New members of the VUNG TAU Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here

Hello,

I assume the New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020 post pops up for every city in Vietnam and thought I'd make a Vung Tau specific post for, obviously, those in and interested in Vung Tau specifically.

The Vung Tau forum also seems a little stale and I thought this might stimulate things (Clearly Facebook is the social network winner in the city – and world, I suppose – but it's nice to have an alternative especially for those who may not wish using Facebook for one reason or another).

Enjoy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/83/B%E1%BB%9D_bi%E1%BB%83n_V%C5%A9ng_T%C3%A0u.JPG/1599px-B%E1%BB%9D_bi%E1%BB%83n_V%C5%A9ng_T%C3%A0u.JPG

And here is my introduction:

Hello,

First came to Vung Tau mid 2011 and stayed a year. Subsequently been staying longer here and less time away, going on a total eight years now.

Used expat.com a number of years ago but found it only lightly used and deleted my account. Back on hoping there is a little more going on as I do not like and do not use Facebook.

I mostly keep to myself (more so currently) and do not have (m)any regular expat friends. I suppose my expectations are too high and people seem to generally dislike my vaguely leftist, sarcastic ways; I don't mind challenging conversations of even a political nature but I find that many people who disagree with me do so rather vehemently and aggressively (sometimes with nuances and innuendos of potential violence) which is amusing to watch for awhile but largely a drag.

I'm a creative type into art, design, photography and stories; my preferred method of transport is walking and I am currently considering getting a bicycle yet again.

I'm probably friendlier, more social and saner than I make myself sound. Or not? Almost always open to meeting up as you never who you may meet and I have also met some quality individuals in Vung Tau.

If you need any local information I may be able to help.

George Dorian wrote:

And here is my introduction:

Hello,

First came to Vung Tau mid 2011 and stayed a year. Subsequently been staying longer here and less time away, going on a total eight years now.

Used expat.com a number of years ago but found it only lightly used and deleted my account. Back on hoping there is a little more going on as I do not like and do not use Facebook.

I mostly keep to myself (more so currently) and do not have (m)any regular expat friends. I suppose my expectations are too high and people seem to generally dislike my vaguely leftist, sarcastic ways; I don't mind challenging conversations of even a political nature but I find that many people who disagree with me do so rather vehemently and aggressively (sometimes with nuances and innuendos of potential violence) which is amusing to watch for awhile but largely a drag.

I'm a creative type into art, design, photography and stories; my preferred method of transport is walking and I am currently considering getting a bicycle yet again.

I'm probably friendlier, more social and saner than I make myself sound. Or not? Almost always open to meeting up as you never who you may meet and I have also met some quality individuals in Vung Tau.

If you need any local information I may be able to help.

Big Deja Vu here...

There is a message that was posted here earlier this year somewhere on the Vietnam forum and the text is virtually identical to what you have just posted

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Big Deja Vu here...

There is a message that was posted here earlier this year somewhere on the Vietnam forum and the text is virtually identical to what you have just posted

It's the same post by the same poster.  I suggested that George Dorian repost it on the VT forum so anyone who plans to relocate here can take advantage of his offer to help.

Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Big Deja Vu here...

It's the same post by the same poster.  I suggested that George Dorian repost it on the VT forum so anyone who plans to relocate here can take advantage of his offer to help.

Right you are! This post:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880570&p=3#4921893

Glad to know I wasn't going crazy and that my memory still works a little bit. When I was a kid I used to love the game show "Concentration". I developed the ability to hold a lot of different stuff in a sort of mental cache.

George Dorian wrote:

I first lived in Vung Tau for a few months in late 2009 and returned in 2015 after living back in HCMC, then Phnom Penh and back in Vientiane. I've enjoyed my five years here for the most part. There are some advantages to staying here.

Yes, you have to be careful who you talk to down on Geezer Lane and in any bars around Front Beach. I pop in to get a bite to eat in a few select places or to pick up something at one of the expat shops. Other than that, I don't spend much  time around those spots.

By the way, your photo is at least a couple of years old. Fusion Suites is enhancing that view of Lighthouse Mountain now.

