First impressions after moving to Japan

Hello everyone,

You probably have vivid memories of your first weeks as an expat in Japan. Indeed, moving to a new country is a milestone in someone's life.

Today, we invite you to share with the community how you experienced your first steps in this country.

Excitement, joy, worry: What was your main feeling when you arrived in Japan?

How has your state of mind changed over time?

Have you called upon expatriate support associations? If so, what was their role in your local integration?

What was the impact of your new environment (climate, setting, professional environment) on your mental health?

Is it easy to socialize in Japan? What advice would you give to newcomers to meet people, make new friends and build a strong professional network there?

Thank you for your contribution!

Have a nice day,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

"What was your main feeling when you arrived in Japan?                                                 

I arrived in Tokyo at night during the humid rainy season and I could swear that I was in the movie Blade Runner!

I moved here September 1st 2013.  While our condo was be updated we spent six weeks staying at various hotels within the Yokohama area.  My Japanese wife could not have planned a better entry for me.  Even though I could not speak the language I was able to quickly learn the various local train routes, the best restaurants, and the many attractions that my city has to offer.  It was a great experience.  My diet changed significantly and my healthy lifestyle improved dramatically.   Once we moved into our home I began to venture out on daily walks by myself.  I met people who were trying their English out and others who were very kind to me as I tried to ask directions. As as result I have many good Japanese friends.  Now seven years later my impressions are still very positive.  I have traveled all eight regions and written over 150 articles about Japan and my experiences.  I can not think of a better place to live out my life then here.

My first impression when arriving on Kyoto was « wow »

I immediately fell in love with the beauty of the city, I really loved how people were so nice to us, so helpfull,..

Planning to move there for at least 2 years as soon as COVID will not be in the way anymore..

Also planning to move to Japan ? Where ?

reywatwrite wrote:

I moved here September 1st 2013.  While our condo was be updated we spent six weeks staying at various hotels within the Yokohama area.  My Japanese wife could not have planned a better entry for me.  Even though I could not speak the language I was able to quickly learn the various local train routes, the best restaurants, and the many attractions that my city has to offer.  It was a great experience.  My diet changed significantly and my healthy lifestyle improved dramatically.   Once we moved into our home I began to venture out on daily walks by myself.  I met people who were trying their English out and others who were very kind to me as I tried to ask directions. As as result I have many good Japanese friends.  Now seven years later my impressions are still very positive.  I have traveled all eight regions and written over 150 articles about Japan and my experiences.  I can not think of a better place to live out my life then here.

You had the advantage of a Japanese wife,  we love Japan but it would be slightly more problematical starting a cafe if both of us are non-Japanese... ?