What's changing in Portugal with the COVID-19 crisis

Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing well.

As the Editorial Team of Expat.com, our aim is to provide you with fresh and up-to-date information about the COVID-19 crisis in your host country. You might be expecting a lot of changes following the crisis, especially in terms of entry and visa requirements, work, buying property, education, etc.

Whether you're looking to relocate to Portugal after the crisis or you have already settled in, here's what you need to know:

Post-COVID-19 changes in Portugal

Hoping that this helps. Also, feel free to write to me should you have any useful information that we could add.

Many thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
Veedushi
Editorial Assistant, Expat.com

Hello,
You mention that the requirements are more lax since covid-19. I hold an italian passport and want to establish residency in portugal. If I don't need to apply at SEF, where shall I process my request. The Portuguese Embassy in San Francisco, Ca, remains closed to the public. Thanks in advance. Roxana

Hi Roxana,

Thanks for your message.

On this page, there's an email address you can write to for any queries regarding your visa application. Have you tried it?

All the best,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team

Hi,

I am a UK citizen, staying in Portugal over the summer. I wish to extend my stay by registering via the SEF and looking to attain a "Registration Certificate". Who can I contact in Albuferia area?

Thanks, Phil

rbellia wrote:

Hello,
You mention that the requirements are more lax since covid-19. I hold an italian passport and want to establish residency in portugal. If I don't need to apply at SEF, where shall I process my request. The Portuguese Embassy in San Francisco, Ca, remains closed to the public. Thanks in advance. Roxana

I remember that due to the Covid19, new procedures have to be followed. They are likely to be in teleworking processes... I suggest you to send an email with your questions to the consulate.

https://www.portaldascomunidades.mne.pt … -francisco

philportugal2020 wrote:

Hi,

I am a UK citizen, staying in Portugal over the summer. I wish to extend my stay by registering via the SEF and looking to attain a "Registration Certificate". Who can I contact in Albuferia area?

Thanks, Phil

I think you can apply online for the certificate of residence in Portugal

https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/pre-certidao-online.aspx

Hi JonnyPT,

Appreciate the link. I'm not at the stage of a visa, I only required local registration. I have cut and pasted the content from the SEF website:

REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE

FOR CITIZENS OF THE EU/EEA/SWITZERLAND

[Certificado de Registo para cidadão da UE/EEE/Suíça]

What do I need to...
The Registration Certificate is the document that formalizes the right of residence in Portugal and must be applied for by any EU/EEA/Switzerland citizen that remains in Portugal for a period exceeding three months. If the period of stay is inferior to three months it only mandatory to hold a valid Identity Card or Passport.

The right of entry, permanence and residence in Portugal covers the citizens of the European Union (EU), of the European Economic Area (EEA), Principality of Andorra and of Switzerland, as well as their respective family members.

Who may apply?
All citizens from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Where can I apply?
Check for: The Local Council of your place of residence.

When can I apply?
Once the first three months of you entering the country are over, you have a period of 30 days during which you must apply for the Registration Certificate.

What do I need to apply?
Documents and Requirements:

1. A valid Identity Card / Passport;

2. A written Affidavit declaring that you have a Professional activity as a worker or as self-employed in Portugal; or An Affidavit, declaring that you have sufficient funds for you and for your family, and that you are covered by health insurance when the same applies to Portuguese citizens in your country of origin;

If you are a student:

3. An Affidavit declaring that you are enrolled in an officially recognised school either public or private, and documental evidence – by means of an Affidavit or by other means of proof of your choice - that you hold sufficient funds to support yourself and your family, that you are covered by health insurance when the same applies to Portuguese citizens in your country of origin.

What does it cost?
€ 15,00
Other costs

What is the time frame to meet the request?
As a rule, this Certificate is issued immediately upon request.

Hi Phill,
But as far as I know, UK no longer belongs to the European Union or EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).  :sosad:

UK at the moment is " in limbo" , I don't even know if there is EU legislation as they are still in negotiation..... I really don't know, please look further with SEF.

These are uncertain times... But as Vera Lynn once sang....

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day :)

We are planning a move from USA to Portugal & have found the following information on Visas for USA to Portugal, updated in August, taking into account the COVID-19 situation.  According to the Portugese embassy, US citizens may only apply for:

Temporary stay visa for transfer of workers purposes for state parties to the WTO, for provision of services or professional training – E2
Temporary visa for research – E4
Student visas E6 and D4
Independent work/startup visa – D2
Highly qualified activity or cultural purposes, as well as, highly qualified subordinate activity –D3
Family reunification – D6
National Visa-D7

Our plan is to apply for the D7, which is for permanent moves for folks like retirees (like soon to be my husband & I ... counting the days).

I really wish you well, but this is a very difficult time to go through the immigration process. Getting an appointment at a SEF office now is backed up until March of 2021, if you are lucky, and you will need to travel to remote parts of the country for these appointments.

MSchmidt, were you referring to the US & my remarks?

philportugal2020 wrote:

What is the time frame to meet the request?
As a rule, this Certificate is issued immediately upon request.

I apologise for having answered your question incorrectly.

With the entry in force of the Withdrawal Agreement on 01 February 2020, the EU legislation in matter of the free movement of EU citizens is still applicable during a transitional period (until December 31st 2020).

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=908742

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : please create a new thread in the Portugal forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi all,
I want to come Portugal from India to attend a business meeting in Lisbon. I am fully vaccinated with Covishied vaccine in India. What are the current requirements to enter Portugal in Covid-19 situation ?

We just return August 31 from Portugal.  This is our experience with covid.

1. We needed a negative covid test to go to Portugal from US.  Verified at the US United Airlines checkin.  We also had to complete a placement form for Portugal to be verified at United Airlines.

2. Upon arrival in Lisbon we had to show the negative test at immigration.

3. Upon arrival at the hotel in Lisbon we had to show the negative test at the hotel.

4. Later, upon checkin to an AirBnB in Porto, we had to show a negative test, or in our case take a rapid test in the presence of the management company.

5. Upon returning to a Lisbon hotel, we had to show a negative test, or in our case, they accepted our vaccine card from the US.

6. We had to get a negative test to leave Portugal for the US.  The test was verified in the security line to check in for United airlines.  The pharmacy we went to conducted the test and we were emailed the results within 1 - 2 hours the day before our departure.  They were very helpful and spoke English.

To me it was stressful finding somewhere to get the test results within 72 hours.  It was actually easier in Portugal than here in central west Florida.  They even had mobile test units setup to assist.

AND YES!  Masks were everywhere!  It's like Portugal is where we were in the spring 2020.

Supposedly, to eat inside at a restaurant in Portugal you may need to show a negative test, a take a rapid test, but no one enforced this.

Good luck, we loved the Porto, Vila Nova de Gaia area.  Mid-50s at night low to mid-70s during the day, pleasant cooling breeze. Aveiro had similar weather.

COVID-19 | Measures implemented in Portugal

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/conten … d-portugal