Teaching English as a source of income

I enrolled in a tefl course a few days ago to get my certification to teach English internationally online. I have a friend of mine already in Pampanga teaching English and he gave me his view on it but I'm curious from the members in here is teaching English online two foreign companies a lucrative source of income to live in the Philippines9

i dont think anything in philippines is "lucrative" i met a guy on the bus from the U.S. who was teaching at a collage here,he was new here. he said he has not been paid yet after several months and was living with his girlfriends family who was very nice to him. my wife saw him a month or so later on the bus and he told her he was going back to the US because his wifes father is angry with him and his girlfriend is not being "friendly" anymore and he has still not been paid for his teaching.

The Filipino's are very proud and like to teach English at schools and colleges.

The best you good do would be to teach it online to Chinese, etc.  Try doing that first from your home country.  It will give you a small income, maybe 500php a day, depending how many students you have.

I have also thought about taking a TEFL course but i was looking at doing it in the country I intend to teach. I understand there is a lot more support doing it this way with finding somewhere to rent, finding a school to teach in, visa application, etc. Also you do get to teach in the country you choose on the course and meet other people who have already secured a teaching position. I understand there is also a get to know each other meal before and some sightseeing. I hear for instance that the salary in Vietnam for a qualified teacher with a degree is good and even teaching without a degree is possible.
Have you ever thought about maybe teaching English outside the Philippines, elsewhere in South East Asia before moving.

Tariq072283 wrote:

I enrolled in a tefl course a few days ago to get my certification to teach English internationally online. I have a friend of mine already in Pampanga teaching English and he gave me his view on it but I'm curious from the members in here is teaching English online two foreign companies a lucrative source of income to live in the Philippines9

Okay .. Good luck with the course and yes you will get work online.. The problem with online teaching is you need a good connection . A good connection in the Phil is "Line of sight to the tower transmitting your signal" So get a Condo on the fourth floor and make sure you can see the tower through a pair of binoculars at least. a 3rd or fourth floor condo will help get you away from the Noise ....Dogs ,Chickens,Pigs and the biggest noise of all ... Music & Trikes blowing their Horns.

NO .. It's not a lucrative source to live on by itself in the Philippines , expect to earn between 8-10,000 PHP per month as a "Newbe" teacher.    You can double that with experience teaching IELTs & Cambridge courses. 
You will not be able to get legal "Class Room" work on the ground so to speak .. but !!!! there are ways to get Private Class Room work ... those classes are not worth it as the payment is a pittence .

Soonretired wrote:

i dont think anything in philippines is "lucrative" i met a guy on the bus from the U.S. who was teaching at a collage here,he was new here. he said he has not been paid yet after several months and was living with his girlfriends family who was very nice to him. my wife saw him a month or so later on the bus and he told her he was going back to the US because his wifes father is angry with him and his girlfriend is not being "friendly" anymore and he has still not been paid for his teaching.

running place that sell TEFL certification is pretty lucrative

Yes but the printer ink on Manila paper does tend to blot and spread due to the humidity ..  The best place to print a TEFL Certificate is in a Bakery as the air is dry & free from moisture . Applying the Seal which must be an embosser.. One needs to be careful to make sure that it is clean from garlic ,  my assistant mistook it as a kitchen utensil while my back was turned and proceeded to crush some cloves

Nuckinfuts wrote:

Yes but the printer ink on Manila paper does tend to blot and spread due to the humidity ..  The best place to print a TEFL Certificate is in a Bakery as the air is dry & free from moisture . Applying the Seal which must be an embosser.. One needs to be careful to make sure that it is clean from garlic ,  my assistant mistook it as a kitchen utensil while my back was turned and proceeded to crush some cloves

You can get a certificate for anything, for example I can sell you a deed giving you ownership of beach property extending 100 meters out into the ocean or I can even provide you a license to sell deeds.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Nuckinfuts wrote:

You can get a certificate for anything, for example I can sell you a deed giving you ownership of beach property extending 100 meters out into the ocean or I can even provide you a license to sell deeds.

Yes....I've seen it being done here way back in the early 1990's...they simply flip these new fake certs over boiling tea to give it a crispy old look!
(No blotting either!)

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Nuckinfuts wrote:

How much? Discount for 100 or more?
Back to the OP and OMO a difficult road with lots of competition.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

How much? Discount for 100 or more?
Back to the OP and OMO a difficult road with lots of competition.

Cheers, Steve.

Well it depends if you want a TEFLon that's a little more, but I give you a certificate to be moderator on this forum free with your order.

I've heard of OFW's being sent back home when these same certs they had produced earlier for employment overseas were found to be fakes!
Now you mention it I may be holding onto a fake property title!
:o

Legitimate rings a bell Bob and being a moderator on any site looking after all us clowns also smacks of danger given some of the replies I have witnessed over the years in retaliation for having a post/submission doctored or removed. Give credence to our governors and the work they do to keep an open forum on track,,,,,,,, Nope, give the free teflon coated moderators certificate to one that is patient and committed.

Of course to keep within this thread I will also add to the OP that doing business in any developing or third world country requires a lot of research and then stamina to complete your mission. Good luck and I hope you prosper.

Cheers, Steve.

Nuckinfuts wrote:

Why would you put your embosser in the kitchen or office pantry?

If it's in your office, why would someone crush garlic with your embosser, stink up the office, also knowing that he / she might have to clean it up?

Why would anyone bring garlic cloves to work? Does your assistant suspect that you're vampire? LOL.

Check out YouTube for better information, this thread went sideways.