Discovery Health Africa Benefit

Good day all,

Anyone here on the Discovery Medical health Africa plan?
Can you tell me how it works for you re Doctors, medication etc?

I am currently on Discovery health medical aid in SA but want to find out if i must just go over to the Africa scheme or just rather get Medical insurance in Mauritius....

Looking forward to your replies!

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Did you stay with Discovery or cancel and move to a Mauritius company plan?

Anyone have an answer for the above?

@StefOlive if its international insurance this will work, in Mauritius now work permit needed for long stay from EDB and Passport office you will get permit,  when you have work permit,  medical is free in government hospital.

I did take the local medical insurance but its depends upon plan . You can contact swan insurance they can give you correct answer

@Marilise Ness

HI Marilise,

We relocated from SA 8months ago. Discovery did not cover us here. As far as I understand  the Africa benefit covers emergency travel back to country of origin... in a medical

emergency. Please clarify this with DH.

We have taken local medical healthcare with Swann. It was the most financially viable quote we received. The payment was for a year in advance though. Thankfully being covered by an employer this was handled from

their side. It was a

long process, quite a few delays. Alot

of medical history information was required from

previous doctors in SA as I had undergone two procedures.

Our benefits kicked in 01 November. Cards take a

month to be issued - heads up on that! So effectively you pay for a full year in advance but get 11 months as you don't get your card immediately. Perhaps with that in mind, you could approach it differently.

hope this helps.

Regards

Ash

@Marilise Ness

Hi Marilise , recently also relocated , we got my wife and 2 daughters under 5yrs on to Allianz Care International, as the were on Discovery hospital plan in SA , we took out something similar but added an outpatient plan as well , we spending $303 a month on these two plans for the 3 of them , cover activated as soon first payment received

An option to look into

Hope it helps