First impressions after moving to Russia

Hello everyone,

You probably have vivid memories of your first weeks as an expat in Russia. Indeed, moving to a new country is a milestone in someone's life.

Today, we invite you to share with the community how you experienced your first steps in this country.

Excitement, joy, worry: What was your main feeling when you arrived in Russia?

How has your state of mind changed over time?

Have you called upon expatriate support associations? If so, what was their role in your local integration?

What was the impact of your new environment (climate, setting, professional environment) on your mental health?

Is it easy to socialize in Russia? What advice would you give to newcomers to meet people, make new friends and build a strong professional network there?

Thank you for your contribution!

Have a nice day,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

My first move to Russia was in February 2010. At that time my phone was a Blackberry (no google map, no google translator, ...). Russia is an amazing country to relocate. People are harsh ...but once the ice is broken they become real loyal friends. Give them a chance!!

Find after the good, the bad and the ugly experience of my first time living in Russia as well as some advises :
The GOOD - Weather was super cold. A real Russian winter with blue sky and -15°c during the day. If you wear a hat and proper coat, it's really enjoyable
The BAD - I didn't know any cyrillic alphabet and therefor impossible to find my way
The UGLY - If you look like a tourist, you can easily be screwed

My advises :
1. Study the cyrillic alphabet BEFORE coming over. Russian language is phonetic, if you know the alphabet, you can read and you will be surprised how much word comes from French or even English once you know how to read them
2. Buy a hat or chapka in the winter and wear gloves. If you walk on the red square, the tourists are the one without ;-). Do not walk with your hands in the pocket as the pavement are very slippery and NEVER walk alongside a building as ice could fall from the roof.
3. Use Metro, but beware of pickpocket, Metro is super efficient and the fastest way to go from point A to point B. On top of that, some station are purely amazing
4. Taxi are very cheap. Use Yandex Taxi or Uber or Get. Cars are of great quality is +-5 times cheaper than in London. Don't hop into a taxi like you would do in NewYork, this is the best way to pay the London price )))
5. Moscow is like any international megalopol, you'll find anything you need if you know where to search
6.  Forget what you have seen on CNN. No there is no bear in the street and NO, not all Russian get always drunk with Vodka. These are stereotypes and the Russian culture as many layers that deserves to be discovered.
7. BUT, never run a drink contest with a Russia.... you will lose
8. Visit the country. It's 47 times the size of Germany and you'll find amazing landscape.

Dear, Vani1973
Waw great experience thank you very much for your experience sharing. It will be a good input for me after reopened the boarder.