Where to buy fairly priced electronics? (monitors, harddrives, etc.)

I'm looking for a shop that has a variety of electronics at fair prices.

All the shops that have been recommended to me only seem to have the latest tech at slightly overpriced rates.
Are there any shops which sell things with reasonable prices, so I don't have to worry leaving it behind?

Right now looking for a secondary monitor, anything with an HDMI connector will basically do.

Any backyard shops with older models for that in Da Nang? 

Thanks!

A big part of why electronics seem overpriced in Vietnam is import tariffs.  Electronics that are made in Vietnam just enjoy the higher prices.  I suppose the government attitude is the common one to apply taxes where there is an ability to pay.  Both locals and foreigners who can afford smartphones, computers and accessories are assumed to be able to bear a slightly higher burden.

THIGV :

A big part of why electronics seem overpriced in Vietnam is import tariffs.  Electronics that are made in Vietnam just enjoy the higher prices.  I suppose the government attitude is the common one to apply taxes where there is an ability to pay.  Both locals and foreigners who can afford smartphones, computers and accessories are assumed to be able to bear a slightly higher burden.

Makes a lot of sense. I have a hard time imagining everybody is buying that shiny latest tech on a normal basis though :dumbom:
A grab driver once bought me to a backyard shop for an HDMI cable. I guess it's a little bit like going to vinMart or a little private street shop next door.

Still wondering why almost all the tech stores are the same though and they have so many of them all filled to the ceiling with Bose speakers and what not. And then my friend tells me how in their company they are sharing computers in day and night shifts just so that everybody has a workstation.

I guess I'll try Lazada then, although sometimes it's just nice to see and try what you buy first.

flothus :
THIGV :

Makes a lot of sense. I have a hard time imagining everybody is buying that shiny latest tech on a normal basis though :dumbom:
A grab driver once bought me to a backyard shop for an HDMI cable. I guess it's a little bit like going to vinMart or a little private street shop next door.

Still wondering why almost all the tech stores are the same though and they have so many of them all filled to the ceiling with Bose speakers and what not. And then my friend tells me how in their company they are sharing computers in day and night shifts just so that everybody has a workstation.

I guess I'll try Lazada then, although sometimes it's just nice to see and try what you buy first.

Also tiki.vn. I've used them a couple of times and they are pretty much the same. Found them cheaper actually for what I was buying.

re. electrical shops on street. here in Vung tau, I've found the chain ones are a lot more expensive than if it's a lesser known one/two branch outlet. Bought a fruit juicer about 6 months ago on sale at one of those lesser known places (still on a major road though) and it was the same price as lazada.

At the store, they unboxed it, showed all the bits and pieces, plugged it in to check, then boxed it again, and I could use it straight-away. I believe they also had a delivery service, but box was quite small so I bought it home on my motorbike.

Tiki.vn looks really good, will try that.
The storm tomorrow might hit us quite hard in Da Nang. So I should get all I need while I can and hope it will be fine :lol:   

Will ask the grab drivers, maybe they will be able to show me the lesser known stores around.

Vietnam IT market is not mature as in US, Europe or some Asian countries.
You will find the popular models / mainstream models in Vietnam but indeed at higher price (Not the same volume, not the same go to market / price structure,...) and you will find big variance of prices among all the resellers...
What is troublesome for me is many items that got great reviews from US or Europe, but are not "mainstream" / Volume based type of products, will be near impossible to find in VN. So the choice is not much.

Personally for all my purchase of electronics, I first good the models that I want (Based on reviews, feedback,...) and then I use https://websosanh.vn/ to check where is the cheapest price.
Websosanh doesn't list all resellers, so another google search can also help, but it does the job to get some good prices.

For Danang, I hope you purchased a UPS (Like APC Back UPS or Smart UPS) to protect your electronics or avoid any power outage or that bad quality of power damage your equipment.

dudumomo :

For Danang, I hope you purchased a UPS (Like APC Back UPS or Smart UPS) to protect your electronics or avoid any power outage or that bad quality of power damage your equipment.

That is true everywhere.  I had a problem in HCMC that in final analysis was not voltage but cycles related.  Help me on the tech as the term escapes me, but I think you need one that truly takes in the electricity and converts it on a continuous basis as opposed to one that lets the current through until it senses a problem.  I looked for and couldn't find an APC or similar in HCMC (this was 2013) so I bought a Chinese made one at Phong Vu.  It solved the cycles problem but couldn't work fast enough to keep my iMac from shutting down in an outage.  Actually it could run but I had to reboot on the backup power.  Not all models are the same.  Stick with the brands mentioned by dudumomo.