There was a time when I thought VT was improving, but now I'm not too sure. Not sure about other places in VN, and Laos is pretty much the only other country that interests me in the region, so I will stay into the coming year and see what happens.

johnross23 wrote:
George Dorian wrote:

I first lived in Vung Tau for a few months in late 2009 and returned in 2015 after living back in HCMC, then Phnom Penh and back in Vientiane. I've enjoyed my five years here for the most part. There are some advantages to staying here.

Yes, you have to be careful who you talk to down on Geezer Lane and in any bars around Front Beach. I pop in to get a bite to eat in a few select places or to pick up something at one of the expat shops. Other than that, I don't spend much  time around those spots.

By the way, your photo is at least a couple of years old. Fusion Suites is enhancing that view of Lighthouse Mountain now.

There was a time when I thought VT was improving, but now I'm not too sure. Not sure about other places in VN, and Laos is pretty much the only other country that interests me in the region, so I will stay into the coming year and see what happens.

Agree!
Too many drunkards here, most just hang around the bars and troll on the web. Thank god I live miles away from the riff-raff.

There are some decent blokes here, usually the ones who aren't barflies and actually do more than just drink and chase 50 dollar whores.

colinoscapee wrote:
johnross23 wrote:
George Dorian wrote:

Agree!
Too many drunkards here, most just hang around the bars and troll on the web. Thank god I live miles away from the riff-raff.

There are some decent blokes here, usually the ones who aren't barflies and actually do more than just drink and chase 50 dollar whores.

$43.07

I've been told...

It's Wikipedia's photo for their Vung Tau page.

I can't see the photo referenced.

Is it in color, black & white or Dorian Gray?

It would appear that like elsewhere on the Internet and world in general focus is not necessarily a strong point on this site either.

On the other hand what people end up discussing may actually say more about them than any personal introduction.

johnross23,

Now more than ever it seems conversational caution is wise practically anywhere you go although perhaps especially around westerners and those with a similar outlook. I try to avoid generalisations and realise I often reap what I sow. As such I wouldn't begin to define the percentages of the expat population by their philosophical and/or political perspective – I don't really even know how many expats, Western or otherwise, there are in Vung Tau but I can say my overall mood here slipped some when I first discovered the local expat groups; lots of seemingly fine people but also a lot of seemingly loud and asinine people who seem to have nothing better to do than prove the point themselves.

Easy enough and better not to use Facebook in my opinion although I appreciate it's potential usefulness, too (currently doing without).

As for progress, that's subjective. I have, however, been wondering why I've spent all this time the living in the city when I could be in a slightly more remote location in somewhere in BR-VT instead. A lot of it comes down to convenience although it's not that difficult to get what you need to check out and get by.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It's a color photo in Post #1.

johnross23 wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It's a color photo in Post #1.

Oh... 🤭

Try

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vung_Tau

it's the first photo in the right column titled Vũng Tàu, as seen from Villa Blanche

taken by Wikipedia user Hoangvantoanajc on June 4, 2010 apparently.

George Dorian wrote:

Try

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vung_Tau

it's the first photo in the right column titled Vũng Tàu, as seen from Villa Blanche

taken by Wikipedia user Hoangvantoanajc on June 4, 2010 apparently.

I think you were right in your introduction...

George Dorian wrote:

johnross23,

Now more than ever it seems conversational caution is wise practically anywhere you go although perhaps especially around westerners and those with a similar outlook. I try to avoid generalisations and realise I often reap what I sow. As such I wouldn't begin to define the percentages of the expat population by their philosophical and/or political perspective – I don't really even know how many expats, Western or otherwise, there are in Vung Tau but I can say my overall mood here slipped some when I first discovered the local expat groups; lots of seemingly fine people but also a lot of seemingly loud and asinine people who seem to have nothing better to do than prove the point themselves.

Easy enough and better not to use Facebook in my opinion although I appreciate it's potential usefulness, too (currently doing without).

As for progress, that's subjective. I have, however, been wondering why I've spent all this time the living in the city when I could be in a slightly more remote location in somewhere in BR-VT instead. A lot of it comes down to convenience although it's not that difficult to get what you need to check out and get by.

Yes, living in the Phan Chu Trinh area is surely convenient but it must rather limiting if getting around on foot. That certainly has to affect a person's mood.

