Philippines Freedom of Speech

I am happy to be born American and I am happy to have the English and Filipino heritage. Both of my grandparents fought World War II and we all know what was the war all about. We love our freedom very much that we fought for it to get our freedom back.

This post is not about WWII but the freedom of speech in the Philippines that we all so care about even if we do not have the right to vote.

In this time of millennia and technological advancement, the Philippines' journalism  ranked the second most Dangerous place in the world. The most recent event was a radio personality that was killed by a gunman (assassin style). In this article, http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/worl … lippines/, the Philippines ranked third most dangerous place to live if you are a journalist. It is only behind Iraq and Somalia. If you analyzed the top two countries, both Iraq and Somalia is recovering from the war. The Philippines has actually enjoyed freedom and slight economic progress but despite of that, it is included in the list. Lastly News24 ranked the Philippines as the world's worse place to be for the media (http://www.news24.com/World/News/Outspo … s-20110124).

Journalist play a key role to report events, corruption and any information that the public has the right to know so that businesses and society can respond accordingly.

Bloggers are volunteer writers who would provide immediate information to individual through searches of key words, experiences, etc.

What bothers me most is that I never thought that even through blog forum, some individual, particularly locals would do such subversion of facts. Using patriotism as defense is no brainer and literally using “degrading Filipinos” or “anti-Filipinos” in order to omit facts, truths and undermining integrity is plain wrong and unethical.

There are many Filipinos who campaign for transparency and there are also many Filipinos who prefer hiding the dirt and treating exposure of the ills and villains as ‘dispossessed'. In other words, there are Filipinos who wanted to adopt the ‘Fairness Doctrine' and there are also Filipino who are “paranoid pundits” that choose to look the other way around.

When I use the term ‘paranoid', I don't mean “paranoid” in the clinical sense. I am putting it, “it is the use of paranoid modes of expression by more or less normal people that makes the phenomenon significant.” ( by Bookman). This is how a civilization disappear.

Let us all rally for truths and facts. Let us not be intimidated by few bloggers who want to silenced us.

Useful links:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7830262.stmhttp://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerhe … ke-Somalia

Don't you know to distinguish FREEDOM OF SPEECH and FREEDOM OF PRESS? :dumbom:

Is that all you can throw ? Are your English vocabulary quite limited?

By definition, freedom of the press  is the liberty to speak openly without fear of government restraint and freedom of press includes both the right to speak and the right to be heard or commonly termed as 'freedom of expression'.

I do not know what is your whole point of responding but it seemed to me you are oblivious when it comes to legal jargon.

And if you are trying to brag about your understanding of the English language against a native speaker, you might as well review your grammar because you obviously don't know what's right from wrong.

I don't do nitpicking anyone just to showoff an ability. You never know the person you are trying to topple with might actually be more knowledgeable than you.

dumbom dumbom

funkydelicguy wrote:

Don't you know to distinguish FREEDOM OF SPEECH and FREEDOM OF PRESS? :dumbom:

female_expat > could you please stop this kind of aggressive response ? You're talking about freedom of speech but you can't politely reply to other members ?

Don't you realize you are discrediting yourself by posting this kind of message ?

I just read these two sentences and I am not interested in reading the rest of your message :|

THANK YOU!!

Julien wrote:

female_expat > could you please stop this kind of aggressive response ? You're talking about freedom of speech but you can't politely reply to other members ?

Don't you realize you are discrediting yourself by posting this kind of message ?

I just read these two sentences and I am not interested in reading the rest of your message :|

@ Julien

angelstirera and funkydelicguy are the most notorious members for me who uses  "degrading Filipinos" or posting ‘dispossessed' statement whenever I throw a non-positive but realistic comment.

The response from funkydelicguy was sarcastic in tone and trying to question my technical understanding of the phrase and therefore my answers were my most diplomatic response for a reason.

angelstirera wrote:

THANK YOU!!

+1

Julien wrote:

This is so true!:)

throw your essay arguments about the topic not just your one-liner sound bite and we'll see what you can come up with!

@female_expat please stop picking up fights.

Julien wrote:

this discussion is closed

Closed