Move from UK for NHR tax benefits - what can I expect?

Hi all - I'm a digital contractor and freelancer and am quite capable of working remotely. After learning about the NHR tax benefits of living in portugal (no income tax for 10 years) I've been considering the move. But after doing some initial research I've come across a lot of disheartening articles regarding loneliness and teething problems. I know it's easy to romanticise such a move so I was hoping someone on here could share their story and let me know what I'm possibly in for.

Thanks!

Loneliness:
-----------------

Anyone can find this unpleasant emotional feeling everywhere, including in his own country, city or street where he lives. Even in the marriage/other relationship or within his daily working colleagues circle. That depends only on by ourselves and the way we try to overcome that.

Surely you have read a lot of positive and negative posts in that topic started in 2015 and remains until now, "Expat loneliness - Does it get any better?". Anyone can reply to that, detailing a lot of good or terrible things about each country, .... USA, UK, Portugal, or whatever.  It all depends on each one's experiences, people they have met, day-to-day events or people who had a positive or negative influence on us in working places, relationships, friendships... This changes the perception of our reality and how we influence others.

There are posts that make me laugh. They speak as if Portugal were not an culturally-developed european country. As if in winter season, it rains much more there than anywhere where they have been to. They speak as if there is one national personality profile... There are many cluster of personalities, not only in big countries like USA but also in smaller ones. Eg. USA, in Ohio and Minnesota people are different from those in California and Arizona.

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases … sonalities

This study found that people in the friendly and conventional regions are typically less affluent, less educated, more politically conservative and less healthy compared to people in the other regions. The relaxed and creative states' residents are more culturally and ethnically diverse, more liberal, wealthier, more educated, comparatively healthy than those living in other regions.

What would they say if they were living in other than an friendly english speaking country where only a small % of the population would understand them. A few years ago I was in Moscow, even in the tube/underground everything was written in cyrillic characters. Finding the "Exit" way? Forget it.  Talking to someone in english was an almost impossible task, most of them revealed unkind to foreigners (it was my own perception). Just imagine living there while solving daily problems...

It is interesting to read how an American describes the loneliness she feels living in a country other than USA. It is a legitimate human feeling, we all know what it is at some moments in our lives. Anyone with sensitive feelings would help her to overcome it, even here in the forum. What about the opposite situation, someone that do not speak english, from other country, living in USA... and feeling loneliness? Without his own family, or just with his love of his life close by.
I know what I am talking about, especially since the 1950s due to a nearly 45-year-old dictatorship and bloody colonial wars in between, many Portuguese emigrated to the USA (and other western european countries). I know what they suffered on their own, if they would wanted to stay and working there. Many heard plenty of comments like this "if you don't speak English, if you don't adapt to our American way of life, go home". I would suggest that you read again posts #1, #51 and #60 of the previous topic, I guess everything is there.

In what concerns to live other country loneliness and build a social circle from scratch  ... after covid19, of course ;) you can:

- Join a Group/Club/Team
Being an active member of a group is an excellent way to meet people. You'll see the same people on a regular basis. This increases your chance of developing meaningful friendships when living abroad. Local gym, hiking clubs, tennis/ running/ swimming/ yoga/ surfing/ dancing classes, day trips to explore something, working in co-working spaces while meeting people from a wide range of countries, interests, expertise areas, ...

- Take a language class
Language classes are good for meeting other expats. They're also useful for trying to learn a language. Eg. start by initiating once a week lunch after the portuguese class. It would be nice to get to know them better outside of class.

- Connect with other expats through blogs/youtubers/Facebook groups
There are plenty. If you wish to contact some of them, leave comfort zone and start to make the first move to see if they're interested in meeting. There are 50K english people living in Portugal and english speaking expats much more.

Eg. Channel "Stay Classy Vlog"   https://www.youtube.com/c/JoenRudeFalsner

A danish young couple who lives in Lisbon but they travel a lot, from North to South inland but also in our islands, Azores and Madeira, mostly out of touristic spots. They show to their subscribers, 56000 actually,  their point of view as expats, and, why not, as digital nomads. With a good sense of humor, they show us a cleaver way to search for experiences and enjoy what life brings good to them, while sharing them to their subscribers. They (have done/are doing/hopefully will do) plenty of great videos in several parts of the country, I should say professional videos with a stunning editing, great sound mixing, good taste music selection, awesome drone images...

Theeth problems
---------------------------

You have a great advantage since you are quite capable of working remotely. These short-term problems that occur in the early stages of a new project can be solved, with support from other english speaking expats, new friends or recorring to a specialized help.

Eg. Please check this website created by Thomas K. Running: https://nomadgate.com/portugal/

Some subjects described here:
How to get a portuguese NIF for non-residents
How to open a bank account

Above I wanted to say "Teething problems" instead of "Theeth problems" ...  :huh:

And the topic I was talking about was: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=464402

Have a nice day  :)