Actually, you don't mention if you live there or not. If you are, currently as you know, there are lots of good deals on accommodation around town. Moving out of the neighborhood can result in a whole new perspective.

As for the Facebook expats in Vung Tau groups, I'm not a member of any but browse them regularly for the rare bit of useful information and more often the local gossip and unintended humor. Some of the posts and comments are pure comedy.

I first visited VT 5 yrs ago for a short holiday, liked it because it's more than just a beach, went back for a couple more holidays, met a charming lady whilst walking along Back Beach one day ... now we've been married for 3 yrs and have a young son.  Intend to stay in VT, as we both like it.  My wife comes from a village inland where I couldn't live because there isn't enough to do, and we both have friends in VT now.

Never heard it called Geezer Lane before but know which street johnross23 must have in mind :).  Agree w/ Colin about the barflies and have little time for men who don't respect women, but sometimes I am grateful to find other EN speakers to talk with and, if in the right bar, watch cricket or rugby with.

Was abroad when VN closed its borders to keep out the virus, haven't been able to get back since, so haven't seen wife nor son since January :(.  Hoping that will change soon.  Will be really annoyed if can't be back for Xmas.

AlmostDunRoamin wrote:

Never heard it called Geezer Lane before but know which street johnross23 must have in mind :).  Agree w/ Colin about the barflies and have little time for men who don't respect women, but sometimes I am grateful to find other EN speakers to talk with and, if in the right bar, watch cricket or rugby with.

In case anyone is wondering, "Geezer Lane" of course refers to Đường Phan Chu Trinh. This street, which runs behind Núi Nhỏ (Small Mountain) below the Jesus statue and the lighthouse, contains an abundance of inexpensive accommodation, western-style pubs such as Belly's Watering Hole, Cheap Charlies, the Corner Bar, etc. and several small international restaurants including OMG, Luca Italian, Rio Taco, and Taj Grill as well as the Q-Mart, where can get your flax seed oil, mango-date cake, multi-grain bread, French preserves, granola bars, etc.

johnross23 wrote:

In case anyone is wondering, "Geezer Lane" of course refers to Đường Phan Chu Trinh.

I'm not a geezer and neither is my husband in spite of our ages and street address !   :o

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Agree!

$43.07

I've been told...

what low life gave her the .07? - all of them she said,,,,

Ciambella wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

In case anyone is wondering, "Geezer Lane" of course refers to Đường Phan Chu Trinh.

I'm not a geezer and neither is my husband in spite of our ages and street address !   :o

Yes, it would be more accurate for "Geezer Lane" to refer to a more specific section of Phan Chu Trinh Street starting from around the Peace and Love Bar and extending to Leo Pizza.

Actually, the term should be considered as a socio-anthropological concept rather than a physical location.

Anyway, I think that designation would exclude your residence.

johnross23 wrote:

Yes, it would be more accurate for "Geezer Lane" to refer to a more specific section of Phan Chu Trinh Street starting from around the Peace and Love Bar and extending to Leo Pizza.

:up:

johnross23 wrote:
AlmostDunRoamin wrote:

In case anyone is wondering, "Geezer Lane" of course refers to Đường Phan Chu Trinh. This street, which runs behind Núi Nhỏ (Small Mountain) below the Jesus statue and the lighthouse, contains an abundance of inexpensive accommodation, western-style pubs such as Belly's Watering Hole, Cheap Charlies, the Corner Bar, etc. and several small international restaurants including OMG, Luca Italian, Rio Taco, and Taj Grill as well as the Q-Mart, where can get your flax seed oil, mango-date cake, multi-grain bread, French preserves, granola bars, etc.

Are there two Corner Bars now?

colinoscapee wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Are there two Corner Bars now?

Actually, the one on PCT may be called the "Corner Cafe". Anyway, it's located on a corner and is essentially an open-air bar where people watch TV. I've passed it thousands of times but, for some reason, have yet to enjoy the pleasure of patronizing the place.

johnross23 wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Actually, the term should be considered as a socio-anthropological concept rather than a physical location.

This geezer is returning to PCT at the end of the month.

Let's do dinner again buddy.