum."

I think we all agree with you,  as you are "the some guy commenting in an expat forum."
Cheers

you're even a Doctor and he is not listening
Reminds me of a seminar I went to years ago
talked about credibility, who's advice to listen to
and whose to not
everyone is an armchair psychologist now
and political expert... among many other things.
you said exactly right
do your own research
most news sites now are opinion and their own interpretations
gone are the days where they just reported facts
all news is like the national enquirer now
just want ratings and $$$$
and gone are the days where a photo or video or voice recording is proof of anything
all can be 'doctored' now
and gone are the days where people wait for convictions and proof of wrongdoing
before pitching a fit and rioting and looting.
R.I.P. Common Sense
take care

We share the same opinion!

In addition to what you mentioned: when I was at the university of Sydney, we had a mandatory seminar, as researchers, about how to speak to the press. The main issue is that once something is published the first time, then it is often just copied pasted by other media, hence amplifying the original errors of the first press release.
Take care!

We are both "some guy commenting in an expat forum."  People should be careful to take everything with a grain of salt, including what appears in research papers.  The whole point of peer review is that some of it will be confirmed and some later rejected.  Some treatments will seem promising initially then later prove not to be. 

The last thing you want to do is risk your health based on some dodgy forum discussion comment.  If it's tied to some abstract theme then why not; maybe the moon landings were fake, what does it matter.  Talking yourself into taking a trip during a pandemic because some article or joker says it's all good is something else entirely.

Hi

If I read you correctly, you FAVOR information from media, knowing that it is not data but an opinion mixed with pseudo information, rather than a peer-reviewed publication where the data and methods are clearly separated in 2 respective sections, both followed by a "discussion" where the interpretation of the author(s) is clearly explaining his interpretation of the data? You may not agree with the interpretation but you cannot refute the data. This is what we call: "Open book".
I hate to say that, but what you replied does not make too much sense.

In respect with conclusions changing in science. Well this why it is called science but not bible or Koran, where the scriptures are set in concrete for centuries regardless of the flow of new data and their interpretations. If you wish a set in concrete conclusion, I would recommend sitting in any religious establishment and pray a lot.
Take care!
Cheers

Hello,

I try to reach the Thai Embassy in Ottawa and the Thai long stay Company and I receive no answers from both of them.
I don't know where to have my answers.

Regards

Bonjour Normand740

I can tell you the Thai Embassy in LA, CA was most helpful and cordial. If you are married with a Thai citizen, you will obtain a long term tourist visa without any issue. However, there is still the quarantine in Thailand that you will need to pay for. I just was told that the Thai Govt. (now the land of compromise) may decrease this quarantine 14 days down to 10 days.
I do not know whether this has been implanted or not yet.
Seulement pour votre information: Hawaii has finally eliminated the quarantine and replaced it by a covid test 72 hours prior to arrival in Hawaii. Perhaps, other countries will follow this smart initiative?
Amities
Gerald

Allo Gerald the ultimate renegate,

No, I am not married to a thai woman. She is my girlfriend since 5 years.

You mention that the Thai Embassy im LA is more helpful and cordial compare to the one in Ottawa?

I don't know if I can contact the Embassy in LA.

Regards

Well, I can assure you the LA folks were cordial, and to the point.
I also know that that Thai Govt. is attempting to revive the tourism industry and facilitates farangs to go to Phuket, and other islands. You may want to investigate this option a bit more because you are not married. As such this may be a way for you to be reunited with your GF for a while at least?!
Cheers

Allo renegate,

I will try to reach the Thai embassy in LA, for more info.

Regards,